Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 01:10 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I made a long post. I have no idea where it went. When Cleveland had 3 teams, it was one of the larger metros in the nation. Im 1950, Cleveland was the 10th largest metro in the US. It's not that Cleveland got smaller. It's that many other metros in the South and West zoomed past Cleveland. You can make an argument that Cleveland of today has too many teams. Pittsburgh is probably another city that probably has to many teams but their teams like Cleveland is historic. Remember, the Penguins were one foot out the door a few years back before they got Syd. Pittsburgh at the time in 1950 was the 8th largest metro. Baltimore has a similar story. It was the 12th largest market in 1950. Neither are obviously where they use to be.

Market size really matters more than the actual MSA population in these conversations. Cleveland is the 18th largest TV market in the nation. Denver is the 17th largest. Baltimore is the 26th largest market. If you look at the other markets in Baltimore's level as far as TV market is concerned, they have the same number of teams. 24 is Portland (Blazers and I guess Timbers), 25 is Raleigh (Hurricane), 27 is is Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers), 28 is San Diego (Padres and Chargers for now), 29 is Nashville (Predators and Titans). The only other market from 20-25 that has three teams is Pittsburgh and they aren't stuck between Philadelphia and Washington like Baltimore is. If Baltimore was a metro of 4 million which would probably place the market in near the top 20 or maybe inside of it and the corporate base increases, I can see an NBA team there. But for now, it would probably be over saturation.
That I can agree with. That's for explaining more in-depth so that now I get why we don't have a team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM

22,379 posts, read 38,686,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I made a long post. I have no idea where it went. When Cleveland had 3 teams, it was one of the larger metros in the nation. Im 1950, Cleveland was the 10th largest metro in the US. It's not that Cleveland got smaller. It's that many other metros in the South and West zoomed past Cleveland. You can make an argument that Cleveland of today has too many teams. Pittsburgh is probably another city that probably has to many teams but their teams like Cleveland is historic. Remember, the Penguins were one foot out the door a few years back before they got Syd. Pittsburgh at the time in 1950 was the 8th largest metro. Baltimore has a similar story. It was the 12th largest market in 1950. Neither are obviously where they use to be.

Market size really matters more than the actual MSA population in these conversations. Cleveland is the 18th largest TV market in the nation. Denver is the 17th largest. Baltimore is the 26th largest market. If you look at the other markets in Baltimore's level as far as TV market is concerned, they have the same number of teams. 24 is Portland (Blazers and I guess Timbers), 25 is Raleigh (Hurricane), 27 is is Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers), 28 is San Diego (Padres and Chargers for now), 29 is Nashville (Predators and Titans). The only other market from 20-25 that has three teams is Pittsburgh and they aren't stuck between Philadelphia and Washington like Baltimore is. If Baltimore was a metro of 4 million which would probably place the market in near the top 20 or maybe inside of it and the corporate base increases, I can see an NBA team there. But for now, it would probably be over saturation.

Yeah Cleveland is a bigger market than people realize. Akron and the area are only 30 minutes from DT Cleveland yet a separate MSA and another 1 Million people

Old 01-17-2016, 01:38 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yeah Cleveland is a bigger market than people realize. Akron and the area are only 30 minutes from DT Cleveland yet a separate MSA and another 1 Million people
What media market is Harrisburg in? It sits smack in the middle between 3 large metros (Bal, Pit, Phi).

Old 01-17-2016, 03:30 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Harrisburg has its own media market. 43rd largest in the nation and that's a nice sized. Bigger than several cities that have teams. The main thing going against Harrisburg is that it is in Pennsylvania.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:47 PM

1,100 posts, read 1,410,136 times
St. Louis deserves an NFL team....

Old 01-17-2016, 05:17 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,887,003 times
Garber, the Major League Soccer (MLS) Commissioner states that Sacramento and Saint Louis are frontrunners to get expansion teams when the league expands from 24 to 28 in the coming years (currently only has 20 teams with 4 in various stages of expansion already). Los Angeles FC, Atlanta United FC, Minnesota FC, and Miami FC are the next 4 approved expansions that will take the league from 20 to 24 in the coming years. After those expansions are concluded, the next wave of MLS expansions will be underway to expand the league from 24 to 28. Saint Louis, Sacramento, San Antonio, and one of the North Carolina cities are widely seen as frontrunners to land a team in the next wave of expansions.

Manfred, the Major League Baseball (MLB) Commissioner is also looking into "potentially" expanding the league from 30 to 32 and has his sights set on expansion to Montreal first. Makes sense, as Montreal has been on MLB's shortlist since the Expos decamped for Washington D.C. a couple of decades back.

Bettman, the National Hockey League (NHL) Commissioner has progressed the expansion stage past phase 3 and it is now increasingly more likely that both Las Vegas and Quebec City will get their expansion NHL teams sooner rather than later.

There are no expansions currently in either NBA and NFL and likely there wont be for quite some time. In the case of NBA expansion, speculation is that Seattle and Montreal would be the frontrunners, as the NBA will look to expand by 2 (when they get to it in a few decades) to keep both conferences even. Both potential markets of Seattle and Montreal will satisfy everything the NBA is looking for, provided they have the arena situation figured out by then.

The NFL is not likely to expand anytime soon and has no plans to look into it in the interim future, however with the uncertainty surrounding the Oakland Raiders and their situation, it is possible that there is more relocation to come in the future. The Chargers are widely believed to decamp San Diego for the Los Angeles area, as they are expected to take Kroenke up on his offer to share the Inglewood site with a second team in the NFL.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,839,174 times
St. Louis could use an extra one now.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,151,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
St. Louis deserves an NFL team....
After getting shafted twice, we don't want one.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:12 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,332,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
After getting shafted twice, we don't want one.
Yup. I doubt the NFL will ever come back to St. Louis now.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:46 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,740,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yup. I doubt the NFL will ever come back to St. Louis now.
Well, "ever" is a strong word, but I do agree it will take decades. Just like what LA went through, and what Seattle went through losing the Sonics...not blaming the cities, but the owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.