U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2016, 11:57 AM

7,828 posts, read 6,260,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Why don't the Wizards move to an area between Baltimore and Washington? Ellicot City, Beltsville, College Park area?
No. We want our OWN team, not share a DC team. We want a basketball team in our own metropolitan area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 12:21 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,512,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Cleveland deserves an NFL team
lol

Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM

18,701 posts, read 27,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
No. We want our OWN team, not share a DC team. We want a basketball team in our own metropolitan area.
Unfortunately I think an NBA team in Baltimore would be an oversaturation for the market. It's a perfect size for two teams.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:08 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,693,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Both of which are isolated (from other major league fan bases) and draw from a much larger region for their fan base. Plus, I forgot about the BJ's in Columbus.
I mean, Columbus is about equidistant from Cleveland and Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has the Penguins. I don't see why Cleveland couldn't have a team too.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Unfortunately I think an NBA team in Baltimore would be an oversaturation for the market. It's a perfect size for two teams.
Cleveland has 3 professional teams, and is a smaller metro than Baltimore, so I don't see how there would be an over saturation. Devner is the same size as the Baltimore Metro, yet is has 3 professional teams.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Cleveland has 3 professional teams, and is a smaller metro than Baltimore, so I don't see how there would be an over saturation. Devner is the same size as the Baltimore Metro, yet is has 3 professional teams.
Denver is a special case and is actually a bad example. It also has 4 teams. There isn't another major city surrounding it for at least 600 miles and they command a very large footprint of fans. Cleveland is maybe the outlier but understand that two of the three teams were founded when it was one of the larger metro areas in the nation. The Indians are historic as are the Browns. The Cavs came in the early 70s but there isn't another NBA team in Ohio and there wasn't another team just down the road from them. What hurts Baltimore is simply being to close between two metros of at least 6 million people (two times bigger than Baltimore at least) with much larger corporate bases and economies.

Most metro areas the size of Baltimore have 2 teams. The only ones that have more are Cleveland and Pittsburgh (cities that have had teams when it ranked much higher at the time). The rest such as Kansas City, Cincinnati, St Louis (now), Charlotte, and San Diego have two and some metros that are near the same size have only one.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Denver is a special case and is actually a bad example. It also has 4 teams. There isn't another major city surrounding it for at least 600 miles and they command a very large footprint of fans. Cleveland is maybe the outlier but understand that two of the three teams were founded when it was one of the larger metro areas in the nation. The Indians are historic as are the Browns. The Cavs came in the early 70s but there isn't another NBA team in Ohio and there wasn't another team just down the road from them. What hurts Baltimore is simply being to close between two metros of at least 6 million people (two times bigger than Baltimore at least) with much larger corporate bases and economies.

Most metro areas the size of Baltimore have 2 teams. The only ones that have more are Cleveland and Pittsburgh (cities that have had teams when it ranked much higher at the time). The rest such as Kansas City, Cincinnati, St Louis (now), Charlotte, and San Diego have two and some metros that are near the same size have only one.

Other metros may or may not effect Baltimore's fan base, which transcends censes designated boundaries. Has Cleveland's metro been, at any time, larger than it is now? Furthermore, Baltimore had 3 teams before the Bullets moved to DC, and the Baltimore metro was smaller then than it is now. With that being said, any DC professional is no team of Baltimore. I know there is an attempt, by the owner of the Wizards, Ted Leonsis, to stop basketball from coming to Baltimore and infringing on the DC media market. We want our own team.

Last edited by KodeBlue; 01-15-2016 at 07:21 PM..

Old 01-16-2016, 10:06 AM

1,447 posts, read 2,309,052 times
Strictly discussing teams that currently have no major league teams, IMO the best candidates are:

Louisville: No pro teams in the entire state of Kentucky. Louisville had a successful ABA team and the state is basketball crazy. I think they are a natural fit for an NBA team. Obviously home to a popular college basketball team, but I think there is room for them and an NBA team. (Seattle is also a natural for an NBA team, though of course Seattle has other teams so I am not listing them in this thread)

Las Vegas: I believe the largest city w/o a pro team. Obviously the big issue here is gambling. I think they will eventually get a team, not sure what league. I know there were plans for a venue that could host an NHL team, but I'm not sure of the status on that.

