U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-19-2017, 08:31 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,380,048 times
Reputation: 1224

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is not TECHINIALLY east coast but its in the eastern time zone, so its a clear eastern conference team.

How people think that the largest metro without a team after Austin (maybe if you count VA tidewater as one) cannot support a team is literally beyond belief. These people have NO IDEA how big bball is in KY. They've never seen the Yum, which beats NBA arenas in 80% of all cities....bigger, nicer, sleeker, more bars, etc.

And YES, teams are regional. The Indiana Pacers are a great example and why they take the name of the state.


A team with a KY name, particular if they have a couple UofK players will draw from hundreds of miles, especially for Cavs, Lakers, Spurs, etc. Also for any games featuring players from UofL, UofK. And just like a couple thousand fans drive up for Cincinnati Reds for big games, the same amount will come from Lexington, and NKY if not Cincinnati itself.


Buster also didn't mention that Louisville is the 35th largest CSA and has 28 hotels under construction at present. We have built more tourist attractions with bourbon in the last 3 years than any city outside the coasts. If you haven't been to Louisville or it's been awhile, it will shock you with its vitality all around the core.
You obviously don't know how pro sports leagues operate. They don't care about how big the CSA is or the number of hotels being built or even how "vibrant" downtown is. Yes Louisville and the state of Kentucky are a basketball hotbed, but it's a college basketball hotbed and that puts the city at a disadvantage vs places like Austin, Hampton Roads, Seattle and even Birmingham (which is hosting a NBA preseason game in 2018) that are not and a NBA franchise in those cities would not have to compete with a major college basketball program for attention and $$$.

Cities like Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, etc would be better served by a NBA D-league team to build a potential fan base before landing a franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-19-2017, 09:45 AM
 
9,483 posts, read 9,668,075 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
You obviously don't know how pro sports leagues operate. They don't care about how big the CSA is or the number of hotels being built or even how "vibrant" downtown is. Yes Louisville and the state of Kentucky are a basketball hotbed, but it's a college basketball hotbed and that puts the city at a disadvantage vs places like Austin, Hampton Roads, Seattle and even Birmingham (which is hosting a NBA preseason game in 2018) that are not and a NBA franchise in those cities would not have to compete with a major college basketball program for attention and $$$.

Cities like Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, etc would be better served by a NBA D-league team to build a potential fan base before landing a franchise.
I think the NBA is more a threat to Louisville as opposed to Louisville being a threat to the NBA.

If you look at The Twin Cities when the Pro leagues started getting established it ate into the U of M fanbase. (Particularly obvious in Hockey because it's newer) which is why Minneapolis/St Paul isn't like Columbus or Austin when it comes to Cellege Football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,380,048 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think the NBA is more a threat to Louisville as opposed to Louisville being a threat to the NBA.

If you look at The Twin Cities when the Pro leagues started getting established it ate into the U of M fanbase. (Particularly obvious in Hockey because it's newer) which is why Minneapolis/St Paul isn't like Columbus or Austin when it comes to Cellege Football.
But has Minnesota ever been a consistent major championship college basketball or football program with a loyal or strong fanbase? No, not at least in my lifetime (I'm 37).

Both Louisville and Kentucky are both major championship college basketball programs with loyal fanbases that an NBA franchise would have a hard time competing against. Add to that there is a NBA franchise within a short drive away in Indianapolis.

If being a hotbed for a particular sport was the only criteria for landing a pro franchise, then a place like Birmingham would of had an NFL franchise long before Charlotte or Jacksonville for example.


Oh and it was just announced that Nashville will be getting an MLS franchise.

Last edited by sleepless in Bham; 12-19-2017 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 01:18 PM
 
9,483 posts, read 9,668,075 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
But has Minnesota ever been a consistent major championship college basketball or football program with a loyal or strong fanbase? No, not at least in my lifetime (I'm 37).

Both Louisville and Kentucky are both major championship college basketball programs with loyal fanbases that an NBA franchise would have a hard time competing against. Add to that there is a NBA franchise within a short drive away in Indianapolis.

If being a hotbed for a particular sport was the only criteria for landing a pro franchise, then a place like Birmingham would of had an NFL franchise long before Charlotte or Jacksonville for example.


Oh and it was just announced that Nashville will be getting an MLS franchise.
If you count Hockey then yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2017, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, Commonwealth of Virginia
1,609 posts, read 1,133,554 times
Reputation: 1913
Congrats to Nashville on getting MLS! MLS Announces Nashville Event Where it's Expected to Accept Expansion Bid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 12:33 AM
 
6,644 posts, read 13,861,532 times
Reputation: 3074
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
You obviously don't know how pro sports leagues operate. They don't care about how big the CSA is or the number of hotels being built or even how "vibrant" downtown is. Yes Louisville and the state of Kentucky are a basketball hotbed, but it's a college basketball hotbed and that puts the city at a disadvantage vs places like Austin, Hampton Roads, Seattle and even Birmingham (which is hosting a NBA preseason game in 2018) that are not and a NBA franchise in those cities would not have to compete with a major college basketball program for attention and $$$.

