U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,380,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Birmingham is never getting a professional team. Ever. The only thing going for Birmingham is its population (still small but on par with New Orleans metro) and location. There's not a huge corporate presence in the city with a lot of wealth. Not many people are going to want to invest in Alabama. The stadium they have their is not ideal for professional sports IMO. The only cities in the U.S. that I can think of right now that have a good chance of getting a team is Louisville and Austin. Hartford, Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, Fort Worth, and Tacoma all have the ingredients necessary to get a team but it's too close to other markets. On top of that, it has gotten MUCH harder to relocate teams nowadays because politics has gotten a hold of sports since it's a huge tax revenue money grabber.
Birmingham isnt getting a pro team ever, but you list Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, and Tacoma? LMAO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,946,976 times
Quote:
Birmingham is never getting a professional team. Ever. The only thing going for Birmingham is its population (still small but on par with New Orleans metro) and location. There's not a huge corporate presence in the city with a lot of wealth. Not many people are going to want to invest in Alabama. The stadium they have their is not ideal for professional sports IMO. The only cities in the U.S. that I can think of right now that have a good chance of getting a team is Louisville and Austin. Hartford, Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, Fort Worth, and Tacoma all have the ingredients necessary to get a team but it's too close to other markets. On top of that, it has gotten MUCH harder to relocate teams nowadays because politics has gotten a hold of sports since it's a huge tax revenue money grabber.
Seattle will get their team back before anyone else gets an expansion. Severly doubt Austin would land a team with the Mavs and especially the Spurs right there.

Cant see Austin getting anything other than soccer, unless the leagues start massive expansions. Austin's large, but its too close to already established and famous bases.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:17 PM

14,170 posts, read 19,943,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post

Birmingham is nowhere close to Saints territory. That would be Mobile. Support for the teams in Nashville, ATL or NO is lukewarm at best. The NFL has us in the Falcons market but I would be hard pressed to find five die-hard fans in this area.

There was no history of pro sports in ATL, Nashville, Jacksonville (still don't know how the hell they got awarded a franchise) N.O or Memphis before there teams got there so that should not be a factor against Birmingham.

Finally..Most players would rather be in the U.S than Mexico City. The fact that the any pro league is considering putting a team there or in London is a joke.
According to Facebook it is: deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

On the Saints forum it's common knowledge that Alabama is Saints territory, especially everything from Montgomery south.

The Saints came to New Orleans in 1966-67, the NFL was much smaller and much less influential. Atloseta in 1965-66. New Orleans also had a NBA team, and Houston wasn't the behemoth it is now.

Birmingham is in a terrible location for a team and the only leagues that would come would be NBA and maybe MLS but not withing the next 10-20 years. Also Bama sports are more ingrained in Birmingham than LSU is in New Orleans. There are rabid Saints fans here that do not like or care about LSU in anyway. New Orleans would get MLS before Birmingham I believe, especially is Tom Benson wanted to bring one to NO.

I don't think players are going to care much if they have to live in a city like Mexico City, it's a great place to live for rich people and Birmingham isn't attractive compared to other cities with pro sports.

London is crazy but Mexico City is short flight and Mexico is much more involved with America in every aspect than England, it's not at all to crazy to see a MLB or NFL team in the city. It's more people than NYC and the professional sports business, is, a business. There's far more money to be made in Mexico City than in Birmingham.

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2017 at 12:41 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 01:04 AM

4,671 posts, read 6,164,022 times
The NBA doesn't seem to be in any big hurry to get into cities like Pittsburgh, KC, St Louis etc... Doesn't make sense to even mention Birmingham.

The NFL is foaming at the mouth to get into London. It'll happen... London makes no sense for any other sport.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Lol. Why would athletes want to live in Mexico city?

Because their masters who pay them millions tell them too.

I'm 41. Maybe Bham will get a soccer team. Not one of the big 4
Wait, you have to live in the same city you play? That's news to me. Having the option to live fairly close in a nice suburb so they don't have to worry about their wife and/or kids is probably something to consider, rather than living anywhere in a third world country with rampant crime issues, murders and abductions. "Maybe a soccer team." Good. Start backtracking now, lay out all the conditions for when you decide you don't have to eat those words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Mexico City is not northern Mexico. I'd enjoy living there on a millionaire salary, I'm sure people would like it better there than Birmingham. And also Birmingham is in the Saints territory, maybe some of the Falcons since the recent bandwagon run.
Are these supposed to be facts or just you talking, because I'm not convinced. Especially you trying to tell me who most people cheer for NFL wise around here, because there's no concensus on anything and the Saints are far from it. Not the Falcons or the Titans either.

Quote:
Also there's no history of pro sports in all of Alabama, there's 0 chance of y'all getting a team soon.
This is a false statement. In fact it is so false that it probably means you meant to say something else but just didn't word it properly, so try again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I don't think players are going to care much if they have to live in a city like Mexico City, it's a great place to live for rich people and Birmingham isn't attractive compared to other cities with pro sports.
Ha ha. Because NO, Memphis, Buffalo, Baltimore, etc etc are so glamorous compared to Birmingham.

