Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 08:43 PM

185 posts, read 172,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukcha View Post
Hey, that's not nice, actually it's the least fat city in Texas.

My apologies on the typo ! I'm well aware it's one of Americas most fit and excericse happy cities , one of many reasons I wish I could live there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,887,003 times
The Board of Governors in the National Hockey League (NHL) will vote on the Quebec City and Las Vegas expansion bids on June 22nd of this summer. According to league insiders that have been reporting the "general sentiment" around the league, the expectation is that Las Vegas will be approved for its NHL expansion team. Marking the first professional sports team to enter the Las Vegas market in the history of professional team sports in America:
Quote:
When Bettman explained the three scenarios the league was contemplating — expand by one or two teams, wait a year or put expansion on hold indefinitely — he covered both ends of the rink as far as Las Vegas and Quebec City are concerned.

The league’s nine-member executive committee meets this week, likely on Tuesday, though NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly refused to confirm the date. The group is expected to recommend Las Vegas to join the league for the 2017-18 season while deferring Quebec City until 2018-19.

When the NHL’s Board of Governors meets June 22 in Las Vegas, it is expected to rubber stamp the recommendation, culminating in a historic day, as the city will get its first major league sports franchise after decades of campaigning.

Dream of NHL coming to Las Vegas is nearing reality | Las Vegas Review-Journal
As if things weren't already looking up for Las Vegas as it is, things are getting even more interesting. Bettman, the commissioner of the NHL stated that the NFL possibly moving to Las Vegas will have ZERO affect on whether the NHL expands the league into Las Vegas. That it is going to happen anyways.

Speaking of which, Mark Davis, the owner of the NFLs Oakland Raiders is dead serious and committed to moving his team to Las Vegas. The ONLY thing that now stands in the way of Las Vegas getting the Raiders is the source of funding for the stadium proposal that will house the Raiders. Something that Las Vegas elected officials and leaders sound very optimistic about passing as envisioned. Las Vegas has proposed paying $750 million by hotel taxes, as in tourists that visit Las Vegas will be the primary drivers to funding the city's football stadium and multi-use arena. The expectation is that the Nevada state legislator will approve the hotel tax for the stadiums funding and construction the next time they are in session, or perhaps they will do a special session to approve it early. That will pave the way for the Raiders to Las Vegas, which is looking inevitable now.

Mark Davis says he remains focused on moving Raiders to Las Vegas | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Las Vegas in 2016 will go from zero to two in the professional sports leagues' circles. Also keep in mind, Las Vegas is also a contender and finalist to get an expansion MLS team as well. The city has come far in just a year.

Also, speaking of Quebec City, it appears highly likely that the Quebec City expansion bid to the NHL will be rejected at this time. Primarily because of the devaluation of the Canadian currency and the economics in the time period right now not being suitable for expansion in Canada. Quebec City, however, will remain at the forefront of NHL expansions within the next two years when market conditions improve along with the value of the Canadian dollar, according to league sources with knowledge of the league's thinking process.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 06-05-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-06-2016, 07:43 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,423,315 times
red john.

I have to correct you......The Canadian Football league had a team in Las Vegas, called The Posse.

Read this link. The CFL in America

Third paragraph.

Jim B.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,582,672 times
Bridgeport CT MLS, Providence RI NHL, Bangor Me NHL, and Las Vegas everything...MLS, MLB, NHL, and NASCAR. Maybe NBA in Vegas.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:42 AM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Las Vegas is the 42nd largest market. NBA, MLB, and NHL would be an over saturation. I don't think the NBA would ever work there. The Lakers probably own that market. I don't think MLB would work there either.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:47 AM

12,595 posts, read 21,740,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Bridgeport CT MLS, Providence RI NHL, Bangor Me NHL, and Las Vegas everything...MLS, MLB, NHL, and NASCAR. Maybe NBA in Vegas.
What? Are you being sarcastic?

NASCAR would actually be great in Vegas. I think the NBA would work there too (NFL and NHL are apparently on the cusp of happening). Not sure about MLB there. I think the league has some work to do before considering expansion/relocating teams.

But the rest? MLS in Bridgeport? NHL in Providence ?(!) NHL in Bangor ?(?!?!?!?!). No way.

