U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 08:03 AM

12,427 posts, read 11,929,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
One of the big complaints of residents of Pittsburgh is the revitalization has brought loads of hipsters that have changed the vibe (and COL) of the city. Not sure if you would like the yuppies. Also, this is the worst food city I have ever lived in.
^ The above poster is a consistent debbie downer about Pittsburgh, which the OP should take in mind.

The COL has risen since I moved here back in 2005, but it's still far, far lower than not only NYC, but virtually everywhere on the East Coast. I think it's a tad more expensive than Philly these days, and around the same cost as Baltimore. But in those cases, if you're paying under the median rate you're basically in the ghetto, which isn't the case in Pittsburgh at all.

Cleveland is okay, but IMHO it's a lot more like the other rust belt cities than Pittsburgh, in that it's mostly blight with a couple of interesting neighborhoods rather than an interesting city with enclaves of blight. Downtown Cleveland has a bit more nightlife than Downtown Pittsburgh, and the transit system is a little bit better. That's about it though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 08:57 AM

56,636 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may like neighborhoods/areas of cities such as SE Quadrant of Rochester, Allentown/North Park/Elmwood Village in Buffalo, Westcott or maybe Downtown in Syracuse, Center Square/Delaware Ave in Albany or perhaps places like Ithaca, Downtown Troy, the Union Street Corridor(Triangle/Upper Union) in Schenectady, South Utica, Binghamton's West Side(south of Main) or Saratoga Springs in Upstate NY. I would look in the bigger cities first and all of them would offer what you are looking for to some degree. There would other places in the bigger metros that would allow access to what you want along with walkability and relative safety. Kenmore and Cohoes come to mind.
Some might think I'm crazy, but a very diverse area, with nice older architecture that came to mind is this area too(North Salina Corridor): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0575...fA!2e0!6m1!1e1

I only mention this area because it is still somewhat viewed with the Little Italy tag, but is very diverse with immigrants/refugees and you can find Vietnamese and African restaurants, Asian and African markets, along with several Italian restaurants/bakeries. If you get bored with those spots, you can walk, bike, bus it several blocks to Downtown and check out even more restaurants, as well as events. You would probably like this record store in Downtown too: The Sound Garden - Syracuse Store It is an area in transition that needs some TLC with some new projects that have occurred or in the works, but you can find some cheap/affordable rentals in/near that corridor.

Also, there is a the SUNY Upstate Medical Center on University Hill. SUNY Upstate Medical University

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm
Welcome to University Hill!

Westcott is on the other side of the hill from the hospital and has a range of restaurants, a couple of cafes, a theater that gets live bands, a library and some retail. https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...1e49970c556987

The Westcott Theater

You may also like this neighborhood with a pretty strong Irish character: Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

https://www.google.com/maps/search/T...-ezKUbCMqg!2e0

2015 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run

More info: Syracuse Arts Directory

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-04-2015 at 09:35 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 09:21 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,513,264 times
Quote:
Some might think I'm crazy, but a very diverse area, with nice older architecture that came to mind is this area too(North Salina Corridor)

I only mention this area because it is still somewhat viewed with the Little Italy tag, but is very diverse with immigrants/refugees and you can find Vietnamese and African restaurants, Asian and African markets, along with several Italian restaurants/bakeries. If you get bored with those spots, you can walk, bike, bus it several blocks to Downtown and check out even more restaurants, as well as events. You would probably like this record store in Downtown too: The Sound Garden - Syracuse Store It is an area in transition that needs some TLC with some new projects that have occurred or in the works, but you can find some cheap/affordable rentals in/near that corridor.
I adore DiLauro's. Their sesame loaf and calzones are amazing.

Columbus Bakery is amazing too, even though I think it's Cuban and not Italian. I always get their hard loaf.

Between DiLauro's, Columbus, Pastabilities, and that guy at the Regional Market, Syracuse has the best bread in the country.

Now I'm hungry.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I adore DiLauro's. Their sesame loaf and calzones are amazing.

