U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:12 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,716,353 times

Advertisements

Parochial meaning people have little interest in visiting other parts of the country/world, are dead convinced their region is the best place on Earth, and generally look down on newcomers and outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Boston metro
NYC metro
SoCal
NorCal

Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,123,809 times
The ENTIRE West Coast.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:35 AM

4,265 posts, read 6,344,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Boston metro
NYC metro
SoCal
NorCal
Citing these four areas of the US as the most parochial is sheer ignorance on so many levels its hard to know where to start. But let's begin with welcoming to outsiders:

For decades and decades these four areas have been magnets for immigrants, artists, and domestic Americans looking for economic opportunities, especially, in recent years, the more-educated. They don't just welcome newcomers--their very identity and existence DEPENDS on newcomers and they fight to attract them.

Think there's no better region to live in the US? HA! New Yorkers, for one, have raise the bi**h and moan to an art level--both here on C-D and in real life. There is ALWAYS something to complain about, and we do it mercilessly and constantly. People are leaving SoCal in droves and have been for years, tired of traffic, high taxes, bad public schools, drought, and the high cost of living. They certainly don't believe it's the best place on earth or they'd stay there. The same is true to a lesser extent in San Francisco and Boston (less concerns about drought). While there are always folks who will swear the coastal metros are heaven on earth, there are plenty of people in both places who are fed up a ready to leave.

Unwilling to travel to new places or see and do new things? While this is a function of how much money one has, there are enough people in the coastal metros with enough money to travel, both domestically and internationally, for business and for pleasure. And because they are all shipping centers the trade in goods IMO has typically been fertile ground for a trade in ideas, making the coastal metros generally MORE interested in new things and new places, not less.

You want parochial? Go to Appalachia. That's the most inbred, unimaginative, provincial part of the US I've ever seen. If there's anything worse I'd be interested to know.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-01-2015 at 11:44 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 11:45 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Parochial/Provincial areas of the country are fairly well-documented in states like Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania where around 75% or more of the residents were born there.

The states with the most native-born residents

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Citing these four areas of the US as the most parochial is sheer ignorance on so many levels its hard to know where to start. But let's begin with welcoming to outsiders:

For decades and decades these four areas have been magnets for immigrants, artists, and domestic Americans looking for economic opportunities, especially, in recent years, the more-educated. They don't just welcome newcomers--their very identity and existence DEPENDS on newcomers and they fight to attract them.

Think there's no better region to live in the US? HA! New Yorkers, for one, have raise the bi**h and moan to an art level--both here on C-D and in real life. There is ALWAYS something to complain about, and we do it mercilessly and constantly. People are leaving SoCal in droves and have been for years, tired of traffic, high taxes, bad public schools, drought, and the high cost of living. They certainly don't believe it's the best place on earth or they'd stay there. The same is true to a lesser extent in San Francisco and Boston (less concerns about drought). While there are always folks who will swear the coastal metros are heaven on earth, there are plenty of people in both places who are fed up a ready to leave.

Unwilling to travel to new places or see and do new things? While this is a function of how much money one has, there are enough people in the coastal metros with enough money to travel, both domestically and internationally, for business and for pleasure. And because they are all shipping centers the trade in goods IMO has typically been fertile ground for a trade in ideas, making the coastal metros generally MORE interested in new things and new places, not less.

You want parochial? Go to Appalachia. That's the most inbred, unimaginative, provincial part of the US I've ever seen. If there's anything worse I'd be interested to know.
Yes, but the OP has defined parochial as "a place where people think where they live is the best place in the world." I doubt Appalachia people think they live in the best place in the world. On the other hand, people in Boston, NYC, San Francisco and SoCal all think they live in the best place in the world.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:09 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,923,777 times
Quote:
Yes, but the OP has defined parochial as "a place where people think where they live is the best place in the world." I doubt Appalachia people think they live in the best place in the world. On the other hand, people in Boston, NYC, San Francisco and SoCal all think they live in the best place in the world.
The people from those cities on city-data definitely do...no doubt.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:44 PM

4,265 posts, read 6,344,366 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. Talk to enough folks in those four cities and you'll find plenty of them, especially at the middle and lower ends of the SES scale, who will talk until they're blue in the face that their cities are not even close to best place on earth and are even steadily getting worse.

Appalachians are probably not smug and self-satisfied to the same degree as some affluent coastal residents, but I suspect that there are still plenty who if not happy there, have made their peace with it and aren't ready, willing, or able to leave. But by any reasonable definition of the word, and not just the OP's, this is still a wildly parochial part of America.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:58 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,716,353 times
Quote:
Yeah and even though Michiganders and Buckeyes are generally somewhat proud of where they came from, they don't seem oblivious to the region's faults.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:04 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,848,110 times
Quote:
One can be well traveled and still think that wherever they live is the best place in the world. I know people who have been to all 50 states and still think that NYC is the best city in the country, I am sure other cities have similar people. The two are not mutually exclusive or illogical... On the other hand, there are some parts of the country where most people haven't even been out of their state, much less out of the country.
I have traveled somewhat (maybe not as extensively as some other people) and I think that NYC, despite its faults, is legitimately the best anglophone city in the world (at least from the ones I visited), and I live here as a result. The only other city I liked more was Tokyo, but its not a majority English speaking city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or