U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,942,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
He said I live in Saints territory. What does that imply to you?
I think you're taking it way too literal and way too personal. Again, I'm sure they meant there's more Saints fans than anyone else, even if the difference isn't that noticeable, not "you are in Saints country, Saints rule Birmingham, deal with it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 11:59 AM

14,163 posts, read 19,929,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Yeah I know, it's a stupid contract situation, and they're in the "red" as far as $$$ goes, bringing in a fresh team could help that out.
Yeah it's really stupid but understandable from their perspective. Otherwise it would be known as whatever NBA team calls it home and not the home of the Cardinals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I think you're taking it way too literal and way too personal. Again, I'm sure they meant there's more Saints fans than anyone else, even if the difference isn't that noticeable, not "you are in Saints country, Saints rule Birmingham, deal with it."
Yes. His outburst is why I ignored him.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:59 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,378,619 times
Looks like I brought up the subject of bring​ing a pro franchise to Birmingham at the right time.

Birmingham mayor has big plans for downtown sports venue | AL.com

Old 04-25-2017, 05:16 PM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
MLS is coming to Sacramento.

But as far as baseball goes, the A's were really hoping for San Jose. Now that the Raiders are leaving (as well as the Warriors going back across the Bay), they'll have Oakland all to themselves.
The A's have always wanted to move to San Jose but were blocked the Giants because of the California State league San Jose Giants being there.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:33 AM
JJG

13,256 posts, read 19,298,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The A's have always wanted to move to San Jose but were blocked the Giants because of the California State league San Jose Giants being there.
Figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
So what are you really expecting to get out of that?

Old 04-26-2017, 08:32 AM

11,787 posts, read 13,486,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Well he had ample opportunity to explain himself when sleepless and I called him out on it. Instead he tried to double down on it with stupid Twitter polls and Facebook posts, nothing about them possibly having the largest percentages, yet not the majority. Saying someone lives in Saints country does not imply that the vast majority of people here cheer for one of the other teams which is what the reality is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
So what are you really expecting to get out of that?
Lol, what any citizen in any city that doesn't currently have a pro team would: A venue and a pro team.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:56 AM

6,653 posts, read 8,416,167 times
Also to clarify, the MLS is only expanding by 4 more teams in the foreseeable future. They've publicly stated that the next 4 expansions will be the last for a very long time. They received 12 application bids from 12 cities, if your city did not submit a bid, then it will not be getting an MLS expansion franchise anytime soon (and by anytime soon I am really referring to the next 20 years or so).

They will select 2 of the expansion cities by the end of 2017 and 2 more at some point in 2018. Those 4 expansion teams will be the last for a long while. So again, if your city did not submit an application bid for an MLS expansion team, it will not be considered and therefore will not be in line for an expansion team for a few decades as this round of expansion marks the last for a long time.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:28 AM
JJG

13,256 posts, read 19,298,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

Lol, what any citizen in any city that doesn't currently have a pro team would: A venue and a pro team.
So you really believe that Birmingham, Alabama has as much of a chance as:

- Kansas City
- Louisville
- Quebec City
- Austin
- Baltimore
- Seattle
- San Diego

All of which either have a major arena in place already or planned/under construction but no NBA or NHL tenants...?

Old 04-26-2017, 06:08 PM

11,787 posts, read 13,486,128 times
You asked and I answered. I dont care about exploring all that other stuff. The mayor here is pursuing NBA, MLS, and the possibility of a farm/spring league being started by the NFL.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:08 PM

4,614 posts, read 2,769,530 times
On one hand, Birmingham sounds implausible for a pro team because it's small and not wealthy or corporate with a stanant population. On the other hand, that all sounds like Memphis.

It has a ton to gain and lose by getting a team. The difference in name recognition would be enormous. It would hit the national media 10x as much overnight. It's unfortunate that most of what we hear about other cities is in the sports pages outside of the top cities, but it's basically true. On the downside, a small, not-wealthy city would typically have to invest hugely to make a team work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or