Columbus Bakery is amazing too, even though I think it's Cuban and not Italian. I always get their hard loaf.

Between DiLauro's, Columbus, Pastabilities, and that guy at the Regional Market, Syracuse has the best bread in the country.

Now I'm hungry.
Don't forget to get some pastries and/or gelato at Biscotti's too.

Yes, I think Columbus is now owned by a Cuban family and I guess they have some good sandwiches too. Supposedly, Thanos the Greek/Italian market the next block over has some good meats.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-04-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 01:21 PM

794 posts, read 962,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen91 View Post
^ I heard the crime is pretty bad though, and very segregated in terms of blacks vs whites no?

Skyline looks okay...

I should have mentioned the actual existence of a skyline too. I dig skylines too, plus river views are cool too. That's why New York's appealling due to its island nature. Pittsburgh is nice due to the river views as well. Philly looked cool in some neighborhoods from afar where its like this Brooklyn effect where you see the skyline in the distance --> love that.

I'll check it out though. I heard Ohio is kind of bland, and this is coming from someone who lived in Northeast PA lol. All I know is that I don't want to live near Lancaster, PA after visiting recently. Way too flatland, and farm country. I would easily get bored without transportation.

I'm sure the next step could warrant a car but I like public transportation for the most part too.
Here are my two cents on a Cleveland / Pittsburgh comparison.

I find Cleveland to be more diverse than Pittsburgh. Yes there are segregated areas... Little Italy, Asiatown, West Park...as well as areas that are mostly African American (Glenville, Hough, etc).

But there are fantastic integrated areas. In fact, some of the most desirable areas in the city are pretty diverse. For Example

Ohio City neighborhood:
• White 41.1%
• Black 32.0%
• Hispanic 22.9%
• Asian 1.3%

Tremont neighborhood:
• White 53.8%
• Black 21.5%
• Hispanic 21.0%
• Asian 0.8%

Detroit-Shoreway/Gordon Square neighborhood:
• White 63.4%
• Black 17.9%
• Hispanic 24%
• Asian 1.1%

Cleveland seems to have more of an "ethnic white" feel to in than Pittsburgh. Visit the Westside Market in Ohio City to really get that feeling.

Like most cities, there are good angles to view the skyline. I agree Pittsburgh's skyline is better and more dense, but there are definitely some nice angles for Downtown Cleveland (from the direct of the neighborhoods listed above):

http://media.cleveland.com/architect...35bed9bdd3.jpg

Plus there are a few new 20+ story highrises going up in Downtown Cleveland:
- 23-story Ernst and Young tower (completed 2012) http://www.cleveland.com/business/in...opers_ref.html
- 32-story Hilton hotel (under construction for 2016 completion) Hilton Cleveland Downtown- Convention Center Hotel - Cuyahoga County of Ohio
- 54-story nuCLEus mixed-use tower (proposed for 2017/2018 completion) http://www.archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7779

I get the feeling Pittsburgh has been on a upswing for the past 15-20 years and Cleveland for the past 5 years. Kind of bland -- matter of opinion, but I don't really see the difference between what Pittsburgh has to offer compared to Cleveland presently. I prefer being on a body of water and having a National Park 15-30 minutes away.

Lastly, I prefer Cleveland's train system over Pittsburgh's. When I lived in Cleveland a few years ago, I lived car free.

And having a FREE (and grand) Museum of Art was nice. I used to go a couple times a month to just wonder around. I see you mentioned Art, which is why I mention it. The place is a complete GEM! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...land_Ohio.html I definitely miss having something like it out here in Portland, OR.

Maybe it's the Steelers-Browns rivalry that clouds opinions Both cities have a ton to offer and often get an unfair rep.

Last edited by usaf_1832; 05-04-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-04-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Some might think I'm crazy, but a very diverse area, with nice older architecture that came to mind is this area too(North Salina Corridor): https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0575...fA!2e0!6m1!1e1

Also, there is a the SUNY Upstate Medical Center on University Hill. SUNY Upstate Medical University

https://www.planning.org/greatplaces...ersityhill.htm
Welcome to University Hill!

