U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 AM

57,380 posts, read 81,815,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Because it's not big enough and Green Bay was an NFL pioneer and never would have made it otherwise. The chopped up Raleigh-Durham CSA has a total of over 2.7 million people which exceeds Charlotte and Nashville's MSAs in population and an 8-year growth rate hovering at 20%, not to mention one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country which is key to a sport where attendance costs are so high. RDU is definitely on the short end of the stick with just one major sports franchise currently (Carolina Hurricanes) and would be an ideal candidate for MLB or the NFL.
What I think what may “hurt” the Raleigh-Durham area is that it is such a big major college sports area and has multiple programs in that regard. With that said, I could see MLB being a bigger draw there due to no summer sports competition versus the NFL, where they would have to compete with 3 ACC Football programs in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 05:52 AM

3,117 posts, read 962,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The White Sox aren't moving, at least any time soon. The team's deal with the city, in which they essentially live at their stadium rent free, doesn't expire until 2030. I have a very good feeling Vegas will already have an MLB team by then, same with Portland. Not only that, the MLB is long overdue for expansion, which means two cities get teams without moving any other team.

Not only that, only a complete fool of an owner would move a team from a 9.5 million media market to a 2 something million city that has zero baseball history. The Sox have played in Chicago longer than over half of the current MLB teams have existed. They aren't going anywhere.

When the Sox win, they sell out the stadium. Not every team can claim that, even when they win. What exactly makes you think Portland or Nashville would appreciate the White Sox more than Chicago, where people already have well established roots with the team / franchise, some for generations??

You also say "screw TV market size". TV deals are where the money is made, not paid attendance, contrary to popular belief. Not only that, merchandise as well. Either way, the idea that Vegas, Charlotte, or wherever else would bring out more physical attendance than in Chicago is nothing other than pure speculation.

Now the Rays, A's, Marlins, Padres, Indians, Mariners, Angels..... those all are a different story.
Yeah I was probably foolish to throw the White Sox out there as a relocation. They do have a great history, (loved The Big Hurt as a kid and they go back long before that). I just thought it was Cubs country and moving the Sox would strengthen the Cubs support even more. Also you don’t see Chicago with two pro teams in one sport outside baseball.

I think MLB in Vegas would fit well, but would it take an expansion to go there? MLB is overly hesitant to relocate franchises. It’s sad seeing the Rays being a top team in the league and not being able to draw 10,000 fans many nights.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 AM

8,152 posts, read 16,209,674 times
This thread is more than four years old, but I'll keep posting as long as it keeps coming up. Quebec City needs an NHL team again.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:16 AM

18,923 posts, read 7,045,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This thread is more than four years old, but I'll keep posting as long as it keeps coming up. Quebec City needs an NHL team again.
Supposedly, they were the next in line for NHL expansion after Las Vegas, but the team was awarded to Seattle instead for some reason

Old 06-03-2019, 09:31 AM

9,683 posts, read 13,598,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Seattle jumps out as a city that could use an NHL and NBA team. The Seattle Sonics leaving was a crying shame.

LA could also use an NFL team. It's Amazing to me that Jacksonville has a team but LA doesn't.

I do think the Hampton Roads area could use a team (NBA jumps out the most). I think that's a big enough region to support major league sports. My concern would be that the Military population is transient and that may not bode well for drawing new fans (transient people allegedly already support teams). Richmond could probably support a team too, but I think the Hampton Roads area is a more appealing option due to the size and relatively rapid growth.

I'm not as sold on Las Vegas. For starters, the metro area is pretty small. Second, it would be competing with a lot of entertainment options.

Austin might be able to, but I'm not sure what. It's a big enough city to support a team on paper, but it's also very much a college sports town. I don't know if an NFL or NBA franchise (or even an MLB franchise) could compete with Texas sports.
Well now they do

Old 06-03-2019, 11:50 AM

1,510 posts, read 908,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Yeah I was probably foolish to throw the White Sox out there as a relocation. They do have a great history, (loved The Big Hurt as a kid and they go back long before that). I just thought it was Cubs country and moving the Sox would strengthen the Cubs support even more. Also you don’t see Chicago with two pro teams in one sport outside baseball.

I think MLB in Vegas would fit well, but would it take an expansion to go there? MLB is overly hesitant to relocate franchises. It’s sad seeing the Rays being a top team in the league and not being able to draw 10,000 fans many nights.
Eh, I don't think that would be the case. Most White Sox fans hate the Cubs with a burning passion, and if the Sox left/ceased to exist, they would probably just become Brewers or Cardinals fans (Cubs NL rivals). Either that, or they'd stop caring about baseball completely. The Cubs already have a mega fanbase even outside Chicago just like the Red Sox and Yankees, I don't think they need more IMO. The Cubs stand for just about everything White Sox fans hate.

I think NBA and even NFL should go to Vegas before the MLB goes there. MLB seasons have 81 home games, which is a long season with a lot of games. While Vegas has certainly grown in population, it's still an small market tv/fan base much alike to Kansas City, Milwaukee, and Cleveland. Not only that, many people there aren't even there the whole year, as it's more of a touristy/vacationy market, not so much a permanent resident kind of a place. That, and people in Vegas already have roots to other teams, especially California teams like the Giants, Dodgers, Padres, Angels, D-Backs, etc. It would be difficult to build up a fan base when such loyalties exist. I'm not saying MLB in Vegas wouldn't work, especially since I believe that place is only going to grow larger and larger. All I'm saying is there are some hurdles in place.

I think moving one of the (failed) Florida teams to Vegas would be a better idea if any team must move. However, I definitely would prefer expansion before any movement. The last expansion was in '98, and even though a lot of people are against it for good reasons, I still think it's overdue at this point, and that it wouldn't hurt the MLB in any significant way.

MLB in Florida has truly been depressing, I will agree with you there. I think the Marlins should just go back to being the "Florida Marlins", and the Rays should be moved to somewhere else. Florida does not want two MLB teams, at least right now it seems.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM

21,337 posts, read 30,709,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What I think what may “hurt” the Raleigh-Durham area is that it is such a big major college sports area and has multiple programs in that regard. With that said, I could see MLB being a bigger draw there due to no summer sports competition versus the NFL, where they would have to compete with 3 ACC Football programs in the area.
The ACC football programs would have little to any influence over NFL attendance. There are 2.7 million residents in the area and the majority have no allegiances to any of the three universities given the high percentage of transplants in the area. With similar populations the Cincinnati and Kansas City MSAs seemingly have no issue in terms of major college programs competing against their NFL franchises.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:12 PM

3,001 posts, read 3,789,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Supposedly, they were the next in line for NHL expansion after Las Vegas, but the team was awarded to Seattle instead for some reason
The team was awarded to Seattle because Bettman said that he wanted the league balanced with 16 teams in each conference. This issue was raised when Las Vegas got their team. Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 15 in the West.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:38 AM

209 posts, read 51,161 times
Quote:
The chopped up Raleigh-Durham CSA has a total of over 2.7 million people which exceeds Charlotte and Nashville's MSAs
Sports teams don't just look at MSA or CSAs, but broader markets and on that front, Charlotte is a lot bigger.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 AM

1,181 posts, read 1,468,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_P View Post
Sports teams don't just look at MSA or CSAs, but broader markets and on that front, Charlotte is a lot bigger.

Precisely. For instance, the Packers thrive in Green Bay because it's not just supported by Green Bay, in actuality it represents an entire state, and reaches well beyond the borders of WI. In fact, it has one of the largest followings of any professional sports franchise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or