U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,943,478 times

Advertisements

Can Nashville balance NFL, NHL, and MLS? Even Charlotte only has 2 pros. I think Charlotte would be a great candidate for MLB, fill the vast void between DC and Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM

5,460 posts, read 3,414,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Can Nashville balance NFL, NHL, and MLS? Even Charlotte only has 2 pros. I think Charlotte would be a great candidate for MLB, fill the vast void between DC and Atlanta.
I think you meant 2 Major Leagues and not pros.

Technically, Charlotte has 5 "professional teams" (maybe even more if you include lacrosse and ultimate frisbee!), minor leagues are still considered professional:

Major Leagues

Carolina Panthers (NFL)
Charlotte Hornets (NBA)

Minor Leagues

Charlotte Knights (International League)
Charlotte Checkers (AHL)
Charlotte Independence (USL)

Old 12-07-2017, 12:52 PM

NBA, NFL, MLS, MLB, and NHL are big 5 pro sports. Charlotte has 2 of these and so does Nashville, which is bidding for a third.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
NBA, NFL, MLS, MLB, and NHL are big 5 pro sports. Charlotte has 2 of these and so does Nashville, which is bidding for a third.
NBA, NFL, MLS, MLB and NHL are the big 5 Major League professional sports.

I fixed that for you, minor league baseball, hockey and soccer are all considered "professional", they're not amateurs, where you and I can try out for the team.

I know Charlotte and Nashville both have 2 Major League professional teams each. They also both have various Minor League professional teams as well.

Last edited by cjseliga; 12-07-2017 at 08:16 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 PM

Okay but I dont know anyone that calls it “major leagues”, except for baseball. “Professional football” is what i hear it referred as, not “major league football”, so thats what I said. NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, and MLB. That big 5.

Tbh i really dont see why this is even an argument because we’ve already made the same point.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Tbh i really dont see why this is even an argument because we’ve already made the same point.
I was just trying to point out many people forget that certain minor leagues are also professional as well, I know what you meant, but wanted to remind people that the USL (soccer), AHL (hockey), MiLB (baseball) and I guess even the G League (basketball) all have rosters of people getting paid (some in the millions) to do what they do, even if it's not a "Big 5".

Old 12-08-2017, 05:25 AM

9,475 posts, read 9,660,546 times
Quote:
Okay but I dont know anyone that calls it “major leagues”, except for baseball. “Professional football” is what i hear it referred as, not “major league football”, so thats what I said. NBA, NHL, NFL, MLS, and MLB. That big 5.

For the NHL and MLS there is an extensive professional underclass of leagues. So people call it the Big or Major league.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:56 AM

95 posts, read 60,090 times
I would say san antonio could use a MLB team...the spurs are so popular that I think a baseball team would work really well.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:30 AM

3,889 posts, read 1,639,355 times
NFL - San Antonio & San Diego (if they can work out a stadium deal)
NBA - Seattle & Norfolk/Virginia Beach
MLB - Charlotte & Portland
NHL - Salt Lake City & Austin

Old 12-09-2017, 05:26 AM

21,344 posts, read 30,717,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
NFL - San Antonio & San Diego (if they can work out a stadium deal)
NBA - Seattle & Norfolk/Virginia Beach
MLB - Charlotte & Portland
NHL - Salt Lake City & Austin
The NFL in San Antonio would never happen with Jerry Jones alive and hopefully the NFL has learned it's lesson with further NFL expansion in CA given the attendance issues. If St Louis weren't so over the NFL at this point would say it's the more likely option. Otherwise in my opinion Portland in the NFC and and Raleigh in the AFC would make the most sense in terms of generating local rivalries.

In terms of the NBA Seattle seems a done deal but think a city like Louisville could be a good option and provide more of a consistent fan base in hoops-crazy Kentucky versus what is a very transient Hampton Roads area in VA due to the huge military presence.

The MLB expansion cities mentioned seem likely in my opinion if ownership groups can be formed.

I don't get the NHL picks at all as neither has any real connection to hockey. A resurgent city like Cincinnati or even Cleveland would make sense, especially with the tenuous situation of the Columbus franchise. Indianapolis would also fill in a missing chunk of the hockey loving Midwest, as well as Milwaukee or even Kansas City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or