Austin: A pretty big city, I think the major obstacles are that there are so many other Texas teams and that U of Texas is so popular.

Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach/Norfolk: this is a large area when combined, but b/c it is multi-nodal there would be arguments on where to locate a venue. Also a large military presence which makes the population possibly even more transient than other cities. I believe Virginia is the most populous state w/o a pro team.

Richmond: Another Virginia city. I think they suffer from proximity to the much larger DC.

Some other possibilities: Providence, Hartford, Birmingham

Old 01-16-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Other metros may or may not effect Baltimore's fan base, which transcends censes designated boundaries. Has Cleveland's metro been, at any time, larger than it is now? Furthermore, Baltimore had 3 teams before the Bullets moved to DC, and the Baltimore metro was smaller then than it is now. With that being said, any DC professional is no team of Baltimore. I know there is an attempt, by the owner of the Wizards, Ted Leonsis, to stop basketball from coming to Baltimore and infringing on the DC media market. We want our own team.
I made a long post. I have no idea where it went. When Cleveland had 3 teams, it was one of the larger metros in the nation. Im 1950, Cleveland was the 10th largest metro in the US. It's not that Cleveland got smaller. It's that many other metros in the South and West zoomed past Cleveland. You can make an argument that Cleveland of today has too many teams. Pittsburgh is probably another city that probably has to many teams but their teams like Cleveland is historic. Remember, the Penguins were one foot out the door a few years back before they got Syd. Pittsburgh at the time in 1950 was the 8th largest metro. Baltimore has a similar story. It was the 12th largest market in 1950. Neither are obviously where they use to be.

Market size really matters more than the actual MSA population in these conversations. Cleveland is the 18th largest TV market in the nation. Denver is the 17th largest. Baltimore is the 26th largest market. If you look at the other markets in Baltimore's level as far as TV market is concerned, they have the same number of teams. 24 is Portland (Blazers and I guess Timbers), 25 is Raleigh (Hurricane), 27 is is Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers), 28 is San Diego (Padres and Chargers for now), 29 is Nashville (Predators and Titans). The only other market from 20-25 that has three teams is Pittsburgh and they aren't stuck between Philadelphia and Washington like Baltimore is. If Baltimore was a metro of 4 million which would probably place the market in near the top 20 or maybe inside of it and the corporate base increases, I can see an NBA team there. But for now, it would probably be over saturation.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:46 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,136,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Strictly discussing teams that currently have no major league teams, IMO the best candidates are:

Louisville: No pro teams in the entire state of Kentucky. Louisville had a successful ABA team and the state is basketball crazy. I think they are a natural fit for an NBA team. Obviously home to a popular college basketball team, but I think there is room for them and an NBA team. (Seattle is also a natural for an NBA team, though of course Seattle has other teams so I am not listing them in this thread)

Las Vegas: I believe the largest city w/o a pro team. Obviously the big issue here is gambling. I think they will eventually get a team, not sure what league. I know there were plans for a venue that could host an NHL team, but I'm not sure of the status on that.

Austin: A pretty big city, I think the major obstacles are that there are so many other Texas teams and that U of Texas is so popular.

Hampton Roads/Virginia Beach/Norfolk: this is a large area when combined, but b/c it is multi-nodal there would be arguments on where to locate a venue. Also a large military presence which makes the population possibly even more transient than other cities. I believe Virginia is the most populous state w/o a pro team.

Richmond: Another Virginia city. I think they suffer from proximity to the much larger DC.

Some other possibilities: Providence, Hartford, Birmingham
I do agree about the first 4 however Richmond, Birmingham, Hartford and Providence are too small city population wise along with Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or