Last edited by Tourian; 04-22-2017 at 08:39 AM..

Old 04-22-2017, 08:59 AM

21,351 posts, read 30,744,798 times
Quote:
The only cities in the U.S. that I can think of right now that have a good chance of getting a team is Louisville and Austin. Hartford, Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, Fort Worth, and Tacoma all have the ingredients necessary to get a team but it's too close to other markets. On top of that, it has gotten MUCH harder to relocate teams nowadays because politics has gotten a hold of sports since it's a huge tax revenue money grabber.
Which is why they wouldn't be good options to begin with. Geographic proximity is one of the few key criteria in expansion. The clear favorites if talking lack of proximity to other markets, disposable income potential/fan support and proven track records with existing or former franchises in my opinion would point to St Louis (NFL or NBA), Oklahoma City (NFL), Charlotte (MLB), Indianapolis (MLB) and Kansas City (NBA). In terms of new cities it would be difficult to argue against Richmond which has the key elements necessary to compete for a franchise.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:57 AM
JJG

13,257 posts, read 19,308,170 times
Quote:
The only cities in the U.S. that I can think of right now that have a good chance of getting a team is Louisville and Austin. Hartford, Providence, Albany, Newark, Toledo, Fort Worth, and Tacoma all have the ingredients necessary to get a team but it's too close to other markets.
Fort Worth shares it's metro/market with Dallas. It's possible that DFW could become a "two in one league" market like NY, L.A., Chicago, and the Bay Area some day, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Louisville has MLS in the works, could possibly get an NBA franchise in the next round of expansion. Highly doubt Austin even goes after any major pro sports teams.

As far the other 6 cities you mentioned, I'd say just 2 of those are truly possible, and it just so happens to be the same two that HAD teams before.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:01 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,946,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Wait, you have to live in the same city you play? That's news to me. Having the option to live fairly close in a nice suburb so they don't have to worry about their wife and/or kids is probably something to consider, rather than living anywhere in a third world country with rampant crime issues, murders and abductions. "Maybe a soccer team." Good. Start backtracking now, lay out all the conditions for when you decide you don't have to eat those words.
Calling Mexico third world, come on man. It's a tier below the US in "developed", but its at the high end of that tier. I understand everyones ragging on Bham. I'd personally prefer to live in Bham over Mexico City, but if I were a billionaire team owner, I'd be moving the team to MXC, no contest.

Birmingham wouldnt be offering me much other than filling that hole between Nola and ATL. Soccer sure, i'd heavily consider.

One thing that hasnt been mentioned, especially when it comes to NBA: yeah players dont have to live where they play, but team location and market size still plays a huge role. Kobe wasnt going to play anywhere other than LA. Lebron only plays for Cleveland because thats his home, and everyone else has joined so they can play with him. If he hated growing up in Akron, he'd be elsewhere.

Houston may not be as glamourous as LA, MIA, or NYC, but the market is huge. James Harden made a wise move leaving OKC. Then you have teams like Milwaukee. Sure theyre in the playoffs, but youd have to give mutiple arms and legs to persuade Lebron, KD, CP3, Curry, Westbrook, whoever to go there in free agency.

Not saying a Birmingham team is impossible, but Mexico City is just a more attractive spot in terms of business and market. MXC is huge. I dont think either is ideal, but if its MXC vs Bham, MXC wins.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:27 AM

3,005 posts, read 3,793,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is why they wouldn't be good options to begin with. Geographic proximity is one of the few key criteria in expansion. The clear favorites if talking lack of proximity to other markets, disposable income potential/fan support and proven track records with existing or former franchises in my opinion would point to St Louis (NFL or NBA), Oklahoma City (NFL), Charlotte (MLB), Indianapolis (MLB) and Kansas City (NBA). In terms of new cities it would be difficult to argue against Richmond which has the key elements necessary to compete for a franchise.
Tacoma WA? You have to be joking. Tacoma is part of the Seattle market. It would be like putting a second team in Seattle.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:55 AM

4,671 posts, read 6,164,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

Are these supposed to be facts or just you talking, because I'm not convinced. Especially you trying to tell me who most people cheer for NFL wise around here, because there's no concensus on anything and the Saints are far from it. Not the Falcons or the Titans either.

This is a false statement. In fact it is so false that it probably means you meant to say something else but just didn't word it properly, so try again.

Ha ha. Because NO, Memphis, Buffalo, Baltimore, etc etc are so glamorous compared to Birmingham.

You're easily confused. It's the other Birmingham Homer that insists players have to live in the city they play for. The one who thinks players would rather live in Birmingham than London.

So break it down for us Homer, which major league sport is most likely coming to Birmingham and how soon are you expecting it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or