U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2016, 07:42 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,053,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I made a long post. I have no idea where it went. When Cleveland had 3 teams, it was one of the larger metros in the nation. Im 1950, Cleveland was the 10th largest metro in the US. It's not that Cleveland got smaller. It's that many other metros in the South and West zoomed past Cleveland. You can make an argument that Cleveland of today has too many teams. Pittsburgh is probably another city that probably has to many teams but their teams like Cleveland is historic. Remember, the Penguins were one foot out the door a few years back before they got Syd. Pittsburgh at the time in 1950 was the 8th largest metro. Baltimore has a similar story. It was the 12th largest market in 1950. Neither are obviously where they use to be.

Market size really matters more than the actual MSA population in these conversations. Cleveland is the 18th largest TV market in the nation. Denver is the 17th largest. Baltimore is the 26th largest market. If you look at the other markets in Baltimore's level as far as TV market is concerned, they have the same number of teams. 24 is Portland (Blazers and I guess Timbers), 25 is Raleigh (Hurricane), 27 is is Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers), 28 is San Diego (Padres and Chargers for now), 29 is Nashville (Predators and Titans). The only other market from 20-25 that has three teams is Pittsburgh and they aren't stuck between Philadelphia and Washington like Baltimore is. If Baltimore was a metro of 4 million which would probably place the market in near the top 20 or maybe inside of it and the corporate base increases, I can see an NBA team there. But for now, it would probably be over saturation.
A resident and fan of Baltimore, I have to reluctantly concede that Spade is right. In fact, I can easily envision MLB and/or the NFL working to pull a team from Baltimore for placement in an up-and-coming metro. The media market in Baltimore simply can't grow because of its geography. San Antonio, Austin, Las Vegas, even Virginia Beach are destined to have bigger media markets than Baltimore (if they don't already.) Baltimore needs to work extra hard to keep its teams fat and happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 PM

6,395 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Yeah, a few years down the line (3-5) the MLB will sit down and evaluate their options with regards to expanding the league to 32 teams.
Lol I see the meaning but the wording was contradictory. It's "gonna happen in the next couple of years" (technically meaning two years) followed by "it won't happen in the next 3-5 years." Just funny to me...

Old 05-06-2016, 01:56 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,416,167 times
Also, Mark Davis is serious about wanting to move the NFL team, the Oakland Raiders, to Las Vegas:

Las Vegas Raiders? Owner Mark Davis serious about move to Sin City - Oakland Raiders Blog- ESPN

The NHL's expansion process is still on-going and they are still evaluating that. Las Vegas and Quebec City are believed to get a team if the NHL ultimately decides to expand the league by 2 teams after all.

Also, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver has put off all speculation that the NBA will expand in the near term, saying that the NBA must first deal with the new CBA agreements first and then will sit down to evaluate expansion. Silver was responding to pressure by investment groups in Seattle to expand as soon as possible because the investment group needs to secure a lease for the land they envision the new arena (which they claim is shovel ready) but Silver says that around 2018 the league will look into expanding by 2 teams. Expect Seattle to be one of them, the other expansion could be one of either Vancouver or Montreal.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:03 PM

571 posts, read 850,530 times
Nashville or New Orleans should be at the top of the list for a MLB team.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 PM

18,700 posts, read 27,257,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
Nashville or New Orleans should be at the top of the list for a MLB team.
No they shouldn't. New Orleans is the 51st largest market. They have too many teams as it is. Nashville is ranked 29th and they have as many as a market that size should. MLB is very hard for small market to support. I think MLB may try with Montreal again honestly. Portland is another market that could work. It's too large to only have one of the top 4 leagues. Football won't happen I don't think.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 27,257,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
A resident and fan of Baltimore, I have to reluctantly concede that Spade is right. In fact, I can easily envision MLB and/or the NFL working to pull a team from Baltimore for placement in an up-and-coming metro. The media market in Baltimore simply can't grow because of its geography. San Antonio, Austin, Las Vegas, even Virginia Beach are destined to have bigger media markets than Baltimore (if they don't already.) Baltimore needs to work extra hard to keep its teams fat and happy!
Orioles will never leave Baltimore though. It would be like Cardinals leaving St. Louis. The Orioles are such a big part of the community not only in Baltimore but the entire state of Maryland including the DC area as the DC area still has a large number of Orioles fans. The Ravens success since they been in Baltimore may keep them there. I think Baltimore will grow enough to keep the Ravens there.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:11 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,015,860 times
NFL...San Antonio or Austin. (Both are Top 40 markets. My preference would be Austin because it has a stronger economic base, but in football crazed Texas I think either one would do just fine).

NBA...KC and or Cincinnati (They're top 40 markets that I think could support a team because they lack a professional winter sports franchise. I think a franchise could flourish in either city).

NHL...KC (if no NBA), Seattle or PDX (Pacific NW needs an American team), Houston (10th largest media market in America and no presence), Atlanta (11th largest media market in America and no presence...yeah I know they had a team and it didn't work out, but I'd prefer they try ATL again before Quebec City).

MLB...Sacramento, Charlotte, PDX, Indy, and or Nashville (These are all top 30 markets that lack a team).

Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 PM

311 posts, read 221,862 times
Move the Oakland Athletics back to Philly.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 AM

4,445 posts, read 3,596,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
NFL...San Antonio or Austin. (Both are Top 40 markets. My preference would be Austin because it has a stronger economic base, but in football crazed Texas I think either one would do just fine).

NBA...KC and or Cincinnati (They're top 40 markets that I think could support a team because they lack a professional winter sports franchise. I think a franchise could flourish in either city).

NHL...KC (if no NBA), Seattle or PDX (Pacific NW needs an American team), Houston (10th largest media market in America and no presence), Atlanta (11th largest media market in America and no presence...yeah I know they had a team and it didn't work out, but I'd prefer they try ATL again before Quebec City).

MLB...Sacramento, Charlotte, PDX, Indy, and or Nashville (These are all top 30 markets that lack a team).
NFL doesn't count as winter?

Austin will NEVER get a NFL franchise, just like how Columbus OH will never get one. Two of the biggest college football programs reside there.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:08 AM

8,894 posts, read 7,841,398 times
I think you guys don't appreciate how hard it is to just start a successful team in a new city. Leagues are already so well established and entrenched. People have generations of loyalty to a team. It's really not as simple as just having a team show up and everyone immediately falls in love. Nashville for example, they already have Braves fans and Reds fans. I'm skeptical a new team would catch on. Besides, we don't need to dilute talent in the leagues anymore. Nobody really wants to play for a new team anyway. The best cases can be made for teams that used to have pro sports for a long time, but over the years have lost them. But places like Austin, I'm just not seeing it. Columbus got an NHL team in 2000. They're near the bottom in attendance and TV viewership every single year, despite the fact that the city is rapidly growing. The people just don't care. They already had been fans of the Penguins and Red Wings (pretty much the only games that sell out in Columbus are when Detroit and Pittsburgh are in town, and they outnumber Jackets "fans" like 2-1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or