U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-19-2017, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
It would make sense to give Seattle another NBA team and Portland an NHL team.
I think Seattle would be a better choice for the NHL as well. It is a much larger city than Portland and higher income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2017, 09:23 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,596,556 times
Reputation: 5314
But Vancouver BC is just up the road. Put a little more distance between the two NHL markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 09:36 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But Vancouver BC is just up the road. Put a little more distance between the two NHL markets.
That would make a great rivalry. The 2 cities are far enough apart and there is that little thing called a border between them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
22,209 posts, read 27,645,883 times
Reputation: 8697
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
But Vancouver BC is just up the road. Put a little more distance between the two NHL markets.
I don't think the fact that Vancouver is in the NHL has much of an impact in Washington State, and especially not in the Seattle area. There are very few Canucks fans in WA AFAIK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 03:37 PM
 
4,671 posts, read 6,160,198 times
Reputation: 5845
In all 4 leagues there are teams that are just as close as Seattle and Vancouver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2017, 10:54 PM
 
4,614 posts, read 2,769,530 times
Reputation: 4186
I'm not aware of any Canucks fans in Seattle except actual Canadians. Then again I'm not aware of ANY hockey fans in Seattle except people that moved here from hockey areas. Though apparently someone pays attention to our minor-league teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 AM
 
3,803 posts, read 3,067,492 times
Reputation: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Mexico city can definitely support an NFL team The NFL is pretty popular in Mexico. They played the Raiders vs Texans in Mexico city a few weeks ago. They love the Raiders. My wife is Mexican and all her family lives in Mexico. Some of her nephews play American Football in school in Mexico.
I think the popularity and money are both there, true. I think the bigger problems would be from a logistical standpoint, and then also from a cultural standpoint, I don't know how many athletes would have major culture shock there, and difficulty fitting in without learning Spanish. Also, while I agree with you, Mexico City is a great place, it still has a perception problem I think, even among powers that be, that doesn't even have much to do with the city itself, but extends over the city also and could hurt its chances. That's why while it would be viable, I think even Toronto and Montreal are more likely landing spots. How owners decided Las Vegas, Jacksonville, etc markets were more viable/profitable than Toronto, I will never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 06:07 AM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,190,180 times
Reputation: 2326
Austin TX but it won't happen anytime soon because Texas has too many pro teams already. Ironically Vegas went from zero pro teams in 2016 to possibly two professional teams in 2017. I do not know when the Oakland Raiders will actually move to Vegas thou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Murrieta California
3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Reputation: 2156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I think the popularity and money are both there, true. I think the bigger problems would be from a logistical standpoint, and then also from a cultural standpoint, I don't know how many athletes would have major culture shock there, and difficulty fitting in without learning Spanish. Also, while I agree with you, Mexico City is a great place, it still has a perception problem I think, even among powers that be, that doesn't even have much to do with the city itself, but extends over the city also and could hurt its chances. That's why while it would be viable, I think even Toronto and Montreal are more likely landing spots. How owners decided Las Vegas, Jacksonville, etc markets were more viable/profitable than Toronto, I will never know.
I don't think they would allow the NFL in Canada because it would devastate the CFL teams in Montreal and Toronto. Other than that it would be a good choice because the NFL is pretty popular in Canada even more than their own CFL.

I disagree with you on Mexico City. Have you ever been there? I lived in Mexico and have spent a lot of time in Mexico City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2017, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
6,395 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Austin TX but it won't happen anytime soon because Texas has too many pro teams already. Ironically Vegas went from zero pro teams in 2016 to possibly two professional teams in 2017. I do not know when the Oakland Raiders will actually move to Vegas thou.
I believe the NHL team (Golden Knights) would begin play in 2018 and the Raiders, if approved, would begin in 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I don't think they would allow the NFL in Canada because it would devastate the CFL teams in Montreal and Toronto. Other than that it would be a good choice because the NFL is pretty popular in Canada even more than their own CFL.

I disagree with you on Mexico City. Have you ever been there? I lived in Mexico and have spent a lot of time in Mexico City.
Well for the International Game in Mexico City this year the NFL warned the players not to leave the hotel nor eat food from outside the hotel. So that's quite a difficulty/concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top