Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

Cities that could use a professional sports team in NBA, MLS, MLB, NFL, NHL.

Which cities that lack a team in any of the 5 above professional leagues could stand to gain a team?

Support your reasoning, I guess, by supporting evidence of why that sport would be popular there or what the attendance figure would be like.

This thread is for all cities by the way, from as large as New York to as tiny as where ever is last in the continent (yes, thread is about North America). Obviously market size would be a deterrent for small cities but that not-withstanding all places are included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 01:26 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Albuquerque, NM
City: 545,000 MSA: 900,000 CSA: 1.1million

It could certainly support a major league franchise.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
You and I have talked about this at length, but I'll put everyone at speed here:

I'm not a big believer in 2 team markets for any sport given how mobile American society is and the lack of loyalty to a "neighborhood" like you see in European cities. There always IS a lead team that gets all the attention and resources and a junior team that, no matter how often they win, will never achieve the same fame as the primary team.

That isn't to say that a 2nd team in a market isn't profitable, because as the sale of the Clippers and Nets have shown, they can be. But in terms of actual fandom and fanbases, and not "projected media viewership", not even close. The Knicks haven't won anything since America was in Vietnam, while the Nets were perennial Finals contenders in the early 2000s, but yet this is what's going on at Nets playoff games:

If The Nets Play A Playoff Game In Brooklyn, And No One Is Around To See It, Did The Nets Actually Play A Playoff Game In Brooklyn? - Barstool Sports

So really, I would move the 2nd teams of every market and put them in the largest market without a team.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,571 times
Las Vegas, Austin, Albuquerque, Tulsa, Little Rock, Charleston, Mobile, Des Moines, too many to list tbh.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
^^ Only Vegas, Austin, and maybe Albuquerque could. The rest, no.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:49 PM

- NBA: 1) Seattle, WA; 2) Louisville, KY OR Cincinnati, OH; 3) San Diego, CA; 4) Kansas City, MO; 5) Las Vegas, NV; 6) Pittsburgh, PA; 7) Saint Louis, MO; 8) Austin, TX; 9) Tampa, FL; 10) Albuquerque, NM.

Honorable mention: Columbus, OH; Raleigh, NC; Buffalo, NY.

- NFL: 1) Los Angeles, CA; 2) Toronto, ON; 3) San Antonio, TX; 4) Las Vegas, NV; 5) Portland, OR; 6) Sacramento, CA; 7) Raleigh, NC; 8) Virginia Beach, VA.

- MLS: 1) Phoenix, AZ; 2) Minneapolis, MN; 3) San Antonio, TX; 4) New Orleans, LA; 5) Las Vegas, NV; 6) San Diego, CA; 7) Saint Louis, MO or Kansas City, MO; 8) Austin, TX; 9) Sacramento, CA.

- NHL: 1) Seattle, WA; 2) Quebec City, QC; 3) Houston, TX; 4) Atlanta, GA; 5) Kansas City, MO [Sprint Center is ready].

- MLB: 1) Austin, TX; 2) Sacramento, CA; 3) Las Vegas, NV; 4) Indianapolis, IN; 5) Charlotte, NC.

Wanted to give more to Orlando and Austin but their location 80 miles from bigger sports markets like Tampa and San Antonio hinder them. Orlando is getting an MLS team though.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:52 PM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
- NBA: 1) Seattle, WA; 2) Louisville, KY OR Cincinnati, OH; 3) San Diego, CA; 4) Kansas City, MO; 5) Las Vegas, NV; 6) Pittsburgh, PA; 7) Saint Louis, MO; 8) Austin, TX; 9) Tampa, FL; 10) Albuquerque, NM.

Honorable mention: Columbus, OH; Raleigh, NC; Buffalo, NY.

- NFL: 1) Los Angeles, CA; 2) Toronto, ON; 3) San Antonio, TX; 4) Las Vegas, NV; 5) Portland, OR; 6) Sacramento, CA; 7) Raleigh, NC; 8) Virginia Beach, VA.

- MLS: 1) Phoenix, AZ; 2) Minneapolis, MN; 3) San Antonio, TX; 4) New Orleans, LA; 5) Las Vegas, NV; 6) San Diego, CA; 7) Saint Louis, MO or Kansas City, MO; 8) Austin, TX; 9) Sacramento, CA.

- NHL: 1) Seattle, WA; 2) Quebec City, QC; 3) Houston, TX; 4) Atlanta, GA; 5) Kansas City, MO [Sprint Center is ready].

Wanted to give more to Orlando and Austin but their location 80 miles from bigger sports markets like Tampa and San Antonio hinder them. Orlando is getting an MLS team though.

- MLB: 1) Austin, TX; 2) Sacramento, CA; 3) Las Vegas, NV; 4) Indianapolis, IN; 5) Charlotte, NC.
I don't know if I would include areas with a strong college sports presence like Louisville, Austin, Columbus or Raleigh, to be honest due to competition.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't know if I would include areas with a strong college sports presence like Louisville, Austin, Columbus or Raleigh, to be honest due to competition.
Austin isn't a college town. I lived there during college and college students are contained to west of Martin Luther King Street to about 32nd Street. That is it.

It can stand to gain a team, most people in Austin are sports fans anyways, obviously the college kids will be into their school sports but most others could probably ditch having to support teams from Dallas, Houston, or even San Antonio. It wouldn't take away from college sports anyhow, most Austinites actively support the Spurs for example, even if they also support the Longhorns.

Las Vegas, like Austin, could stand to gain a team in any of the 5 but unfortunately gaming and gambling have slowed that down for it.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
You and I have talked about this at length, but I'll put everyone at speed here:

I'm not a big believer in 2 team markets for any sport given how mobile American society is and the lack of loyalty to a "neighborhood" like you see in European cities. There always IS a lead team that gets all the attention and resources and a junior team that, no matter how often they win, will never achieve the same fame as the primary team.

That isn't to say that a 2nd team in a market isn't profitable, because as the sale of the Clippers and Nets have shown, they can be. But in terms of actual fandom and fanbases, and not "projected media viewership", not even close. The Knicks haven't won anything since America was in Vietnam, while the Nets were perennial Finals contenders in the early 2000s, but yet this is what's going on at Nets playoff games:

If The Nets Play A Playoff Game In Brooklyn, And No One Is Around To See It, Did The Nets Actually Play A Playoff Game In Brooklyn? - Barstool Sports

So really, I would move the 2nd teams of every market and put them in the largest market without a team.
I don't really see any reason why the need to be equal or that close. Some markets are so big I think it's beneficial to have two teams.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:04 PM

12,870 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Seattle jumps out as a city that could use an NHL and NBA team. The Seattle Sonics leaving was a crying shame.

LA could also use an NFL team. It's Amazing to me that Jacksonville has a team but LA doesn't.

I do think the Hampton Roads area could use a team (NBA jumps out the most). I think that's a big enough region to support major league sports. My concern would be that the Military population is transient and that may not bode well for drawing new fans (transient people allegedly already support teams). Richmond could probably support a team too, but I think the Hampton Roads area is a more appealing option due to the size and relatively rapid growth.

I'm not as sold on Las Vegas. For starters, the metro area is pretty small. Second, it would be competing with a lot of entertainment options.

Austin might be able to, but I'm not sure what. It's a big enough city to support a team on paper, but it's also very much a college sports town. I don't know if an NFL or NBA franchise (or even an MLB franchise) could compete with Texas sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.