U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,709,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Which is why they wouldn't be good options to begin with. Geographic proximity is one of the few key criteria in expansion. The clear favorites if talking lack of proximity to other markets, disposable income potential/fan support and proven track records with existing or former franchises in my opinion would point to St Louis (NFL or NBA), Oklahoma City (NFL), Charlotte (MLB), Indianapolis (MLB) and Kansas City (NBA). In terms of new cities it would be difficult to argue against Richmond which has the key elements necessary to compete for a franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
Tacoma WA? You have to be joking. Tacoma is part of the Seattle market. It would be like putting a second team in Seattle.

Ummm, I agree and if you read my post you'll notice I never mentioned Tacoma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 12:13 PM

14,163 posts, read 19,929,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

Are these supposed to be facts or just you talking, because I'm not convinced. Especially you trying to tell me who most people cheer for NFL wise around here, because there's no concensus on anything and the Saints are far from it. Not the Falcons or the Titans either.

This is a false statement. In fact it is so false that it probably means you meant to say something else but just didn't word it properly, so try again.

Ha ha. Because NO, Memphis, Buffalo, Baltimore, etc etc are so glamorous compared to Birmingham.
Here: Twitter breaks down NFL fan bases across the country - NFL.com

Most of Alabama is Saints territory, I'm sure it's not an overwhelming majority but it says something that Dallas or Pittsburgh isn't the majority like in parts of Mississippi and Alabama.

Which team are you talking about beasause I see no major professional leagues here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ams_in_Alabama

New Orleans and Baltimore are places I would rather live than Birmingham. New Orleans punches far above it's weight and would be more attractive to young rich athletes with all the activities. Baltimore is next to DC so that's a given. The Baltimore DC area has some of the nicest suburbs in the country.
Also, this isn't about how desirable the market is, it's about money and Birmingham will struggle with Bama football, Saints, and the Falcons. Also the NBA has the market pretty cornered with Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta. MLS is looking for larger cities, especially ones with a higher foreign born population and I don't think Birmingham would meet that requirement. They are looking to expand but there are far more attractive markets than Birmingham at the moment.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:57 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,486,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
You're easily confused. It's the other Birmingham Homer that insists players have to live in the city they play for. The one who thinks players would rather live in Birmingham than London.

So break it down for us Homer, which major league sport is most likely coming to Birmingham and how soon are you expecting it?
Who's Homer? I'm Tourian.

Don't you worry about that. You just stick to "no pro team in any league in Birmingham during our lifetimes" and we'll see about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Here: Twitter breaks down NFL fan bases across the country - NFL.com

Most of Alabama is Saints territory, I'm sure it's not an overwhelming majority but it says something that Dallas or Pittsburgh isn't the majority like in parts of Mississippi and Alabama.
Twitter. Ok. Ha ha. "Fun interactive map." That's cute.

Quote:
Which team are you talking about beasause I see no major professional leagues here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ms_in_Alabama.

Major? Did you say major before? What does that mean? Doesn't matter. You said there was no history of pro teams ever in Alabama and now here you are providing a link to pro teams that have existed in Alabama.

The back track is strong with both of you.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:26 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,416,167 times
Mexico City doesn't need an MLS team, the Mexican soccer league already is far superior to the MLS by both talent production and level of competition, in addition to following and popularity. That's why the MLS hasn't even bothered looking into expanding in Mexico, they know they'd be far outclassed by superior leagues.

Mexico City is viewed as a point of interest for other sports leagues however, the NBA, MLB, and even NFL to an extent. Each season the NBA and NFL play regular season games in Mexico City to gauge the market because they have an interest in potentially expanding there at some point over the longterm should it prove to be supportive.

You couldn't really fault the sports leagues and their interest in Mexico City. It is a place with over 22 million people, has an excessive amount of wealth concentration with guys like Carlos Slim and other Billionaires, and it is the next frontier in North America for major professional sports to expand to. It's value is undeniable, just off sheer numbers alone.

Likewise, the next MLB expansion team will most definitely be in Montreal. My personal hope is that the next NBA expansion is Seattle and Montreal as well, a team in each conference to keep it aligned and Montreal has the requisites to support NBA, far far far better than any market in America that currently lacks a team not named Seattle.

Montreal already has NHL and MLS, so it is already somewhat integrated with the network of other American and Canadian cities that have a professional sports team in NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and MLS.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:34 PM

567 posts, read 572,927 times
Quote:
Tacoma WA? You have to be joking. Tacoma is part of the Seattle market. It would be like putting a second team in Seattle.
Tacoma could support a team without a doubt. I think NBA would thrive in Tacoma actually

Old 04-22-2017, 04:40 PM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Ummm, I agree and if you read my post you'll notice I never mentioned Tacoma.
My bad, sorry about that. I meant to quote "Humpday" which said Tacoma.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Tacoma could support a team without a doubt. I think NBA would thrive in Tacoma actually
Downtown Tacoma is 33 miles from downtown Seattle. Why Tacoma and not Seattle? Seattle is 3 times as large, and much more prosperous. Tacoma makes no sense at all.

Last edited by JohnSoCal; 04-22-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 06:26 PM

4,614 posts, read 2,769,530 times
Tacoma had a team for two years in the 90s, but it relied on Seattle, and of course it was still the Seattle Sonics.

Better to put the team in the middle of the metro rather than in a semi-independent city toward the edge. And where the money is.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:43 PM

14,163 posts, read 19,929,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

Twitter. Ok. Ha ha. "Fun interactive map." That's cute.

Major? Did you say major before? What does that mean? Doesn't matter. You said there was no history of pro teams ever in Alabama and now here you are providing a link to pro teams that have existed in Alabama.

The back track is strong with both of you.
The Facebook map shows the same thing. I provided a source for my claims, no matter how trivial you find it. You have not.

We are in a thread about the major 5 sports leagues. We are talking about major sports leagues. Every podunk town has had some minor league team at one point.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:15 PM
JJG

13,256 posts, read 19,295,848 times
Quote:
Downtown Tacoma is 33 miles from downtown Seattle. Why Tacoma and not Seattle? Seattle is 3 times as large, and much more prosperous. Tacoma makes no sense at all.
On top of that, Seattle is pretty much gauranted to be next in line for NBA expansion, getting the Sonics back.

They'll be the Cleveland Browns of the NBA... hopefully for them, NOT in terms of losing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or