U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 02:31 PM

467 posts, read 145,483 times

Advertisements

The Milwaukee market is a big part of the reason the Packers can stay viable. If Green Bay were the largest market in Wisconsin, the team wouldn't be there any more.

Also, NHL to Milwaukee is the lowest of low hanging fruit. It's crazy to me that there isn't a bigger push for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:34 PM

2,168 posts, read 1,084,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
The Milwaukee market is a big part of the reason the Packers can stay viable. If Green Bay were the largest market in Wisconsin, the team wouldn't be there any more.

Also, NHL to Milwaukee is the lowest of low hanging fruit. It's crazy to me that there isn't a bigger push for this.
Are you kidding me? This entire state loves the Packers! Lambeau Field is legendary, but success of the Pack, doesn't depend on Green Bay.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM

18,700 posts, read 27,257,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
The Austin City-Council voted 7-4 in favor of allowing Anthony Precourt build an MLS grade soccer specific stadium in the Domain area of Austin on a site that is referred to as McKalla Place.

The stadium will be privately financed with Precourt footing all of the costs. Precourt has acquired the loans from JP Morgan Chase to move forward on the site. The Columbus Crew will be leaving Columbus for Austin and will likely change their name once getting to their new city (MLS teams always change their name when they relocate).

https://www.tampabay.com/city-counci...8c52419507df3a

With MLS to Austin, that underscores the city's first professional sports team in one of the Big 5 sports leagues of NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB, and MLS.
This absolutely sucks for Columbus. One of the better markets for the sport the last 10-20 years and the team just ups and leaves. If it is one thing I dislike about the franchise model of American sports, it's this one.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Are you kidding me? This entire state loves the Packers! Lambeau Field is legendary, but success of the Pack, doesn't depend on Green Bay.
You're making my point. The entire state loves the team, including the state's largest metro area where the team happens not to be located. Over 1/3rd of Wisconsin (population wise) is the Milwaukee metro.

If Wisconsin were the size of Iowa, it wouldn't have an NFL team in the modern day. But Wisconsin isn't the size of Iowa, mostly because of housing a market the size of Milwaukee.

When you're judging pro sports teams and markets, the Packers can exist because the state has a pro-sized media market. They play the games in Green Bay, but having the population of Milwaukee be 100% behind your team is what makes it work.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowanFarmer View Post
You're making my point. The entire state loves the team, including the state's largest metro area where the team happens not to be located. Over 1/3rd of Wisconsin (population wise) is the Milwaukee metro.

If Wisconsin were the size of Iowa, it wouldn't have an NFL team in the modern day. But Wisconsin isn't the size of Iowa, mostly because of housing a market the size of Milwaukee.

When you're judging pro sports teams and markets, the Packers can exist because the state has a pro-sized media market. They play the games in Green Bay, but having the population of Milwaukee be 100% behind your team is what makes it work.
Wisconsin also has Madison, which is almost the size of Des Moines (MSA population). So, there's that, too.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Wisconsin also has Madison, which is almost the size of Des Moines (MSA population). So, there's that, too.
If Madison were the state's largest city, I don't think there would still be an NFL team in Wisconsin.

I think the state would passionately support it, fill the stands, and be glued to it, but there seems to be a certain critical mass the NFL needs. I think there are a few places that could support the NFL from a ticket sales stand point that will never get that shot because they don't provide enough of a TV market. Des Moines/Iowa, OKC/Tulsa/Oklahoma, and Omaha/Lincoln/Nebraska are few off the top of my head.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:59 PM

6,653 posts, read 8,416,167 times
NBA:
- After years of contemplating two expansion teams, nothing has moved forward nor is imminent in moving forward. Indicators are that the NBA will not be expanding for a very long time. So the current slate of 30 teams is what it will be for a long time, likely over the next decade and a half.

NHL:
- Seattle has been granted an expansion team, the 32nd team of the NHL and finally will be able to even the two conferences. They will be named the Seattle Storm.

- There is a possibility that the NHL relocates a team or two in the coming years, expect Houston to acquire one of them as they have had discussions with NHL already and have the arena and ownership interest already in place for a relocating team.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/...air-arena.html

NFL:
- No expansions are imminent nor being considered at this time and likely will not for a very long time.

MLB:
- Rumblings of two expansion teams on the horizon have been underway for a number of years now, including speculation fueled by the commissioner himself who acknowledged that once the Oakland Athletics and Tampa Bay Rays stadium situation is worked out in their current markets that expansion will be the next agenda item on the list to tackle. The commissioner is a major advocate of Montreal and Portland getting the next two teams but he listed 4 other possible cities as well, should the case of Montreal and Portland's bids falling through occur there are back up expansion targets planned out.

https://deadspin.com/rob-manfred-say...ote-1827712616

MLS:
- Miami was awarded one of the original 24 teams but still has yet to start construction on the stadium, issues with which have just now been resolved so the team will move ahead years after the initial join date was planned.

- The MLS decided to expand to 28 total teams, the 24 that concluded with Miami being awarded a franchise and 4 additional expansion teams to come after that.

- Nashville and Cincinnati were awarded expansion team #25 and #26.

- The Columbus Crew will be relocating to Austin and will be changing their name upon arrival into their new city. (MLS has already trademarked two potential names for the team in Austin)

- 2 more expansion slots remain and are expected to be a fierce competition between 10-12 markets vying for just 2 teams (i.e. Phoenix, Detroit, San Diego, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Sacramento, Charlotte, Raleigh, Louisville, Saint Louis, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas, so on and so forth).

- The MLS will decide the remaining 2 expansion locations likely next year (2019). However, San Antonio can effectively be removed from the list due to Austin's acquisition of an MLS team.

https://mlsmultiplex.com/2018/08/14/...-pushing-hard/

Old 08-15-2018, 07:20 PM

6,393 posts, read 7,066,298 times
Quote:
I don't think you understood him. He said if Green Bay was already the largest city...so no Madison and no Milwaukee. It was a pretty obvious statement but I guess the point was to stress that GB couldn't support the team by itself.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I don't think you understood him. He said if Green Bay was already the largest city...so no Madison and no Milwaukee. It was a pretty obvious statement but I guess the point was to stress that GB couldn't support the team by itself.
I know that, and that's not what I took from it. I said the entire state is behind the Packers, and what I was getting at, was that Milwaukee could support 3 major league teams, the two they have, AND the Packers.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Yup. I was basically making the point that Milwaukee is a de facto NFL market, via Green Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or