U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 09:39 PM

1,000 posts, read 956,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
After getting shafted twice, we don't want one.
Speak for yourself; I love football, and am going to miss the Rams dearly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:04 PM

3,107 posts, read 1,859,468 times
San Diego and Seattle!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2016, 11:08 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
Speak for yourself; I love football, and am going to miss the Rams dearly.
So do I, but there's a point where you just gotta break it off. I'll still watch the NFL, but I'm not paying tax dollars to cater to them. None of us should. If they want to come back, it needs to be on our terms and their dollar.

Oh, and Birmingham AL could use a pro football franchise. Maybe the Jaguars (in the far future)?

Old 01-17-2016, 11:56 PM

6,395 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
So do I, but there's a point where you just gotta break it off. I'll still watch the NFL, but I'm not paying tax dollars to cater to them. None of us should. If they want to come back, it needs to be on our terms and their dollar.
I agree. Something needs to change in the future...owners are just holding teams for ransom it is ridiculous. And as cities, we're willing to play their game it's a shame. What's also unfortunate is you all missing out on Shad Khan buying your franchise. Had he been able to, I have no doubt you all would be set in St Louis with some nice development to boot. Khan has been a godsend for Jax.

Quote:
Oh, and Birmingham AL could use a pro football franchise. Maybe the Jaguars (in the far future)?
Absolutely no way. The only city I'm afraid of is London, but the Jags are safe in Jax for the next decade or so.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:23 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,544,929 times
Portland may be able to support another major sports franchise. The metro is still gaining residents and over the last twelve months wages are up around 7.5 percent.

Old 01-18-2016, 01:10 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,257,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Absolutely no way. The only city I'm afraid of is London, but the Jags are safe in Jax for the next decade or so.
Interestingly enough, the Chicago Tribune decided to reignite Chicago's old pipe dream of having a second NFL team. It would still be a stretch, and years down the road, but it does seem a bit more possible after the moving of the Rams.
2nd NFL team in Chicago? After Rams move, what's Shahid Khan thinking? - Chicago Tribune

Old 01-18-2016, 03:38 PM

1,000 posts, read 956,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I agree. Something needs to change in the future...owners are just holding teams for ransom it is ridiculous. And as cities, we're willing to play their game it's a shame. What's also unfortunate is you all missing out on Shad Khan buying your franchise. Had he been able to, I have no doubt you all would be set in St Louis with some nice development to boot. Khan has been a godsend for Jax.

I believe he will relocate the Jaguars to St. Louis in the near future. The AFC South wouldn't have to be redrawn either; it makes for an STL team to play Indianapolis, Nashville, and Houston.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanRam View Post
I believe he will relocate the Jaguars to St. Louis in the near future. The AFC South wouldn't have to be redrawn either; it makes for an STL team to play Indianapolis, Nashville, and Houston.
I feel very bad about your team leaving and I'm sorry that I have to burst your bubble. There's absolutely no way Khan will relocate the team to STL in the near future and really can't imagine it happening ever. Knowledgeable fans get tired of having to repeat the situation over and over again, but I'll just provide a few bullet points:

-The stadium lease with the team is through 2030 and sets a substantial penalty if the Jaguars cut it short...a little over $100M in total rent and fees right now (it lessens as we get closer to 2030)

-Khan has already spent over $75M of his own money into stadium and office upgrades at Everbank Field. He's also invested several million into local tech/startup businesses and several million more into historic decaying buildings that the city hopes to save and restore. This offseason, he is putting in another $45M (which is being matched by the city) for a city-owned indoor practice facility/stadium and a state-of-the-art outdoor amphitheater, two things which Jax has desperately needed for a long time. So by the start of the 2016 season Khan will have put over $125M into city assets that honestly would give him next to no benefit if he were to leave the city tomorrow. I mean, the stadium upgrades, the exposure from high profile real estate projects, etc maybe brings him $2M per year in extra revenue (being very generous). So we're far from seeing him recoup his capital investments if he ever had an inkling to leave town.

-He has been the single greatest cheerleader and catalyst for business growth in Jax the last several years. He has spearheaded campaigns in the US and throughout Europe to recruit more international business to the area. He also spent much time and money on his ballyhooed Shipyards proposal...a multi-billion dollar potential waterfront development in Jax. Now, in all of these instances he has his businessman hat on and he stands to gain significantly in these endeavors. But at the same time, they realistically will not be possible if he moves the team so that would be a lot of wasted effort on his part should that come to pass.

As I said before, Khan has been a godsend for Jacksonville. Things can always change over the next decade, and of course Jacksonville has to prove that we deserve him, but so far the signs are great that Khan is fully committed to this city. Unlike Kroenke and other folks that have acted in bad faith, Khan has come out and embraced our city and put lots and lots of money into it.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:51 PM

5,778 posts, read 3,846,175 times
Except 100 million is pocket change for most of these owners. If he could get a new stadium in St. Louis he would likely bolt in a NY minute. The league is full of owners who spend money, but then put it all on the line for a better location. I agree, he has committed to JAX, but like you said in your own words, "Jacksonville has to prove that we deserve him". So true.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Except 100 million is pocket change for most of these owners.
$125 million would be more than 2.5% of his net worth. Doubt he would consider that pocket change. Jaguars fans would have been perfectly happy if he hadn't done anything...he really gains nothing by spending that money other than the potential to make it all back and more if the team is here for a couple more decades. What would be the point of spending that money and then leaving?

Quote:
If he could get a new stadium in St. Louis he would likely bolt in a NY minute. The league is full of owners who spend money, but then put it all on the line for a better location.
That makes no sense. It's like Kroenke accepting the St Louis stadium proposal, putting up $250 Million, and then saying now he's gonna break the lease, pay more in penalties as well, and go spend a billion dollars in LA. Obviously he did the logical thing in such a scenario...he decided to go to LA without spending over a quarter billion dollars for no reason first.

What's more, JAX on paper is a more attractive NFL market than STL.
We can afford to have an NFL franchise while STL couldn't:
http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna.../market23.html
http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna.../market44.html

For the past 6 years, which have been about the worst 6 years a team could possibly have on the field, we've blown STL out in attendance numbers. It's not even close...
2015 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

It's unfortunate that there is a lot of misinformation out there about the state of the Jaguars franchise. For the most part, the national media pays no attention and misrepresents facts. There are just a few national guys who have checked the details and they are the few that always conclude that the Jaguars aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Last year it was a story on NFL.com and ESPN that the business side of the Jaguars was doing so well now that many of the league's other teams were interviewing Khan and his execs to learn how to run their franchises better.

Again, I would worry about London if that becomes a possibility in a decade. Besides that, Khan is clearly happy in Jax til we get close to the end of the lease.

Quote:
I agree, he has committed to JAX, but like you said in your own words, "Jacksonville has to prove that we deserve him". So true.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or