Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Congrats to Nashville with the MLS. The league is definitely growing, but is only successful in a handfull of cities.

MLB? Don't get your hopes up. MLB is NOT in any type of expansion mode. And team moves are very rare in the majors.
All of the new teams have been successful. It's the legacy teams that are dragging down MLS's average. Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Washington are all moribund. But Orlando and Atlanta (the two other Southern teams) have both been resounding successes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 11:33 PM

911 posts, read 2,155,406 times
Please let Virginia end up with something. Anything!

Old 12-20-2017, 11:47 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I know the mentioning of Birmingham gets you riled up for whatever reason, but yea imo Birmingham has a better chance of landing a NBA franchise for the reasons I've already mentioned in previous post along with Birmingham being a top 50 tv market (1.6-1.8 million people), which Louisville is not btw. Bottom line the NBA isn't coming to either city in the near future. Seattle, Hampton Roads, and Kansas City are ahead of both cities at this point.

Oh and btw 2 million people in a 70 mile corridor isn't that impressive, and it means nothing when it comes to trying to land any major league franchise.
But it's impressive compared to Birmingham. You have zero data to prove that Birmingham is anywhere NEAR Louisville in really anything, especially the quest for NBA. It's not that I have anything against the Ham. Nice town...but it is slipping down to compete with Knoxville or Greeneville vs a Louisville or Richmond. It's just I am trying to put Birmingham in its respectful place as the things you are saying are not backed up anywhere.
Absolutely ZERO pundits mention Birmingham. And KY has two billionaires who have a growing interest, first and foremost, Pap John. He loves UofL, but wants it to return to amateur status, lol.

https://94feetreport.com/the-best-ci...n-1a57f43bc7f8

Louisville has a larger CSA than two NBA teams as is...35th largest CSA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

And you really don't understand how connected Louisville and Lexington are....their suburbs are less than 45 miles apart, and they share many things such as an outlet mall in the far east Louisville burbs. There's substantially more wealth here, in every single metric from GDP to higher end zips.
The ENTIRE state of Alabama has 3 Fortune 1000...what's more, none are the mammoth of Lousville's Humana.

Louisville alone has 5 Fortune 1000, nearly twice the entire state of AL. 70 miles east, Lexington has 2 more Fortune 1000. 90 miles NE, Northern KY has 2 more.
So Kentucky has 9 Fortune 1000 companies to 3 in Alabama.
https://www.geolounge.com/fortune-10...ies-list-2016/

Heck, even wikipedia doesn't list Birmingham as an NBA expansion possibility. Hell will freeze over before the NBA plays full time in Alabama. Not happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expans...ll_Association

Please provide me empiric data or articles from outside Alabama which mention Birmingham as a "pro city."

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-21-2017 at 12:01 AM..

Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
Please let Virginia end up with something. Anything!

One could make an argument that the Richmond to Tidewater corridor could easily support a team. Poor leadership I think.

Old 12-21-2017, 07:29 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
But it's impressive compared to Birmingham. You have zero data to prove that Birmingham is anywhere NEAR Louisville in really anything, especially the quest for NBA. It's not that I have anything against the Ham. Nice town...but it is slipping down to compete with Knoxville or Greeneville vs a Louisville or Richmond. It's just I am trying to put Birmingham in its respectful place as the things you are saying are not backed up anywhere.
Absolutely ZERO pundits mention Birmingham. And KY has two billionaires who have a growing interest, first and foremost, Pap John. He loves UofL, but wants it to return to amateur status, lol.

https://94feetreport.com/the-best-ci...n-1a57f43bc7f8

Louisville has a larger CSA than two NBA teams as is...35th largest CSA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

And you really don't understand how connected Louisville and Lexington are....their suburbs are less than 45 miles apart, and they share many things such as an outlet mall in the far east Louisville burbs. There's substantially more wealth here, in every single metric from GDP to higher end zips.
The ENTIRE state of Alabama has 3 Fortune 1000...what's more, none are the mammoth of Lousville's Humana.

