U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 01:22 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,148,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In my observation, an expansion team usually does better in the long term when it comes to sustaining fan interest, then inheriting one from another city. In the case of St. Louis, it inherited 2 separate teams. I think if you examine the most successful sports franchises, generally (though not always) the team originated from the city and has a sustained culture of excellence.

Then again, the Rams were successful for 3 years in St. Louis, had two additional post seasons after that, then went into the tank the last 10 years. I said this in the St. Louis forum: you need to show up, regardless of how lousy your team is. I say this as a New York Giants fan that suffered many losing seasons in a row in the 1970s. In spite of their failures, there was still a waiting list for season tickets to see the Giants even during many consecutive seasons of failure.
It's easy for NYC, CHI, LA to say this. NYC metro is like 9 times larger than StL. In mid markets a decline in the on field product will hurt ticket sales more cause, well, there's less people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,882,782 times
NBA: Seattle, Las Vegas
MLB: Charlotte, Portland

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM

9,489 posts, read 9,675,419 times
Cincy may get its shot at the MLS, its new USL (Minor league Soccer team) pulled in 21,000 Saturday against Louisville.
That Outdrew MLS games in Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake City, and Chicago (by 7,000)*.
A market with only 2 of fewer other teams is good for the MLS (Seattle, Portland, KC).
*Also outdrew Denver but there was a blizzard so it doesn't really count

Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM

118 posts, read 83,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Cincy may get its shot at the MLS, its new USL (Minor league Soccer team) pulled in 21,000 Saturday against Louisville.
That Outdrew MLS games in Dallas, Columbus, Salt Lake City, and Chicago (by 7,000)*.
A market with only 2 of fewer other teams is good for the MLS (Seattle, Portland, KC).
*Also outdrew Denver but there was a blizzard so it doesn't really count

I was at the game rooting for my new team! It was brilliant! They're pushing hard to be included in either the next or the second round of upcoming MLS expansions.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:31 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,262,553 times
The MLS commissioner has stated that St. Louis and Sacramento are currently the frontrunners to get expansion teams.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/socce...148aaf66e.html

Old 04-22-2016, 12:57 PM

935 posts, read 1,728,285 times
The next three MLS expansion slots will be Sacramento, St. Louis, Detroit, IMO. The fourth is a toss up between San Antonio, Cincinnati.

Last edited by pistola916; 04-22-2016 at 01:05 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 02:07 PM

9,489 posts, read 9,675,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
The next three MLS expansion slots will be Sacramento, St. Louis, Detroit, IMO. The fourth is a toss up between San Antonio, Cincinnati.
I think St Louis is a bad idea, the Cards own the summer there. Even in Boston, with a strong baseball culture the Revolution have trouble breaking into the media cycle, and that's a bigger market than St. Louis
Sacramento and San Antonio are good b/c they have no baseball team, thus the MLS will own the summer, and Detroit is big enough that the MLS can carve out a niche even if the Tigers Dominate.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:41 PM

8,492 posts, read 10,559,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
The MLS commissioner has stated that St. Louis and Sacramento are currently the frontrunners to get expansion teams.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/socce...148aaf66e.html
If St. Louis gets an MLS team, it will greatly decrease their chances of acquiring an NFL team again. The St. Louis sports market can't handle 4 major league teams. It also doesn't help that St. Louis is a shrinking city that has lost more than 50% of its population since 1950. The facts can't be ignored.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:26 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,262,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
If St. Louis gets an MLS team, it will greatly decrease their chances of acquiring an NFL team again. The St. Louis sports market can't handle 4 major league teams. It also doesn't help that St. Louis is a shrinking city that has lost more than 50% of its population since 1950. The facts can't be ignored.
The city got so burned by the NFL the last go around that I don't think they frankly care.

I would point out though the majority of ticket holders for any sports team in St. Louis are probably not living in the city of St. Louis proper, however. The metro area is still right under 2.8-2.9 million people (MSA vs CSA), even with its slow growth.

Old 04-25-2016, 09:45 AM

8,154 posts, read 16,230,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think St Louis is a bad idea, the Cards own the summer there. Even in Boston, with a strong baseball culture the Revolution have trouble breaking into the media cycle, and that's a bigger market than St. Louis
Definitely. Though I've noticed a growing number of Revs fans. I think a soccer-only stadium in the city that's transit accessible would help the team explode in popularity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or