U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2016, 11:40 AM

4,614 posts, read 2,769,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I believe Providence is the largest MSA without a pro sports team (1.6 million), or and P5 College team in Basketball or Football. The Highest level sports they have is AHL Hockey, MiLB Baseball and Providence Hockey is in the dominate Eastern Conference, Otherwise its mid-major conferences.
Of course, the Boston teams would never let a team get into Providence, after all the Boston Bruins get better household # in Providence alone than 4 NHL teams get in their entire RSN footprint.
In terms of legit core cities, I'll take your word for it.

But MSAs are sometimes just suburban wings of a bigger city. What's in the Riverside MSA, which is part of the LA CSA?

Providence is part of the Boston CSA. If you qualify your statement with "largest MSA based on a legit core city" it might be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 AM

103 posts, read 96,456 times
Default White population too small in Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Birmingham for 32nd NHL team? Would be only team around for several hours, decent size market (I believe 1.5M CSA), would benefit from being "only show in town", and being in a sports crazy state (yes for CFB, but that season is quite short, so "If You Build It, They Will Come". Also, since it's a more centralized metro, it would have a tremendous benefit as well.
I don't really see an NHL team being successful in Birmingham. Hockey is not very popular among African Americans, who make up about 3/4 of Birmingham's population. That means the white population in the city itself is barely 50,000. Even including the suburbs, there just isn't a large enough population of hockey fans with money to regularly spend on tickets. There are a number of better candidates for a team: Houston, Hartford, Kansas City, Seattle, maybe even Indianapolis.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:50 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,942,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I believe Providence is the largest MSA without a pro sports team
Don't the Patriots count? I know it's Boston MSA, but Providence is still closer.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:04 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,015,860 times
I've previously posted this in this thread, but Omaha. There are about 1 million people in a 50 mile radius of downtown and few big companies headquartered there.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:52 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,544,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
NHL would be the only good fit (arena already in place). I don't see NFL or MLB going there.
Hockey would be nice, but the NBA and NHL don't like to share smaller markets. If Portland had a baseball team, its low electrical costs would make night games more profitable.

Yeah, I'm reaching.

Old 12-21-2016, 09:31 AM

The new census came out and Oregon and Washington are booming. Portland deserves a football or baseball team. Case closed.

Why should the dying Midwestern and Northeastern cities keep so many teams while Portland has to make do with basketball and soccer?

Old 12-21-2016, 09:40 AM

21,553 posts, read 22,147,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
The new census came out and Oregon and Washington are booming. Portland deserves a football or baseball team. Case closed.

Why should the dying Midwestern and Northeastern cities keep so many teams while Portland has to make do with basketball and soccer?

LOL...Portland couldn't even keep their arena football league team going

they had a chance to get the Montreal Expos but botched that up as well

Old 12-21-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
LOL...Portland couldn't even keep their arena football league team going

they had a chance to get the Montreal Expos but botched that up as well
Five out of eight arena football teams folded and Portland's team was awful.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:02 AM

9,475 posts, read 9,657,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
I don't really see an NHL team being successful in Birmingham. Hockey is not very popular among African Americans, who make up about 3/4 of Birmingham's population. That means the white population in the city itself is barely 50,000. Even including the suburbs, there just isn't a large enough population of hockey fans with money to regularly spend on tickets. There are a number of better candidates for a team: Houston, Hartford, Kansas City, Seattle, maybe even Indianapolis.
We will see how Las Vegas works out, if Vegas can work then I think Birmingham can.
If being Nevadas team can overwhelm the natural unpopularity of Hockey in the Desert, then I think being Alabama's pro team might be enough to support a franchise. Of course the support would probably melt away if an NBA or MLB team moved in as those sports are more popular.

Old 01-14-2017, 04:09 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,416,167 times
The NFL team known as the San Diego Chargers are now officially the Los Angeles Chargers, as they've made it official that they intend on moving north to Los Angeles prior to the start of the next football season.

Chargers announce move to Los Angeles, leaving San Diego

The NFL team known as the Oakland Raiders are clearing their path towards their move to Las Vegas to become the Las Vegas Raiders. The Raiders have secured two different means to fund their new stadium in Las Vegas, the first is the initial plan and the second is a back-up plan if the initial plan involving Sheldon Adelson falls through (their secondary source for funding is Goldman Sachs, a loan they've secured). According to NFL league insiders, the Raiders will get the necessary 24 out of 32 votes to successfully move to Las Vegas. The 32 NFL team owners will meet at the end of March 2017 to vote and in recent months has gained immense backing by prominent NFL owners (many of whom have been very public in their support of Mark Davis' move to Las Vegas). The Raiders are most likely done from Oakland.

Raiders to reportedly file relocation paperwork for move to Las Vegas - CBSSports.com

The MLS is moving forward with the initial phase of its next set of expansion teams. They have tallied a roster of 10 cities that could potentially be in the running for an expansion team and will move forward from there in a few weeks. The deadline to submit expansion application is approaching on January 31, 2017:

MLS Commissioner Don Garber sees expansion opportunity in San Diego | MLSsoccer.com

On the NBA front, speculation is that within 5 years there will be two NBA expansion teams; one in Seattle and another in Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or