Louisville alone has 5 Fortune 1000, nearly twice the entire state of AL. 70 miles east, Lexington has 2 more Fortune 1000. 90 miles NE, Northern KY has 2 more.
So Kentucky has 9 Fortune 1000 companies to 3 in Alabama.
https://www.geolounge.com/fortune-10...ies-list-2016/

Heck, even wikipedia doesn't list Birmingham as an NBA expansion possibility. Hell will freeze over before the NBA plays full time in Alabama. Not happening.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expans...ll_Association

Please provide me empiric data or articles from outside Alabama which mention Birmingham as a "pro city."
Dude Birmingham and Louisville are in the same tier of cities so why are you trying so hard to put Birmingham down as some **** hole and make Louisville as the best thing since sliced bread. I've been to and through Louisville many times. Nice city, but nothing special. Birmingham has everything Louisville has and it's in a better part of the country. Who really wants to come to some non relevant river city in a hillbilly state in the middle of flyover country, NOBODY.

You seriously think anybody in the NBA care how many hotels are being built, or how connected Louisville and Lexington are, nor how it's 35th largest CSA. I mean really �� ������������. None of that matter dumbass when trying to land a team in any pro league.

On top of all that other BS you cite a Wikipedia page as some kind of proof that Louisville is destined to get an NBA team, even more hilarious. Birmingham nearly has two million people in its tv market, and it's a top 50 market, larger than Louisville and more impressive to the decision makers than having two million people on a interstate corridor between two cities in Kentucky in two different media markets.

I've tried to have a rational conversation with you and explain why neither city will not get an NBA team in the near future but you can't be stop being a stupid homer.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
Dude Birmingham and Louisville are in the same tier of cities so why are you trying so hard to put Birmingham down as some **** hole and make Louisville as the best thing since sliced bread. I've been to and through Louisville many times. Nice city, but nothing special. Birmingham has everything Louisville has and it's in a better part of the country. Who really wants to come to some non relevant river city in a hillbilly state in the middle of flyover country, NOBODY.

You seriously think anybody in the NBA care how many hotels are being built, or how connected Louisville and Lexington are, nor how it's 35th largest CSA. I mean really �� ������������. None of that matter dumbass when trying to land a team in any pro league.

On top of all that other BS you cite a Wikipedia page as some kind of proof that Louisville is destined to get an NBA team, even more hilarious. Birmingham nearly has two million people in its tv market, and it's a top 50 market, larger than Louisville and more impressive to the decision makers than having two million people on a interstate corridor between two cities in Kentucky in two different media markets.

I've tried to have a rational conversation with you and explain why neither city will not get an NBA team in the near future but you can't be stop being a stupid homer.
Now you backpedal and resort to name calling. Worry about competition with Knoxville, not Louisville. You’ve produced zero data to prove Birmingham is what you say it is. And you live in ALABAMA and are trying to make fun of Kentucky. It’s beyond laughable.

Birmingham’s TV market is top 50 just like Louisville. Louisville and Lexington are viewed as one TV market for sports. You DO understand Birmingham’s TV DMA is overinflated by geographic isolation don’t you?
Louisville is a larger city, metro, csa, has more growth from population to commercial to GDP. Louisville is so close to other cities that it’s TV market is split up.

Almost every article about NBA mentions Louisville. Every single one and most say its the choice after Seattle. You want Birmingham to compare to cities well ahead of it, and no one is buying it. You spew venom but zero data.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-the-plan/amp/

The Hornets were SIGNED to move to Louisville! Birmingham getting a pro team is a pipe dream; don’t lump Louisville with them. The cities compare in some ways yes but when it comes to sports development Louisville is in a different league. It’s laughable you call me a booster when you’re the biggest.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
One could make an argument that the Richmond to Tidewater corridor could easily support a team. Poor leadership I think.
They don't really see themselves as one metro, however. Richmond and Hampton Roads have completely different cultures, vibes and people. I think Richmond and Nova, and Hampton Roads and Nova are closer in culture, to be honest.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:10 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Congrats to Nashville with the MLS. The league is definitely growing, but is only successful in a handfull of cities.

MLB? Don't get your hopes up. MLB is NOT in any type of expansion mode. And team moves are very rare in the majors.

You sure...?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Yes, pretty sure. But to offer an alternative position, here is one:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/19/ma...al-realignment

I don't think Portland is realistic as they will never build an MLB stadium with public funds. Private? perhaps.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
As much as I hate to say it, New York City could probably support another team better than any city that currently has none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.