U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-16-2017, 11:49 AM
 
3,803 posts, read 3,067,492 times
Reputation: 2550

Advertisements

Do you mean just in TX? I assume that's what you meant, since Memphis, Oklahoma City, Winnipeg, Jacksonville, etc. have all become big league cities in that period of time. That's a good point, but Austin is still nearly 3 hours from Dallas, and all San Antonio has in NBA. I would figure NHL would be a perfect fit there (complementing, not competing UT sports and NBA Spurs), and they probably want to have a 32nd team, that, or MLS, but interestingly enough San Antonio, not Austin, was among the cities looked at for a franchise for that, and all 10 of the candidate cities they are looking at already have a team(s).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2017, 12:10 PM
 
3,803 posts, read 3,067,492 times
Reputation: 2550
I wanted to do international too, but it's a little more difficult. I think there is only one city right now in the other hemisphere that could get a team, and I think it would be the obvious one and sport (London, NFL). I really don't see any South American cities being viable either, since they are so soccer obsessed and there really hasn't been any outreach from our end. I think a city like Tokyo or Beijing could eventually also do an NFL team, but that's a LONG way off, and would require a lot of movement not happening now, and is also much more logistically difficult than London is.

Toronto makes a lot of sense for a potential NFL team. Less likely, but also possible for NFL are Montreal and Mexico City.

NBA already didn't work in Vancouver, Mexico City and Montreal are worth exploring, but not super likely.

Another Mexican city with a chance at some of these if managed well is Monterrey (I especially see MLS there, but then again, Mexican soccer leagues are already quite big, so it would require a collaboration/merger of some type)

Panama City has slim chance, though less than the other cities I've mentioned.

In the Caribbean, Santo Domingo and Havana (actually), along with San Juan (most likely right now), have some chance, but it would probably be something decades into a significantly changed future for any of them. I'd put the odds of Panama City as about on par with San Juan, and the other two less so (though, on a 50 yr. outlook, Havana's probability might be highest).

MLB: Montreal, Mexico City really only two I'd consider. MAYBE Vancouver also, but I don't think Seattle would approve.

MLS: I'd put Guadalajara, Monterrey, Mexico City down as having a slim chance, and only really if there was a merger. Panama City and San Jose (CR) also with a slim chance. In Canada, maybe Calgary, Quebec City and Edmonton if league continues to expand.

NHL: Mexico City has to be considered based on sheer size. Also, in the US, but Anchorage AK if it ever has a growth spurt. Where were really talking about team movement and addition is in Canada though, where I tend to refer to this article, to aid information about probability.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-stanley-cup/
Quebec City, the Toronto Metro (2nd team of course), Hamilton, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay, Saint John, Halifax, Kingston, and Victoria should all be considered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 10:55 PM
 
1,246 posts, read 905,154 times
Reputation: 1940
NFL: Las Vegas or San Antonio
MLB: Portland or Indianapolis
NBA: Cincinnati or Kansas City
NHL: Houston or Milwaukee
MLS: San Antonio, Phoenix, or Detroit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 11:12 PM
 
4,671 posts, read 6,160,198 times
Reputation: 5845
Seattle is the obvious choice for an NHL and NBA team. But if the public doesn't want to pay for stadiums it probably won't happen any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,942,080 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Seattle is the obvious choice for an NHL and NBA team. But if the public doesn't want to pay for stadiums it probably won't happen any time soon.
I think the league is starving for a team to get back to Seattle, kind of like the NFL with LA. I read somewhere that something could come to fruition once expansion talks kick back up.

Most cities don't want to pay for stadiums anymore. T Mobile Arena in Vegas was privately funded. Seattle may not have the backing of casinos, but I think something could possibly be worked out. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Albuquerque, NM
City: 545,000 MSA: 900,000 CSA: 1.1million

It could certainly support a major league franchise.
Albuquerque is a poor city and has a very small media market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I think the league is starving for a team to get back to Seattle, kind of like the NFL with LA. I read somewhere that something could come to fruition once expansion talks kick back up.

Most cities don't want to pay for stadiums anymore. T Mobile Arena in Vegas was privately funded. Seattle may not have the backing of casinos, but I think something could possibly be worked out. We'll see.
I think Seattle could easily support both an NBA and NHL team. It has the population and is a high income city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I wanted to do international too, but it's a little more difficult. I think there is only one city right now in the other hemisphere that could get a team, and I think it would be the obvious one and sport (London, NFL). I really don't see any South American cities being viable either, since they are so soccer obsessed and there really hasn't been any outreach from our end. I think a city like Tokyo or Beijing could eventually also do an NFL team, but that's a LONG way off, and would require a lot of movement not happening now, and is also much more logistically difficult than London is.

Toronto makes a lot of sense for a potential NFL team. Less likely, but also possible for NFL are Montreal and Mexico City.

NBA already didn't work in Vancouver, Mexico City and Montreal are worth exploring, but not super likely.

Another Mexican city with a chance at some of these if managed well is Monterrey (I especially see MLS there, but then again, Mexican soccer leagues are already quite big, so it would require a collaboration/merger of some type)

Panama City has slim chance, though less than the other cities I've mentioned.

In the Caribbean, Santo Domingo and Havana (actually), along with San Juan (most likely right now), have some chance, but it would probably be something decades into a significantly changed future for any of them. I'd put the odds of Panama City as about on par with San Juan, and the other two less so (though, on a 50 yr. outlook, Havana's probability might be highest).

MLB: Montreal, Mexico City really only two I'd consider. MAYBE Vancouver also, but I don't think Seattle would approve.

MLS: I'd put Guadalajara, Monterrey, Mexico City down as having a slim chance, and only really if there was a merger. Panama City and San Jose (CR) also with a slim chance. In Canada, maybe Calgary, Quebec City and Edmonton if league continues to expand.

NHL: Mexico City has to be considered based on sheer size. Also, in the US, but Anchorage AK if it ever has a growth spurt. Where were really talking about team movement and addition is in Canada though, where I tend to refer to this article, to aid information about probability.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-stanley-cup/
Quebec City, the Toronto Metro (2nd team of course), Hamilton, Saskatoon, Thunder Bay, Saint John, Halifax, Kingston, and Victoria should all be considered
Mexico city can definitely support an NFL team The NFL is pretty popular in Mexico. They played the Raiders vs Texans in Mexico city a few weeks ago. They love the Raiders. My wife is Mexican and all her family lives in Mexico. Some of her nephews play American Football in school in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,700 posts, read 27,257,226 times
Reputation: 9654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
NFL: Las Vegas or San Antonio
MLB: Portland or Indianapolis
NBA: Cincinnati or Kansas City
NHL: Houston or Milwaukee
MLS: San Antonio, Phoenix, or Detroit
I see no chance that MLB would go to Indianapolis. Not when you have St Louis, Cincinnati, Chicago, and Detroit surrounding it. Also, it's not a very large market. Also, it's the 26th largest media market. Two teams is the right size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:13 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,596,556 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I think Seattle could easily support both an NBA and NHL team. It has the population and is a high income city.
It would make sense to give Seattle another NBA team and Portland an NHL team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top