U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2016, 06:08 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,657,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it still faces a November ballot initiative that has little chance of passing...

Itís a long shot by most accounts right now. The initiative is expected to face significant opposition, including from hoteliers. Last year, the team presented polling data to the NFL that showed about 65% disapproval of public funding for a new stadium in San Diego, the teamís home since 1961.

^Chargers' make-or-break stadium proposal cleared for November vote
Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 08:22 PM

7,987 posts, read 12,440,201 times
Las Vegas is the largest metro area with no sports teams. It has over 2.5 million people in the metro area which is far larger than many areas that do have pro sports.

Columbus, Ohio, Omaha, Nebraska and Richmond, VA are also major cities with no pro sports. In fact there's not a single pro team based in the state of Virginia at all.

Baltimore could have a basketball team to add to the Orioles and Ravens.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 PM

935 posts, read 1,726,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Las Vegas is the largest metro area with no sports teams. It has over 2.5 million people in the metro area which is far larger than many areas that do have pro sports.

Columbus, Ohio, Omaha, Nebraska and Richmond, VA are also major cities with no pro sports. In fact there's not a single pro team based in the state of Virginia at all.

Baltimore could have a basketball team to add to the Orioles and Ravens.

Columbus has the NHL's Blue Jackets and the MLS's Crew.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:35 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,190,180 times
Vegas just got a NHL team I did not even know that until today. When did this happen?

Old 09-19-2016, 08:40 PM

18,923 posts, read 7,045,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Vegas just got a NHL team I did not even know that until today. When did this happen?
It was announced like a month or two ago

Old 09-20-2016, 07:47 AM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It was announced like a month or two ago

it was in all the papers

Old 09-20-2016, 10:34 AM

18,923 posts, read 7,045,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takengon25 View Post

i think is really really vegas
Vegas just got NHL and are on the verge of getting NFL (the Raiders moving from Oakland is all but a done deal), so in the next couple years, Vegas will have two teams in the Big 4 (MLB,NFL,NBA,NHL)

Old 09-20-2016, 10:46 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,544,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Which team would relocate to Portland? I'm 99% certain the NFL isn't imminently considering expansion -- at least not in the mainland US (I've heard rumblings about Europe/Canada).
Portland doesn't have much of a shot at either an NFL team or MLB team. Maybe the Jaguars down the road.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 PM

6,395 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Portland doesn't have much of a shot at either an NFL team or MLB team. Maybe the Jaguars down the road.
Doubtful. Not that I think the Jags are a lock in Jax long term...the city could certainly lose the team in a decade. But I just don't see how an owner would leave Jax for Portland. Would have to be much more of a slam dunk increase in local revenue. In Jax they've done quite an astonishing job the past 4 years of increasing revenue and at that current pace it seems unlikely that a jump to a slightly larger Portland market, with the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves already established, would be a guaranteed, slam dunk, improvement.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:57 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,596,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Doubtful. Not that I think the Jags are a lock in Jax long term...the city could certainly lose the team in a decade. But I just don't see how an owner would leave Jax for Portland. Would have to be much more of a slam dunk increase in local revenue. In Jax they've done quite an astonishing job the past 4 years of increasing revenue and at that current pace it seems unlikely that a jump to a slightly larger Portland market, with the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves already established, would be a guaranteed, slam dunk, improvement.
You mean the MLS Timbers

And yeah, JAX to PDX is a lateral move. Not much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or