U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 12:04 PM

4,445 posts, read 3,596,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
With both Under Armour and Adidas expanding their presence in Portland, I see little reason for Portland not to add one or two more pro teams.

Fortune 500 headquarters are great. Secondary offices with corporations heavily involved in pro sports is also pretty solid.
NHL would be the only good fit (arena already in place). I don't see NFL or MLB going there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 12:09 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,737,417 times
Definitely San Diego. With the Chargers all but gone, SD is now the largest MSA with the fewest pro teams (previously it was San Antonio).

Old 12-08-2016, 07:59 PM

9,475 posts, read 9,657,639 times
I believe Providence is the largest MSA without a pro sports team (1.6 million), or and P5 College team in Basketball or Football. The Highest level sports they have is AHL Hockey, MiLB Baseball and Providence Hockey is in the dominate Eastern Conference, Otherwise its mid-major conferences.
Of course, the Boston teams would never let a team get into Providence, after all the Boston Bruins get better household # in Providence alone than 4 NHL teams get in their entire RSN footprint.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:37 PM

424 posts, read 371,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I believe Providence is the largest MSA without a pro sports team (1.6 million), or and P5 College team in Basketball or Football. The Highest level sports they have is AHL Hockey, MiLB Baseball and Providence Hockey is in the dominate Eastern Conference, Otherwise its mid-major conferences.
Of course, the Boston teams would never let a team get into Providence, after all the Boston Bruins get better household # in Providence alone than 4 NHL teams get in their entire RSN footprint.
Hampton Roads fits all of those criteria, and is slightly larger.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:50 AM

424 posts, read 371,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
What I always wondered was how Utah has the Utah Jazz. Salt Lake City is not that big at all.
The reason for that goes back to the ABA Utah Stars team, which owner Bill Daniels moved to SLC from Los Angeles in 1970. They thrived in a market where they were the #1 basketball attraction (compared to LA, which had the Lakers and UCLA); it also didn't hurt that they won the league championship in their first year in Utah. The team got into financial problems and eventually folded in the middle of 1975, but those could be attributed to bad business decisions by Daniels outside of basketball, which left him with not enough money to run the team. (Additionally, he tried to sell the team twice, but both buyers ended up missing payments, resulting in ownership reverting back to him.)

Although the Stars did not survive long enough to be part of the ABA's merger with the NBA in 1976, SLC had proven itself to be a viable "small market" for professional basketball. So when the New Orleans Jazz were struggling financially in the late 70's, their owner looked to SLC as a place where they could do better...

Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 PM

3,803 posts, read 3,067,492 times
Birmingham for 32nd NHL team? Would be only team around for several hours, decent size market (I believe 1.5M CSA), would benefit from being "only show in town", and being in a sports crazy state (yes for CFB, but that season is quite short, so "If You Build It, They Will Come". Also, since it's a more centralized metro, it would have a tremendous benefit as well.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:08 PM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Birmingham for 32nd NHL team? Would be only team around for several hours, decent size market (I believe 1.5M CSA), would benefit from being "only show in town", and being in a sports crazy state (yes for CFB, but that season is quite short, so "If You Build It, They Will Come". Also, since it's a more centralized metro, it would have a tremendous benefit as well.
how's the Huntsville Div 1 Hockey team drawing? what teams do they play? I see they have a handful of Minnesota lads playing.

...I see they've been in the WCHA for a few years now

Old 12-16-2016, 06:49 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,942,080 times
Charlotte could use an MLB team. There's a huge gap between Atlanta and DC. The region is definitely big enough now.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:04 PM

21,339 posts, read 30,709,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Charlotte could use an MLB team. There's a huge gap between Atlanta and DC. The region is definitely big enough now.
I agree, though it makes too much sense when you have investors foaming at the mouth to place franchises in a city like Las Vegas which will translate into revenue seen in bottomfeeder cities like Orlando or Miami when it comes to attendance numbers.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:55 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,942,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree, though it makes too much sense when you have investors foaming at the mouth to place franchises in a city like Las Vegas which will translate into revenue seen in bottomfeeder cities like Orlando or Miami when it comes to attendance numbers.
I personally think Vegas is a terrible idea for pro sports. Culture isn't proven, it's primarily a tourism city, and tourists aren't going to fly in to watch football they can watch at home.

Most importantly the city is young and transient. If you moved to Vegas from Milwaukee, you're not going to suddenly drop your allegiance to Green Bay. Most people in Clark County either came from somewhere else or Vegas natives have banged like bunnies these last few decades. Though as a counter argument, I guess that hasn't really stopped Phoenix.

But, what can you do? Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Vegas NHL will be a smash hit, and maybe the Raiders will build a 65,000 seat stadium and it'll overflow with fans. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or