U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,441,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Will pro sports actually thrive in Vegas? And what makes people think they will? Especially NHL.
Bill Foley, the investor behind the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and paying the expansion fees to bring NHL to Las Vegas has already sold out season tickets for NHL in Las Vegas for the teams first season in the city.

He has over 9,000 season ticket deposits (by February 2015): NHL season-ticket deposit drive reaches 9,000 | Las Vegas Review-Journal

He has sold over 13,500 season tickets and 100% of all the luxury suites have been sold out as of 2016: https://twitter.com/HalfordPHT/statu...05458409000962

Bettman and the NHL have taken notice, they want in on the market and that is why on June 22, 2016 the city of Las Vegas will get the "yes" for its first major league sport in one of the Big 5 leagues (NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, MLB).

Also, there's a general belief that the Raiders will thrive in Las Vegas as well.

However that being said, I would keep the MLB out of Las Vegas until its metropolitan area surpasses 4 million people or media market cracks the Top 25. The NBA would work in any PCSA over 1 million, it is a very mobile sport and its fanfare is different than the other leagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2016, 12:25 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,396,874 times
Nothing says hockey like Las Vegas! What an odd location for a new NHL team, but I get why LV deserves A team, just not necessarily hockey (in fact, I'd have that last or 2nd to last among the big 4, possibly ahead of MLB). With such a high % of the population not native to the region (highest in the country I believe, for a metro) and the complete lack of hockey culture in LV, I truly worry about the future of the NHL there. Yes, in the short term there will be lots of hype and excitement for the first major league team in the city, so I get why it's selling out so fast, but I doubt it'll sustain itself if the team doesn't win, win, win. But it's not my business what the City, owners or NHL decides to invest in, and hopefully it'll be a great fit.

I've heard this argument before but I'll bring it up again: why not more small-market Canadian teams, or even Duluth, MN; Green Bay/Madison, WI; the UP of Michigan; Vermont, etc, etc, instead -- regions that fully embrace hockey and LIVE the hockey culture?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I've heard this argument before but I'll bring it up again: why not more small-market Canadian teams, or even Duluth, MN, the UP of Michigan, Vermont, etc, etc, instead -- regions that fully embrace hockey and LIVE the hockey culture?
Because the economics don't support an NHL expansion team in Canada right now.

Canada is softening, its currency is devaluing relative to the American dollar and several markets are economically in a lull period, at the current moment. So the expansion fees and the costs to bring NHL to a Canadian market, for any Canadian investor(s), are not suitable currently in this economic climate. The NHL WILL expand to Quebec City within 2-3 years when the economic climate improves and the Canadian dollar recuperates some of its lost value.

The NHLs intentions were to expand the league from 30 to 32 in this cycle, unfortunately the Canadian dollar has devalued excessively in the past 1 year and it has become too expensive to expand to Canada at the moment. The NHL definitely plans to carry through with expansion in Canada as soon as the economic climate returns to normal, which could be within 2-3 years maximum.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:52 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,396,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post

Canada is softening, its currency is devaluing relative to the American dollar and several markets are economically in a lull period, at the current moment. So the expansion fees and the costs to bring NHL to a Canadian market, for any Canadian investor(s), are not suitable currently in this economic climate. The NHL WILL expand to Quebec City within 2-3 years when the economic climate improves and the Canadian dollar recuperates some of its lost value.

The NHLs intentions were to expand the league from 30 to 32 in this cycle, unfortunately the Canadian dollar has devalued excessively in the past 1 year and it has become too expensive to expand to Canada at the moment. The NHL definitely plans to carry through with expansion in Canada as soon as the economic climate returns to normal, which could be within 2-3 years maximum.
Tried to rep you but it "maxed out"....thanks for that info!

