U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 12:06 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,502,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous to consider that the Carolinas can only willingly support one NFL team considering the combined population exceeds both Ohio and Pennsylvania which have two NFL teams each plus what amounts to dwindling economies/populations overall, versus North Carolina and South Carolina which are among the top several states in growth.

This is a strange idea... pro sports teams are not about states, they are about metro areas. It makes no difference that the combined population of North and South Carolina exceeds that of Pennsylvania's. PA has two major-league metro areas, and the Carolinas only have one. By the way, the combined area of the Carolinas is over 86,000 sq miles, while PA is only 46,000. So I have no idea why anyone would compare the populations of such different sized areas as if they were the same.

Last edited by _Buster; 12-14-2017 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 12:25 PM

57,436 posts, read 81,908,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
What's your point? Besides Austin and VA tidewater, what are the largest metro markets without pro sports? The answer is Louisville. Louisville as large or is larger than several pro markets. Louisville's TV DMA is smaller than its metro rank as it is literally cut in half by encroaching TV markets from Lexington and Cincinnati....two more metros with no NBA.

The Louisville-Lexington corridor has well over 2 million people separated by under 70 miles in arguably the most basketball crazed state in the world. Only IN and NC can even be mentioned in the same category. So, there are 4.5 million people in a state without a pro team to call their own. I find it simply ludicrous and a testament to decades of failed leadership in Louisville...but that is starting to change.
Actually, the Kentucky Colonels were one of the most stable franchises in the old ABA and played their games primarily at Freedom Hall. Where the leadership may have dropped the ball is when the ABA broke up, the Colonels didn’t get picked up by the NBA like the Nets, Pacers, Spurs and Nuggets did in 1976.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:55 PM

6,644 posts, read 13,863,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Kentucky Colonels were one of the most stable franchises in the old ABA and played their games primarily at Freedom Hall. Where the leadership may have dropped the ball is when the ABA broke up, the Colonels didnít get picked up by the NBA like the Nets, Pacers, Spurs and Nuggets did in 1976.
yes the colonols were invited to the NBA. The owner was cheap and not visionary.

But Louisville had the Rockets and especially Hornets in the bag.
Just today, new information has surfaced how UofL and Pitino blocked the NBA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...ville.amp.html

I canít say more but there is a huge behind the scenes effort for NBA to Louisville. This will be a huge story as Louisville and Seattle vie for 2020 expansion teams in East and West and as the NFL declines.

Old 12-14-2017, 07:58 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,095,901 times
Quote:
yes the colonols were invited to the NBA. The owner was cheap and not visionary.

But Louisville had the Rockets and especially Hornets in the bag.
Just today, new information has surfaced how UofL and Pitino blocked the NBA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndica...ville.amp.html

I canít say more but there is a huge behind the scenes effort for NBA to Louisville. This will be a huge story as Louisville and Seattle vie for 2020 expansion teams in East and West and as the NFL declines.
Rockets? I don't think there was a chance they would leave Houston.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 PM

4,616 posts, read 2,779,158 times
Quote:
What's your point? Besides Austin and VA tidewater, what are the largest metro markets without pro sports? The answer is Louisville. Louisville as large or is larger than several pro markets. Louisville's TV DMA is smaller than its metro rank as it is literally cut in half by encroaching TV markets from Lexington and Cincinnati....two more metros with no NBA.
I have no opinion on Louisville. Just wondering why you started out with irrelevant information.

It looks like it's the #35 city measured by CSA. It would be small by any league's standards, but it wouldn't be the smallest.

Old 12-15-2017, 01:01 AM

5,802 posts, read 3,865,202 times
Seattle vs. Louisville for an NBA expansion team? Anyone thinking this is an even battle would be sadly mistaken. Seattle would get it in an instant. But not sure expansion is happening in the NBA. More likely NHL will expand before the NBA. But Seattle will continue to be a major landing strip for any NBA team moving.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM

6,644 posts, read 13,863,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle vs. Louisville for an NBA expansion team? Anyone thinking this is an even battle would be sadly mistaken. Seattle would get it in an instant. But not sure expansion is happening in the NBA. More likely NHL will expand before the NBA. But Seattle will continue to be a major landing strip for any NBA team moving.
Seattle will NOT get a team without a team on the east coast. Yes of course Seattle will get a team first, but remember Louisville is the 35th largest CSA in a state with almost 4.5 million people and not a single pro team. Anyone with even a remedial understanding of the NBA knows this. You cannot have an odd number of teams.

