U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2016, 06:24 PM

4,613 posts, read 2,769,530 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing Portland is the only metro in the US where the largest stadium seats under 50,000...just 21,144 at Providence Park. This is understandable due to the lack of field-type major league sports except the Timbers, and the lack of a major university sports program. That means MLB or NFL wouldn't be able to play on a temporary field, but would have to have a field before the team arrived. That would be extremely awkward for a relocating team. Home games temporarily in Corvallis or Eugene perhaps? Or for baseball maybe takes Providence Park back but with half the MLB seating, if MLS isn't in the way?

So they'd probably need to build a stadium before getting a team, or get an expansion team that would start maybe 30 months out. Or so it seems from my outsider perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM

6,393 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You mean the MLS Timbers
LOL yeah I typed that without thinking.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:42 PM

99 posts, read 86,489 times
Albuquerque, Austin, Boise, Omaha.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,131,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Doubtful. Not that I think the Jags are a lock in Jax long term...the city could certainly lose the team in a decade. But I just don't see how an owner would leave Jax for Portland. Would have to be much more of a slam dunk increase in local revenue. In Jax they've done quite an astonishing job the past 4 years of increasing revenue and at that current pace it seems unlikely that a jump to a slightly larger Portland market, with the Trail Blazers and Timberwolves already established, would be a guaranteed, slam dunk, improvement.
The Jags should leave Jacksonville for Orlando.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:38 AM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
The Jags should leave Jacksonville for Orlando.

Tampa would no doubt have a problem with that

Old 09-30-2016, 10:46 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,544,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You mean the MLS Timbers

And yeah, JAX to PDX is a lateral move. Not much sense.
Going from the 47th media market to the 24th is hardly a lateral move. Jacksonville can't even support eight homes a year. They have to give one to London.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 AM

18,700 posts, read 27,257,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Going from the 47th media market to the 24th is hardly a lateral move. Jacksonville can't even support eight homes a year. They have to give one to London.
No they don't. I hardly think London would be a diehard market for the NFL than say a Toronto could.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:46 PM

6,393 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
It was originally my comment that led to the suggestion that it is a lateral move. Just to be clear...I was saying it is not a huge jump moving from Jacksonville to Portland with NBA and MLS franchises there already. The remaining disposable income isn't that much greater than Jax. That's all. So it's somewhat lateral (perhaps a small step up) considering the two major league franchises it has.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:20 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,657,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No they don't. I hardly think London would be a diehard market for the NFL than say a Toronto could.
Its about growing the market, not reinforcing the market, hence why Las Vegas got an NHL team prior to QC.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:55 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,709,183 times
Quote:
Highly inaccurate since the Jaguars equaled home attendance of the Steelers and Cardinals, despite not having anywhere near the success winning. I don't get the people who keep picking on the Jags for attendance and suggestions of moving the franchise. They're not going anywhere given the fan support and the recent contract with the City of Jacksonville makes moving next to impossible, never mind that the new owner is seemingly also quite vocal in his support of staying.

2015 NFL Attendance Data | Pro-Football-Reference.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or