Old 06-06-2016, 12:57 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,644 times
Quote:

Don't besmirch the Northern Utopia! Everything is fine.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:44 PM

9,497 posts, read 9,690,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Nothing says hockey like Las Vegas! What an odd location for a new NHL team, but I get why LV deserves A team, just not necessarily hockey (in fact, I'd have that last or 2nd to last among the big 4, possibly ahead of MLB). With such a high % of the population not native to the region (highest in the country I believe, for a metro) and the complete lack of hockey culture in LV, I truly worry about the future of the NHL there. Yes, in the short term there will be lots of hype and excitement for the first major league team in the city, so I get why it's selling out so fast, but I doubt it'll sustain itself if the team doesn't win, win, win. But it's not my business what the City, owners or NHL decides to invest in, and hopefully it'll be a great fit.

I've heard this argument before but I'll bring it up again: why not more small-market Canadian teams, or even Duluth, MN; Green Bay/Madison, WI; the UP of Michigan; Vermont, etc, etc, instead -- regions that fully embrace hockey and LIVE the hockey culture?
There are cities I the North/Canada like Hamilton or Providence that are too close to other cities with NHL teams that they need permission from the team with territorial rights (in this case Bruins or Maple Leafs) to expand.
You may not need 2,500,000 people but where in UP or Northern New England could you possibly put an NHL team? Burlington, VT, a town of 40,000, or Marquette, MI, a town the size of the United Center?
About as small as they could go is Grand Rapids or Hartford. Even Grand Rapids I am unsure would have the corporate base for an NHL team. With Hartford you would have the Rangers, Bruins, Islanders, and Devils complaining about the new team encroaching upon their market.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:34 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,021,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
There are cities I the North/Canada like Hamilton or Providence that are too close to other cities with NHL teams that they need permission from the team with territorial rights (in this case Bruins or Maple Leafs) to expand.
You may not need 2,500,000 people but where in UP or Northern New England could you possibly put an NHL team? Burlington, VT, a town of 40,000, or Marquette, MI, a town the size of the United Center?
About as small as they could go is Grand Rapids or Hartford. Even Grand Rapids I am unsure would have the corporate base for an NHL team. With Hartford you would have the Rangers, Bruins, Islanders, and Devils complaining about the new team encroaching upon their market.
Smaller Canadian cities like Winnipeg or Quebec City can get a pass even though they'd be considered too small for an US city to host a team--yes, Hamilton would probably be the last Canadian city they would consider(and has been considered) though Toronto would complain--though Southern Ontario could support another team since Toronto's hockey market is so strong(and with the Maple Leafs being a steaming pile for most of the last twenty years yet selling out, it's a good case that you could get fans).

For northern cities in the US, maybe Milwaukee would possibly be a candidate. I'd love to see the Hartford Whalers come back, but I doubt they'll ever have a team again. I don't know where else they'd consider, Albany doesn't seem like a pro sports town and I don't know if Grand Rapids would be too small.

They still want a team in Seattle, but Seattle as usual takes their time in building anything.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:45 PM

9,497 posts, read 9,690,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post
Smaller Canadian cities like Winnipeg or Quebec City can get a pass even though they'd be considered too small for an US city to host a team--yes, Hamilton would probably be the last Canadian city they would consider(and has been considered) though Toronto would complain--though Southern Ontario could support another team since Toronto's hockey market is so strong(and with the Maple Leafs being a steaming pile for most of the last twenty years yet selling out, it's a good case that you could get fans).

For northern cities in the US, maybe Milwaukee would possibly be a candidate. I'd love to see the Hartford Whalers come back, but I doubt they'll ever have a team again. I don't know where else they'd consider, Albany doesn't seem like a pro sports town and I don't know if Grand Rapids would be too small.