Add to that 2+ million on the Ohio side of Cincy and another 300K in Louisville's immediate Indiana burbs, and this is one of the highest population centers per capita without a team in any pro sport.

I don't get how people can think a metro like Buffalo with a smaller metro population can support two pro teams and Louisville cannot support one, with Louisville growing in every way much faster? Also, there's not a basketball crazier region than KY/IN, not even NC.

And you guys saw it from 2006...the Hornets were SIGNED to move to Louisville but Pitino, the master deceiver, blocked it last minute. He literally thought he owned the entire city of Louisville and got away with it.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?...sville.226438/

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23017...s-fell-through

The Hornets move was much further advanced and like I said, contract signed....the Rockets likely used Louisville as a negotiating tool for a new arena, but they even visited the city. The book Airball by J Bruce Miller explains Louisville's 3 decades of fumbling to get an NBA team (they had a ABA team along with Pacers, Spurs, etc, but the nearly billionaire bourbon owner folded the team over a measly entry fee of like 50 grand)

Old 12-15-2017, 07:55 PM

5,470 posts, read 3,422,815 times
Quote:
Seattle will NOT get a team without a team on the east coast. Yes of course Seattle will get a team first, but remember Louisville is the 35th largest CSA in a state with almost 4.5 million people and not a single pro team. Anyone with even a remedial understanding of the NBA knows this. You cannot have an odd number of teams.

Add to that 2+ million on the Ohio side of Cincy and another 300K in Louisville's immediate Indiana burbs, and this is one of the highest population centers per capita without a team in any pro sport.
I wouldn't necessarily use state population numbers unless you are talking about the NFL, where most games are on Sunday afternoons @ 1PM and there's only 8 home games. If Louisville does get an NBA team, will there be season ticket holders from Lexington, Northern KY/Cincinnati and Southern Indiana, probably, but most of the fans will be in the immediate Louisville Metroplex.

Remember the NBA is 41 home games with maybe 40% on them on Monday through Thursday nights, and people usually have work the next day. Then you have to figure out a schedule with sharing the YUM Center with Louisville, and I realize the old ABA team did share Freedom Hall with the Cardinals in the past, but which team has priority for weekend games?

While I agree KY/IN is a basketball hotbed, I think putting an NBA team in Louisville, would be similar to wanting to put an NBA team in the Triangle, if there were no NHL already there and no NBA team in Charlotte, it just doesn't make sense, since the Triangle is the epicenter of college basketball.

And I wouldn't necessarily agree that when Seattle gets a new NBA team, there has to be a new team in the East to balance it (although it is more than likely), because they can just shift either Minnesota or Memphis or New Orleans to the east.

Oh and Kentucky does have professional teams, the Lexington Legends (South Atlantic League), Bowling Green Hot Rods (Midwest League), Louisville Bats (International League) and Louisville City FC (USL) are all pro teams, just not major league!

Last edited by cjseliga; 12-15-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 PM

5,802 posts, read 3,865,202 times
I definitely understand the balance needed in professional leagues. That is a no-brainer. My main point is the NBA is itching to get back to Seattle, as it is the largest market without an NBA team. The days of "Seattle doesn't deserve an NBA team" are gone. Yes, there were mistakes made on both sides of the Sonics demise, from Seattle, and from the NBA. But that is now ancient history. The NBA needs Seattle, there is little doubt.

Old 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM
JJG

13,257 posts, read 19,308,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No way San Antonio gets a team in a state largely owned by the Cowboys.
San Antonio is the most likely city to get an NFL team next, especially with what happened with San Diego and St. Louis, Cowboys or not... and I say that as a Cowboy fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or