U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 12:33 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,551,828 times

Advertisements

The main problem with Detroit getting an MLS team will be getting the hipster fans of Detroit City FC on board. They've taken umbrage with the notion that they're not going to be the big dog in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 01:53 PM

18,706 posts, read 27,324,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollaztx View Post
That's insane to go from 0 to 3 teams in such a short time. San Antonio has had 1 major sports team for 40 years for example and it's a much bigger market, especially when you consider nearby Austin. Don't get me wrong, I want to see a Vegas team succeed, but 3 is overdoing it big and sets all the teams up for failure.
Well SA is not that much bigger but it's still smaller. Which proves both our points. San Antonio even by NBA standards is a small market and they struggle to get a 2nd team. No way can Vegas do three teams that quickly. I'd also still would be shocked if the Raiders move to Las Vegas.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:19 PM
JJG

13,261 posts, read 19,342,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well SA is not that much bigger but it's still smaller. Which proves both our points. San Antonio even by NBA standards is a small market and they struggle to get a 2nd team. No way can Vegas do three teams that quickly. I'd also still would be shocked if the Raiders move to Las Vegas.
I was thinking that the A's may have had a chance to go to San Antonio.

But ever since the announcement of the Rangers staying in Arlington, people on the Dallas side of the Metroplex have been talking (not seriously, but still...) about the A's being placed somewhere in the North Dallas suburbs to "even things out".

Old 06-27-2016, 05:34 PM

18,706 posts, read 27,324,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I was thinking that the A's may have had a chance to go to San Antonio.

But ever since the announcement of the Rangers staying in Arlington, people on the Dallas side of the Metroplex have been talking (not seriously, but still...) about the A's being placed somewhere in the North Dallas suburbs to "even things out".
First I heard this. Besides, I don't think the Metroplex is large enough for two MLB teams and I would think Dallas would get an NL team anyway.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 PM
JJG

13,261 posts, read 19,342,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
First I heard this. Besides, I don't think the Metroplex is large enough for two MLB teams and I would think Dallas would get an NL team anyway.
Of course.

But it's going around.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:51 PM

6,674 posts, read 8,454,243 times
Quote:
A Nevada oversight committee has approved a $750 million public funding plan for a Las Vegas Raiders stadium, according to CBS News' Mark Albert.

Clark County Commission chair Steve Sisolak confirmed to CBS News via text message that the Southern Nevada Tourism Infrastructure Committee voted "unanimously" Thursday to approve $750 million in public money to bring the Oakland Raiders to Vegas.

But this doesn't mean the team that currently resides in Oakland is on the move -- at least not yet. The plan, while a major victory for the committee, still needs approval from the Governor and legislature.

The stadium venue's estimated cost is $1.9 billion, and state lawmakers would have to approve the $1.4 billion stadium's public funding package.

Proponents of the plan, which include the Las Vegas Sands, want to increase the hotel tax to raise the $750 million that was approved Thursday, while the Raiders and the Sands would cover $1.25 billion. Of that total, the Raiders would chip in $500 million.

Ongoing expenses would be paid for by "about $35 million per year in taxes generated" on stadium grounds, Sisolak told CBS News, adding: "This is a great day for Las Vegas for UNLV and for the Raiders."

Meanwhile, the legislature has not yet set a date for the vote on the stadium. Proponents also want state lawmakers to meet and greenlight the deal as soon as possible. The next step would be to pitch the deal to NFL owners, 75 percent of whom must approve any team relocation. The owners are expected to next meet in January.
Raiders stadium in Las Vegas is now just one step away from approval - CBSSports.com

Old 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM

18,921 posts, read 7,110,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Seattle jumps out as a city that could use an NHL and NBA team. The Seattle Sonics leaving was a crying shame.

LA could also use an NFL team. It's Amazing to me that Jacksonville has a team but LA doesn't.

I do think the Hampton Roads area could use a team (NBA jumps out the most). I think that's a big enough region to support major league sports. My concern would be that the Military population is transient and that may not bode well for drawing new fans (transient people allegedly already support teams). Richmond could probably support a team too, but I think the Hampton Roads area is a more appealing option due to the size and relatively rapid growth.

I'm not as sold on Las Vegas. For starters, the metro area is pretty small. Second, it would be competing with a lot of entertainment options.

Austin might be able to, but I'm not sure what. It's a big enough city to support a team on paper, but it's also very much a college sports town. I don't know if an NFL or NBA franchise (or even an MLB franchise) could compete with Texas sports.
The city of Seattle trademarked the Supersonics name, which is why you don't have the Oklahoma City Supersonics, so they plan on having another NBA team in the future.

I think Sacramento could use a hockey team, same with Houston, and Atlanta should get another one in the future

Old 09-15-2016, 06:47 PM

345 posts, read 347,239 times
Nashville+MLS is a must.
Austin's not getting any professional sports team, especially not an NFL team.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:19 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,403,012 times
Sorry, I'm not a fan of this idea. Hope it works out, but it's wrong for so many reasons.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:21 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,403,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The city of Seattle trademarked the Supersonics name, which is why you don't have the Oklahoma City Supersonics, so they plan on having another NBA team in the future.

I think Sacramento could use a hockey team, same with Houston, and Atlanta should get another one in the future
Is this sarcasm? Why would any of those cities need a team, let alone two!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or