U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2017, 04:58 AM

18,923 posts, read 7,045,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
As much as I hate to say it, New York City could probably support another team better than any city that currently has none.
I think instead that the Islanders or the Devil's should move to Houston. NYC has 3 NHL teams, Houston is the 4th biggest city and 6th biggest metro in the country and has no NHL team
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 05:41 AM

4,670 posts, read 1,807,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I think instead that the Islanders or the Devil's should move to Houston. NYC has 3 NHL teams, Houston is the 4th biggest city and 6th biggest metro in the country and has no NHL team
Houston's MLB team has never drawn well, and the city lost its NFL franchise. The NHL draws best in markets where people grew up playing hockey as kids and know how to skate, and know the game well.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:09 AM

9,475 posts, read 9,657,639 times
Quote:
Houston's MLB team has never drawn well, and the city lost its NFL franchise. The NHL draws best in markets where people grew up playing hockey as kids and know how to skate, and know the game well.
The thing is the NHL has almost always preceded hockey as a recreational sport in all markets except Boston, Buffalo, Detroit and Minneapolis/St Paul.

In terms of Hockey Philly in 1967 wasn't that different than Nashville in 1997. Same with mainstays like Washington or even Pittsburgh.

Old 12-22-2017, 07:44 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,378,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Now you backpedal and resort to name calling. Worry about competition with Knoxville, not Louisville. Youíve produced zero data to prove Birmingham is what you say it is. And you live in ALABAMA and are trying to make fun of Kentucky. Itís beyond laughable.

Birminghamís TV market is top 50 just like Louisville. Louisville and Lexington are viewed as one TV market for sports. You DO understand Birminghamís TV DMA is overinflated by geographic isolation donít you?
Louisville is a larger city, metro, csa, has more growth from population to commercial to GDP. Louisville is so close to other cities that itís TV market is split up.

Almost every article about NBA mentions Louisville. Every single one and most say its the choice after Seattle. You want Birmingham to compare to cities well ahead of it, and no one is buying it. You spew venom but zero data.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-the-plan/amp/

The Hornets were SIGNED to move to Louisville! Birmingham getting a pro team is a pipe dream; donít lump Louisville with them. The cities compare in some ways yes but when it comes to sports development Louisville is in a different league. Itís laughable you call me a booster when youíre the biggest.
Are you mad because I called you a homer? Don't know why because you have proven time and time again that is what you are. Birmingham and Louisville are in the same tier most people would agree with me on that. You trying to make it something it's not is quite pathetic on your part.

How can Louisville and Lexington view as one market for sports? That makes no sense seeing that they are TWO SEPARATE MEDIA MARKETS lol. Louisville is not quite a top 50 tv market (ranked #52) while Birmingham is (ranked #44). Also how is Birmingham's market so isolated when you have Huntsville, Montgomery, Atlanta close by. Not only you don't know how pro sports leagues work, its obvious you don't know how to read a tv market map either. Maybe Birmingham can claim Huntsville and Montgomery in its "sports media market" haha.

You can **** out 100 articles about Louisville getting an NBA team and how the Hornets were signed to come there (that's a joke) but guess what it doesn't have one, nor will it likely not get one with better candidates for NBA franchises out there, and yes that includes Birmingham.

Don't know why you insist on arguing with me about this. It's like you are personally insulted when someone points out something about Louisville you don't like. It must really suck to be an overzealous booster.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Lost AN NFL Franchise, but then got a new one 5 years later which they still have....

And the Sharks, Kings and Lightning all do quite well for warm weather teams in terms of attendance and performance

Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
You have not heard of the Texans, Houston's NFL team?

Old 12-22-2017, 10:58 AM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Lost AN NFL Franchise, but then got a new one 5 years later which they still have....

And the Sharks, Kings and Lightning all do quite well for warm weather teams in terms of attendance and performance
The Los Angeles metro area supports 2 NHL teams, the Kings and the Ducks. I am not only a fan of the game but I also played hockey for several years. Minor league and youth hockey is pretty big in Southern California.

The game is changing with more players coming from the US, even the warm weather states. Who would have thought that one of the top NHL draft picks would be from Scottsdale Arizona.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:07 AM

424 posts, read 371,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
One could make an argument that the Richmond to Tidewater corridor could easily support a team. Poor leadership I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
They don't really see themselves as one metro, however. Richmond and Hampton Roads have completely different cultures, vibes and people. I think Richmond and Nova, and Hampton Roads and Nova are closer in culture, to be honest.
There's a poor sense of regionalism in both metros -- in HR you have all the cities competing against each other, while in RVA it's the city vs. the counties. Perhaps it's to be expected, given the state's independent city setup (in the case of Richmond). With each metro area being relatively slow to upgrade its arena facilities due to internal politics, there's no chance that they'd be able to come together on anything like a team.

Southside Hampton Roads has the best chance, but the Virginia Beach arena plans fell through last month, leaving a potential drill-down expansion of the Scope in Norfolk as the only extant plan for making an arena large enough for NBA (or NHL) in VA.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The Los Angeles metro area supports 2 NHL teams, the Kings and the Ducks. I am not only a fan of the game but I also played hockey for several years. Minor league and youth hockey is pretty big in Southern California.

The game is changing with more players coming from the US, even the warm weather states. Who would have thought that one of the top NHL draft picks would be from Scottsdale Arizona.
I didn't mention the Ducks because the three I mentioned have higher attendance and bigger fan bases

Old 12-22-2017, 05:48 PM

4,670 posts, read 1,807,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You have not heard of the Texans, Houston's NFL team?
You have not heard of the Oilers, the one I referenced that they lost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or