They still want a team in Seattle, but Seattle as usual takes their time in building anything.
The truth is you need the owners to approve it. The Bruins, Devils, Islanders, and Rangers would probably opposed the return of the Whalers. The Bruins already had issues with the Whalers branding "New England Whalers" prior to them entering the NHL.
Similar with a Southern Ontario team, Southern Ontario is full of Sabres, Leafs and Red Wings fans. Those franchises want to keep their markets intact.
That's why Las Vegas, Seattle and Kansas City were more in demand by the NHL than Hartford, Hamilton (also the only probably owner is hated by the NHL), Milwaukee etc.
The NHL sees converted fans from one team to another in traditional areas, not new fans. New Fans are more money than converted fans.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:22 AM

The NHL made it official yesterday that they are expanding. They awarded the expansion franchise to Las Vegas.
Quote:
NHL approves expansion to Las Vegas with team to play in 2017-18

LAS VEGAS -- The NHL is now officially the first major professional sports league to gamble on Las Vegas.

On Wednesday, the NHL's board of governors unanimously approved expanding to this city, making the franchise the 31st team in the league.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman doesn't appear ready to fully embrace legal gambling even as the league announced it would place a franchise in Las Vegas.

Meet the most interesting man in hockey

The owner of the NHL's newest team, reclusive mortgage financier turned winery tycoon Bill Foley, is gambling $500 million that Las Vegas is a smart bet to become a hockey hotbed.

How the NHL can make it work in Las Vegas
Building a team will only be part of the equation for the league's newest franchise. Players and staff must create a connection with the community.

The team will start play during the 2017-18 season and will be included in the Pacific Division. The league said its current playoff format will not change.

In the expansion draft, which will take place next year, the Las Vegas franchise must select one player from each team for a total of 30 players, with at least 20 being under contract for the 2017-18 season. The franchise also must select at least 14 forwards, nine defensemen and three goaltenders.

Each existing team will have two options for protected lists, which they must submit by 5 p.m. ET on June 17, 2017: They can make seven forwards, three defensemen and one goaltender unavailable in the draft or do the same for eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goaltender. Players in their first and second years and unsigned draft choices will be exempt from selection.

Players with "no movement" clauses in their contracts who decline to waive those rights must be included in a club's protected list.

Players with potentially career-ending injuries or who missed more than 60 consecutive games for their clubs cannot be used by teams to satisfy the quota of exposed players.

Teams must expose at least one defenseman and two forwards who are under contract in 2017-18 and who played in 40 or more games in the NHL the prior season or 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Teams must also expose one goaltender who is under contract in 2017-18 or will be a restricted free agent when his contract expires before the 2017-18 season. If a club chooses the latter option, the goaltender must have received a qualifying offer from the club before it submits its protected list.

The deadline for the Las Vegas franchise to submit its selections is 5 p.m. ET on June 20, 2017. The team's selections will be announced on June 21, 2017.

In the 2017 NHL draft lottery, the Las Vegas team will have the same odds as the team finishing with the third-lowest point total in 2016-17 and will be guaranteed to pick no lower than sixth in the first round. It will pick third in each round for the remainder of the draft.

NHL officially approves Las Vegas as 31st franchise
With the NHL entering the market, now Las Vegas is a professional sports market officially. It doesn't end there, as mentioned before, the NFL's Raiders are progressing towards a move to Las Vegas as well and if all goes well, meaning the Nevada state legislature approves the stadium vision and funding, then the Raiders will also be Las Vegas bound.

That's not all. Rob Manfred, the commissioner of the MLB has also put Las Vegas well on the league's radar for the future:

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred says Las Vegas is 'viable alternative'

So Las Vegas, which just got the approval for an NHL expansion team, is also on the immediate radar for the NFL (Raiders) and should get that team when all is said and done, and has also put itself on the expansion radar for both the MLS and the MLB as well.

Just before yesterday, it is unbelievable that Las Vegas was at zero.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:35 AM

6,252 posts, read 6,716,437 times
Quote:

That's not all. Rob Manfred, the commissioner of the MLB has also put Las Vegas well on the league's radar for the future:
neat card trick.....turning A's into Aces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or