Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 02:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
St Louis, San Diego and Oakland are all pretty large markets.
Wonder if we'll ever see some new teams created to fill those markets. New teams, not moving the bills or whoever, that'd be kinda cool.
San Diego's media market is actually smaller than many might assume. It ranks 28th right behind Indianapolis and ahead of Nashville, two metros with much smaller populations. SD's media market is literally just SD County and doesn't extend beyond that like many smaller metro's do (Sacramento for example has a larger media market). St. Louis is ranked 21st despite having less people in its metro than SD. Oakland has a large market (6th) but it's splits with the Niners who have a much bigger fanbase. But it does draw from other CA markets too (Sac, Fresno, etc..).

SD is cheap as hell and won't use public money for a NFL stadium. They voted down an increase in the hotel tax, which is obviously paid mostly by tourists. Oakland won't put any public money into a stadium aside from infrastructure improvements because they got screwed when the Raiders moved back from LA. Taxpayers there still owe money on the Coliseum for the improvements that lured them back and ruined the stadium for the A's. Messed up thing is they still will paying that debt after the Raiders leave.. F the Raiders, they don't deserve a penny of anymore taxpayer money.

SD might be able to land a new team if they can redevelop the Qualcomm site but I doubt Oakland will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 AM

182 posts, read 226,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I don't think Omaha has any chance at the NFL. The numbers don't add up, and the market is too close to Kansas City. Here are the the markets that are larger without the NFL: (2016 MSA population)

San Diego
St. Louis
San Antonio
Orlando
Sacramento
Portland
Columbus
Austin
Virginia Beach/Norfolk
Providence
Memphis
Oklahoma City
Louisville
Richmond
Raleigh/Durham
Hartford
Salt Lake City
Birmingham
Rochester
Grand Rapids
Tucson
Honolulu
Tulsa
Fresno

If Omaha can beat out all these, then more power to them!
San Diego-No, a team just left the city
St. Louis- Same reason above
San Antonio-Seems possible
Orlando- No, Florida already has 3 teams. Maybe if Jacksonville moves to Orlando but thats unlikely
Sacramento- Seems Possible
Portland- Either Portland or Sacremento, not both
Columbus- Never, Ohio State's presence is huge.
Austin- Never, Same reason above (Longhorns)
Virginia Beach/Norfolk- Nah
Providence- Nah
Memphis- Nah, Nashville already has a team
Oklahoma City- Doubt it
Louisville- Nah, Louisville football is pretty big.
Richmond- Unlikely
Raleigh/Durham- No, too many college teams and charlotte has only a couple hours away
Hartford- No
Salt Lake City- Doubt it
Birmingham- Nah
Rochester- Nah
Grand Rapids- Nah
Tucson- Nah
Honolulu- Hawaii and Alaska will never get pro teams
Tulsa- Nah
Fresno- Nah

Old 03-29-2017, 07:57 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,449,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
As a long time Raiders fan, I think they will do just fine in Las Vegas. Las Vegas has a lot going for it. The Raiders have a national following and with almost 2 million people living in the Las Vegas metro area plus millions of tourists, attendance shouldn't suffer.
I cant see tourists traveling to Vegas to see the Raiders. They may already have NFL at home, but I doubt they have MGM, Caesars, Harras, Wynn, Circus Circus, etc.

And while there is 2 million people, its heavily transient, so a lot of people living there probably already have a team they root for.

But we will see. I dont think it was a good move, but im not responsible for it.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:03 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Cleveland could use a real football team!! Seriously, I think San Antonio would be a better location for the NFL than Jacksonville.

Old 03-29-2017, 08:10 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
NFL in Vegas will work. Only 8 home games.

You have to worry about the new NHL team with 41 home games.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I cant see tourists traveling to Vegas to see the Raiders. They may already have NFL at home, but I doubt they have MGM, Caesars, Harras, Wynn, Circus Circus, etc.

And while there is 2 million people, its heavily transient, so a lot of people living there probably already have a team they root for.

But we will see. I dont think it was a good move, but im not responsible for it.
LA Raiders fans definitely will. They did when the Raiders would play in SD and you would be surprised how many vehicles with Raiders gear would be driving back down to SoCal on a Sunday evening on I-5 from the Bay Area.

Old 03-29-2017, 11:40 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:

It will be like the Arizona Cardinals, a pretty solid fan base will build up in the city and across the state but when you will see a lot of opposing fans in the stadium when a northern team like the Bears come into town.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:59 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Facts Kill Rhetoric View Post
In the long run, this works out for Saint Louis because now they are elevated in the MLS expansion talks, they seem almost 100% poised to get one of the next two MLS expansion teams. Which is good, Saint Louis is a more proficient soccer market than football market as it is.
Hopefully, but there's currently public pushback against the city financing the needed stadium. It's going to a vote before the city, and the people may shoot it down.
Some updates:
Take It from a Soccer Fan: Vote “No” on the MLS Stadium Measures | Riverfront Times
Rally held at Ballpark Village in support of St. Louis MLS team | Metro | stltoday.com
Editorial: As soccer fans say, nil-nil. City voters should say no to Propositions 1 and 2 | The Platform | stltoday.com
MLS commissioner: No public investment in soccer stadium, no team in St. Louis | St. Louis Public Radio

If city voters kill the MLS stadium, it's going to be because St. Louis County and Missouri aren't contributing a dime to this. Why the significantly more affluent county was not brought on board, I have no idea.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:07 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

And while there is 2 million people,
its heavily transient, so a lot of people living there probably already have a team they root for.

Exactly, just like Florida where many home games in varying cities and pro sports teams see many more visiting team jerseys than the home team. Heck in Orlando they have issues getting more than 18K attending a Magic game (NBA) in a metro area with a similar population (2.1 million) as Las Vegas and similar distractions (Dizzy World, Sea World, Universal Studios).

Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackin12 View Post
S
Orlando- No, Florida already has 3 teams. Maybe if Jacksonville moves to Orlando but thats unlikely
Why do people keep dredging up the Jaguars for relocation? Their new contract with the city of Jacksonville is virtually unbreakable, owner Shahid Khan has no desire to move and is vested in the city, and attendance despite poor performance in recent years is better than Chicago, LA, Detroit, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay or Oakland. There's a new energy with a new coach and signs of improvement in terms of won-loss record next year so I would look for a team where things look much less promising. LA has never been especially supportive of the NFL and despite the arm-twistng to get the Rams moved there don't suspect it will be any different this time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.