U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,262 posts, read 19,333,315 times
Reputation: 7036

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

The metro im currently in Birmingham which is a top 50 media market (#42, larger than OKC, New Orleans, Buffalo and maybe Memphis) but is never mentioned as a candidate for an NBA, MLS, or even an NFL expansion franchise.
Because of Atlanta, New Orleans, Memphis, and Nashville...

Birmingham would AT BEST be good for MLS or WNBA, but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
 
Location: 352
5,122 posts, read 3,961,523 times
Reputation: 3495
Imo nothing in Birmingham will ever be bigger than SEC football. The state of Alabama is blessed with not 1, but 2 national powers.

If Memphis didnt have the Grizzlies, who would they root for? There may be UT love, but its way on the other end of the state. Tuscaloosa is what, an hour from Birmingham?

I agree Mexico City is dumb, but Montreal and baseball make sense. Not like non-USA teams dont already exist...

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
 
4,671 posts, read 6,174,188 times
Reputation: 5845
An NFL team in Mexico city opens up a potential fan base of millions.

Why would a team want to compete with the tide? Birmingham won't have a pro team in any league in our lifetime.

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2017 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Birmingham
11,787 posts, read 13,521,660 times
Reputation: 10028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
It's a business. Profit and nothing else is the answer. An NFL team in Mexico city opens up a potential fan base of millions.

Why would a team want to compete with the tide? Birmingham won't have a pro team in any league in our lifetime.
Why would athletes want to live or raise families in Mexico City... Probably very few of them do and the extra amount they will have to pay for security will eat into those huge profits they think they will get by bringing the sport to a huge metropolis that loves the other football.


As for the last part, I'll take you up on that...unless you are in your 90s or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM
 
4,671 posts, read 6,174,188 times
Reputation: 5845
Lol. Why would athletes want to live in Mexico city?

Because their masters who pay them millions tell them too.

I'm 41. Maybe Bham will get a soccer team. Not one of the big 4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Denver
14,170 posts, read 19,981,346 times
Reputation: 8871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Why would athletes want to live or raise families in Mexico City... Probably very few of them do and the extra amount they will have to pay for security will eat into those huge profits they think they will get by bringing the sport to a huge metropolis that loves the other football.


As for the last part, I'll take you up on that...unless you are in your 90s or something.
Mexico City is not northern Mexico. I'd enjoy living there on a millionaire salary, I'm sure people would like it better there than Birmingham. And also Birmingham is in the Saints territory, maybe some of the Falcons since the recent bandwagon run.
Also there's no history of pro sports in all of Alabama, there's 0 chance of y'all getting a team soon.

Also Mexico City is home to more people than New York while Montreal has about as many people as Alabama, both of which do not have numerous nearby teams to compete with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,383,994 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Imo nothing in Birmingham will ever be bigger than SEC football. The state of Alabama is blessed with not 1, but 2 national powers.

If Memphis didnt have the Grizzlies, who would they root for? There may be UT love, but its way on the other end of the state. Tuscaloosa is what, an hour from Birmingham?
45 mins-an hour depending on where in the Bham metro your in.

Yes SEC Football is huge here but what does that have to do with landing an NBA or MLS team? SEC football doesn't dominate the sports calendar in this area year round. The NFL would be a long shot, but there would be enough interest imo if we ever got a franchise

As for Memphis, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas are well represented there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mexico City is not northern Mexico. I'd enjoy living there on a millionaire salary, I'm sure people would like it better there than Birmingham. And also Birmingham is in the Saints territory, maybe some of the Falcons since the recent bandwagon run.
Also there's no history of pro sports in all of Alabama, there's 0 chance of y'all getting a team soon.

Also Mexico City is home to more people than New York while Montreal has about as many people as Alabama, both of which do not have numerous nearby teams to compete with.
Birmingham is nowhere close to Saints territory. That would be Mobile. Support for the teams in Nashville, ATL or NO is lukewarm at best. The NFL has us in the Falcons market but I would be hard pressed to find five die-hard fans in this area.

There was no history of pro sports in ATL, Nashville, Jacksonville (still don't know how the hell they got awarded a franchise) N.O or Memphis before there teams got there so that should not be a factor against Birmingham.

Finally..Most players would rather be in the U.S than Mexico City. The fact that the any pro league is considering putting a team there or in London is a joke.

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM
 
4,671 posts, read 6,174,188 times
Reputation: 5845
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

Finally..Most players would rather be in the U.S than Mexico City. The fact that the any pro league is considering putting a team there or in London is a joke.

Players don't want to live in London or Mexico city but they do want to live in Birmingham, Alabama?

Not to mention the fact that where players want to live means nothing to the billionaires who control the leagues.

Be logical.. Open up the fan base of an entire country or put a team in Birmingham?

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,265,897 times
Reputation: 2135
Birmingham is never getting a professional team. Ever. The only thing going for Birmingham is its population (still small but on par with New Orleans metro) and location. There's not a huge corporate presence in the city with a lot of wealth. Not many people are going to want to invest in Alabama. The stadium they have their is not ideal for professional sports IMO. The only cities in the U.S. that I can think of right now that have a good chance of getting a team is Louisville and Austin. Hartford, Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, Fort Worth, and Tacoma all have the ingredients necessary to get a team but it's too close to other markets. On top of that, it has gotten MUCH harder to relocate teams nowadays because politics has gotten a hold of sports since it's a huge tax revenue money grabber.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,706 posts, read 27,312,955 times
Reputation: 9662
^^ Yeah good post. The lack of corporate presence is probably the biggest problem for Birmingham right now. I don't know if the NFL would work there. Same with the NHL and especially MLB. But the NBA definitely could work there. I don't think the proximity of Atlanta means anything there. The problem for Birmingham is there maybe other cities that the NBA can make a better profit that would be considered before B'ham such as St Louis (especially), Kansas City, maybe even Louisville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top