U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2016, 07:05 AM

345 posts, read 345,965 times

Advertisements

Hockey failed in ATL twice. It's not gonna happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,685,420 times
Morons.

Old 09-16-2016, 12:32 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,549,205 times
Seattle moving to OKC did the NBA no favors. Seattle's metro is three times larger and has a median household income almost 60% higher.

Talk about leaving money on the table.

Portland better get a baseball or football team before there's no room left to house them.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:51 PM

956 posts, read 1,789,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtraveler1 View Post
Hockey failed in ATL twice. It's not gonna happen
I think if the right team was successful, NHL hockey could work in Atlanta. The last 2 only failed, because of attendance being low. And from what I recall(less sure about the Flames pre-Calgary, that was before my time but I was told about the Flames' attendance struggles), the Thrashers only had one season where they played somewhat decently while in Atlanta(forget if they made the playoffs that one season, go figure oddly enough...). I know the Florida(Miami) Panthers struggle with attendance, so maybe for all I know they'd consider a move to Atlanta one day?

Old 09-16-2016, 01:55 PM

18,921 posts, read 7,086,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Is this sarcasm? Why would any of those cities need a team, let alone two!?
No, I was serious, rude much???

I said Atlanta should get another one as a replacement, not addition. Atlanta HAD (past tense) the Thrashers, but they moved to Winnipeg and became the "new" Jets.

Old 09-17-2016, 11:47 AM

21,381 posts, read 30,787,843 times
I have long thought that Charlotte would be a good option for MLB given the vast heavily populated part of the country from Atlanta to DC not having a franchise. There's certainly the population and demographic present to make it work.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:20 PM

3,904 posts, read 1,657,946 times
I really can't see the NFL expanding, but could see the Raiders and/or Chargers move. San Antonio would be a good market if the teams leave CA.

MLB - Charlotte and Portland

NBA - Seattle and Norfolk/Virginia Beach

NHL - Salt Lake City

Old 09-17-2016, 08:42 PM

18,921 posts, read 7,086,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I really can't see the NFL expanding, but could see the Raiders and/or Chargers move. San Antonio would be a good market if the teams leave CA.

MLB - Charlotte and Portland

NHL - Salt Lake City
Chargers decided to stay in San Diego, and it looks like the Raiders are going to move to Las Vegas, it's all but a done deal

Old 09-17-2016, 08:44 PM

862 posts, read 772,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post

Seattle yes but Norfolk/Virginia Beach ?? I don't know !! Sure the idea of a team for that region looks great on paper and yes a new arena is planned to be built near the oceanfront in Virginia Beach that if built would be big enough for the NBA but I have the vibe that local, regional and state politics and the many of the "Debbie Downers" who live in that region would in the end kill the idea. Typical of Virginia. Richmond for years had talked about getting a new arena and it was never built. Likewise with some of the smaller cities in VA such as Harrisonburg and Winchester ( both are in metros of well over 100K though their planned arenas would be on a much smaller scale ). With Winchester the local Shenandoah University had talked about building a 5000-8000 seat arena since the 1980s. Between all the studies, the hiring of consultants, and reports done over the years that the university had spent big bucks on they probably could had used that money to just go ahead and build that thing already and still have money left over. Sounds like Virginia Beach with light rail but that is for another post.

Last edited by tantan1968; 09-17-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-17-2016, 10:10 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,394,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
No, I was serious, rude much???

I said Atlanta should get another one as a replacement, not addition. Atlanta HAD (past tense) the Thrashers, but they moved to Winnipeg and became the "new" Jets.
I forgot the Thrashers left, my bad. The other cities don't need a team anytime soon. Hockey, like all sports, should go where it's supported. If Houston has more supporters than any other prospective city, then I'm down with a new franchise there. Idk if that's the case but my guess is no. I could totally be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or