Cities like Louisville, Birmingham, Richmond, etc would be better served by a NBA D-league team to build a potential fan base before landing a franchise.
Birmingham? You do know Louisville and Lexington have hosted NBA preseason games every year for basically 5 years or so? Many have sold out in both cities.


http://www.wdrb.com/story/26706392/sold-out-crowd-for-first-nba-pre-season-game-at-the-kfc-yum-center | URL Wiki

I will bet my life savings Birmingham cannot outdraw Louisville's sell out crowd for exhibitions like the one in 2014.... 19,000 people!

Louisville/Lexington corridor is massively bigger, wealthier, and more interested in basketball than B'Ham. We are talking about 2 million people in the Louisville/Lexington region. Downtown to downtown, they are only 70 miles, and have about a dozen colleges between them. More growth, more everything.

Louisville is so far ahead of Birmingham on this, its not even funny. Besides, NBA preseason has nothing to do with who will get teams.

Seattle will get the team first. Austin doesn't have much interest. For cities without the team, most think Louisville bests the VA tidewater as its core city is bigger, but VA Tidewater has a nice sized metro area. Louisville also has the arena ready now, but they are building one in VA.

For cities without pro teams, if the NBA expands, most pundits agree its Seattle first, then Louisville or possibly VA.

Does Birmingham have the advanced grassroots and business efforts of Louisville? No way:

https://www.facebook.com/nba2lou/


Even Kevin Garnett would expand in Louisville and Seattle or Vancouver. I've never seen almost anyone mention Alabama:

http://www.complex.com/sports/2017/1...-21-guest-list

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-20-2017 at 12:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,380,048 times
Reputation: 1224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Birmingham? You do know Louisville and Lexington have hosted NBA preseason games every year for basically 5 years or so? Many have sold out in both cities.


http://www.wdrb.com/story/26706392/sold-out-crowd-for-first-nba-pre-season-game-at-the-kfc-yum-center | URL Wiki

I will bet my life savings Birmingham cannot outdraw Louisville's sell out crowd for exhibitions like the one in 2014.... 19,000 people!

Louisville/Lexington corridor is massively bigger, wealthier, and more interested in basketball than B'Ham. We are talking about 2 million people in the Louisville/Lexington region. Downtown to downtown, they are only 70 miles, and have about a dozen colleges between them. More growth, more everything.

Louisville is so far ahead of Birmingham on this, its not even funny. Besides, NBA preseason has nothing to do with who will get teams.

Seattle will get the team first. Austin doesn't have much interest. For cities without the team, most think Louisville bests the VA tidewater as its core city is bigger, but VA Tidewater has a nice sized metro area. Louisville also has the arena ready now, but they are building one in VA.

For cities without pro teams, if the NBA expands, most pundits agree its Seattle first, then Louisville or possibly VA.

Does Birmingham have the advanced grassroots and business efforts of Louisville? No way:

https://www.facebook.com/nba2lou/




Even Kevin Garnett would expand in Louisville and Seattle or Vancouver. I've never seen almost anyone mention Alabama:

Kevin Garnett on Talking Trash to Michael Jordan and Thursday's Legendary 'Area 21' Guest List | Complex
I know the mentioning of Birmingham gets you riled up for whatever reason, but yea imo Birmingham has a better chance of landing a NBA franchise for the reasons I've already mentioned in previous post along with Birmingham being a top 50 tv market (1.6-1.8 million people), which Louisville is not btw. Bottom line the NBA isn't coming to either city in the near future. Seattle, Hampton Roads, and Kansas City are ahead of both cities at this point.

Oh and btw 2 million people in a 70 mile corridor isn't that impressive, and it means nothing when it comes to trying to land any major league franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 04:26 PM
 
Location: East Tennessee and Atlanta
3,868 posts, read 8,879,774 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Yeah, such great news for the city! Now that Nashville adds their 3rd pro team (after the NFL Titans and NHL Predators), my guess is in 3-5 years or so, MLB may come knockin' too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 08:02 PM
 
4,616 posts, read 2,777,564 times
Reputation: 4186
Two million is pretty light in a 70-mile corridor by NBA standards. Especially since the home city would be relied on much more heavily and the second city would attend far less often.

How many people would go 70 miles, or 50, on a weeknight just for a game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 PM
 
Location: WA Desert, Seattle native
5,797 posts, read 3,861,828 times
Reputation: 4341
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Yeah, such great news for the city! Now that Nashville adds their 3rd pro team (after the NFL Titans and NHL Predators), my guess is in 3-5 years or so, MLB may come knockin' too....
Congrats to Nashville with the MLS. The league is definitely growing, but is only successful in a handfull of cities.

MLB? Don't get your hopes up. MLB is NOT in any type of expansion mode. And team moves are very rare in the majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top