I feel like if you were going to stick an MLS franchise in CT, it would have to be in Stamford (more affluent, closer in to New York), or Hartford (draw on Hartford/Springfield population). But either way, I don't see it as a possibility. Bridgeport can't support a team like that. It has a hard enough time with minor league franchises.

The NHL in Providence would never work. For starters, the city is physically, culturally and economically tied way too much into Boston. The minor league franchise is a committed affiliate of the Boston Bruins- something that's not likely to change. Hartford is more likely to get the Whalers back (and that's not happening any time soon) than Providence is to get an NHL team.

Last but not least. Bangor?! Seriously? Bangor- the city of 33,000 and metro of 150,000? How on earth do you expect them to fill an NHL stadium on a regular basis? The entire state of Maine has 1.3 Million people (fewer than Metro Providence which is too small for an NHL franchise) spread out over 35,000 square miles. There's just no way to come even close to being able to support an NHL franchise in Bangor (or Portland- which just lost its AHL team, or anywhere in Maine). There's not even close to enough people in the region.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:19 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,582,672 times
Portland Maine or Manchester NH, but upper New England is due for a NHL team.

Like to see Providence break away from Boston, but so many minor league teams in Providence tied to Boston.

With Bridgeport you have a great arena and stadium that might be empty soon. MLS be prime.

Now Vegas has Nascar and soon to be NHL. If I read right on here soon to be MLS. Baseball market might be a tough sell. NFL could be doable. Yeah I could see a new NBA/WNBA team in Vegas.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM

26,826 posts, read 43,300,897 times
I think the only major sports leagues poised to expand with new franchises are the NBA and MLB. The NFL has reached saturation point and is actually in decline a bit and the NHL while seemingly healthy again, probably needs a few more years to solidify it's fan base further. Both the NBA and MLB currently have 30 teams so any expansion will probably include adding two. In the NBA you have to like the fact that Seattle will regain the loss of the Supersonics and perhaps add Nashville which has well-supported both the Titans and Predators (plus being a city on the rise). For MLB I don't think anyone can argue the appeal of Charlotte given the huge swath of population between DC and Atlanta without a team to get behind (and a great new city for the NL East), or Portland which makes the AL West suddenly a lot more riveting with a built-in rivalry with the Mariners from the get-go.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:53 PM

12,595 posts, read 21,740,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Portland Maine or Manchester NH, but upper New England is due for a NHL team.
No, it's not. "Upper" New England doesn't have the population or population density to support the NHL. There are 3.3 Million people in all of Northern New England combined spread out over 54,352 square miles. It's a relatively small population that's spread out over a huge, disconnected area (going East/West in Northern New England is not easy or direct). For perspective, to drive from Madawaska in Northeast, Maine to Bennington in Southwestern Vermont would take 9 hours and 20 minutes and cover about 546 miles. One of the quickest routes on Google Maps is via Quebec City. Also for perspective, Metropolitan Tampa-St. Petersburg has around to 4 million people in under 2,000 square miles. You need the density to go along with the population.

Even if you took the two largest population centers (Manchester and Portland), you don't have enough people. Combined the two cities have about 900,000 in their respective metro areas and are nearly 100 miles apart by road. Manchester is closer to Boston than Portland (about the same distance as Worcester, MA) is and is very connected to Metro Boston. There's just absolutely no place for an NHL franchise in Northern New England.

Quote:
Like to see Providence break away from Boston, but so many minor league teams in Providence tied to Boston.
Not going to happen. It makes too much sense to have the teams in Providence connected to Boston's pro teams. Providence is going to become more connected to Boston in every way before it "breaks away."

Old 06-06-2016, 12:55 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,589,370 times
Will pro sports actually thrive in Vegas? And what makes people think they will? Especially NHL. A recent FiveThirtyEight article discusses how little support there is for NHL in Vegas, and how at least from a tickets sold and ratings standpoint, Hamilton and Quebec City (heck, even Halifax) would be more successful, and that there would be more precedent for an NBA team, given UNLV's success. I have to agree. Things haven't changed that radically there in the last year, and there's a high service sector/blue collar population that won't be able to afford to regularly go, so it will largely depend on tourists which that isn't the main reason they are there. In the past Minor League sports haven't even been super successful in Vegas, so I can't see Major League doing all that great, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.