Westcott is on the other side of the hill from the hospital and has a range of restaurants, a couple of cafes, a theater that gets live bands, a library and some retail. https://www.google.com/maps/place/We...1e49970c556987

The Westcott Theater

You may also like this neighborhood with a pretty strong Irish character: Explore Tipperary Hill | The NewsHouse | Syracuse University and Community News - S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications

https://www.google.com/maps/search/T...-ezKUbCMqg!2e0

2015 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run

More info: Syracuse Arts Directory
Here's a website for the first area mentioned in this post: Northside UP - The Northside Urban Partnership | Syracuse, NY

Old 05-05-2015, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 59,446 times
Yeah, I'm definitely applying upstate for medical school for Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester so they are definitely options for sure.

I just can't apply beyond PA, NY, and NJ because my family's rooted in NYC and northeast PA, and I just don't have the trust fund to go anywhere I want without major repercussions if things were to happen (car stuff, etc).

Regardless, thanks a bunch!

I didn't know Cleveland had a comparable metro, good to know! I still dig that for sure. It seems like Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester need cars, but obviously I'm putting that under the loan for med school anyway.

Here's to hoping I actually do well, ugh, Chemistry is a bit hard for me but we'll see.

^ Plus my father just had a stent operation too so hopefully I can refocus somehow on the overarching goal. At least I got this far because I've been debating this since high school, and feel like this would be the only graduate degree that would be worth it not only to help underserved communities but to at least move my family forward past all this poverty bs, and prevent the economy from totally screwing me over in the future.

Regardless, positive thoughts Thanks a bunch for the recommendations so far! Cleveland's skyline seems kind of meh, but you never know. I don't know if I'd ever visit for the time being but I might try visiting different places whenever I can over the course of this year so we'll see heh .

Whenever I think of how maybe bland Ohio is, I think of this Modest Mouse song lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRzq00Jdjo

Is Akron better?

Old 05-05-2015, 03:05 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,763,860 times
Pittsburgh is the city that immediately came to mind when I read the title of the thread.

Cleveland is a good suggestion too. Cincinnati might surprise you.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen91 View Post
Yeah, I'm definitely applying upstate for medical school for Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester so they are definitely options for sure.

I just can't apply beyond PA, NY, and NJ because my family's rooted in NYC and northeast PA, and I just don't have the trust fund to go anywhere I want without major repercussions if things were to happen (car stuff, etc).

Regardless, thanks a bunch!

I didn't know Cleveland had a comparable metro, good to know! I still dig that for sure. It seems like Buffalo, Syracuse, and Rochester need cars, but obviously I'm putting that under the loan for med school anyway.

Here's to hoping I actually do well, ugh, Chemistry is a bit hard for me but we'll see.

^ Plus my father just had a stent operation too so hopefully I can refocus somehow on the overarching goal. At least I got this far because I've been debating this since high school, and feel like this would be the only graduate degree that would be worth it not only to help underserved communities but to at least move my family forward past all this poverty bs, and prevent the economy from totally screwing me over in the future.

Regardless, positive thoughts Thanks a bunch for the recommendations so far! Cleveland's skyline seems kind of meh, but you never know. I don't know if I'd ever visit for the time being but I might try visiting different places whenever I can over the course of this year so we'll see heh .

Whenever I think of how maybe bland Ohio is, I think of this Modest Mouse song lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbRzq00Jdjo

Is Akron better?
You could get away without a car in those Upstate NY cities, depending on where you live. Buffalo has a rail/subway line as well.
Centro Syracuse

Maps & Schedules

Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority

Old 05-05-2015, 06:18 PM

43 posts, read 59,446 times
Gotcha. Definitely would be okay for school, but I would grab residencies in Jersey, California, or Texas in a heartbeat lol. Good to know about the transportation, but as far as I know from the subsequent reply emails from the various schools upstate, a lot of them recommend a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or