U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:29 AM

56,533 posts, read 80,824,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
The average person in America is doing middle class or lower level work and does not make lots of money. If you are a barber or Administrative Assistant you don't care that Washington DC is wealthy and Knoxville TN is not. What you do know is that on a Barber or Administrative Assistant type job's income you can't even afford a nice apartment in DC in a safe neighborhood, but in Knoxville TN you can buy a nice single family home with a yard and trees and have something left over.
Is this actually true though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:37 AM

3,955 posts, read 3,487,388 times
No I would say that's fairly dramatized for the sake of making a point.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:54 AM

374 posts, read 345,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Baltimore City has a median household income of $41,000 / year. Relatively low, but many cities are far worse. Baltimore County with a bit more people has a median income of $66,000 / year not affluent but still above the US average. Baltimore city + county is just over half the metro population. The rest of the metro is richer, leading to a rather high median.
With that logic though I could make the reverse argument.

The poverty level for a family of 4 is approximately $24,250.

Roughly one quarter of Baltimore City's population is at or below the poverty level.

So essentially I could say that the one quarter of Baltimore City below the poverty level (155,000 people) drag down Baltimore City's median income.

Of course this logic could be applied to any metro area.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:14 AM

11,672 posts, read 6,271,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
False. Virtually everything is more expensive in New York City than a small town USA. Everything doesn't scale to the same degree as real estate which may be 10x as expensive... but rents are more expensive, so that means fast food places have higher fixed costs and tend to have higher prices. The same Bud Light at a bar in Mississippi might run you $2 but at a bar in Manhattan would be 6 or 7 dollars. Gas tends to be more expensive in areas where cost of living is higher. Take a look at gas prices in New York City, Chicago, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and compare it to the south.

It isn't just real estate. Real estate is the biggest difference, but it trickles down to the rest of the economy.
Agree 100%. And I've seen the price/cost-of-living disparities firsthand on multiple occasions. For instance, I could buy a fillet-o-fish extra value meal from my neighborhood McDonald's in NYC (and I don't live in Manhattan) for $8, while the same meal cost me $5.50 in rural Indiana. Also, the going rate for a movie ticket in NYC seems to be $13-$14, while things went for $7 in Metairie, Louisiana. And let's not even get into housing. For what we paid for our home in Brooklyn, which is in a great neighborhood, we could've gotten a significantly larger estate with land/waterfront in many other "nice" areas in less expensive cities/states. Goat in NYC regularly runs from $4-$7/pound (and the $4/pound is a steal that you don't see often), while the same cost me $1.99/pound in Detroit's Greek Market area. I also see similar price-disparities with groceries, although this is less true for my family as we shop at a large Asian supermarket in Brooklyn, which has prices that I find hard to beat anywhere I've lived/been.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:31 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
^^ oddly produce seems to be one thing that is more expensive in more rural areas based on my experince Agree on most other accounts

That said generally the biggest difference is either rent or cost of entry to real estate. Most places with higher costs also come with higher incomes

the other aspect not quantified in this desired lifestyle and even career, many of these higher priced places also afford more opportunity on the job front and even upward mobility in this sense,. That is not say its not possible anywhere just is more prominent in certain places.

Much comes to personal choice and the lifestyle and place one desires to be honest. This I would rather make x versus y there is ill founded as that is personal preference and correct to one making the decision

location to live comes with so many aspects, there is not singularly defining characteristic

That said these places do have more wealth, location and choice and even lifestyle is a personal choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.