U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:20 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,194,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
Here is an example of what the rest of us are talking about. Notice how she says the words "snap chat".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgwTuNSaU_o
Yes, that's exactly the accent I'm trying to describe. "Snop chot", "bohx", "prohducts", "thot", "a loht". She's immediately recognizable as Californian (or Canadian).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:21 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,913,870 times
California has no accent at least all the times I visited it, the transplants from other countries and the Northeastern stand out because of their accents. They still like to say dude, bro and things like that a lot but thats everywhere now.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:50 AM

6,473 posts, read 4,069,179 times
I hear her "snap chat" as [snęp tʃęt], nothing at all unusual. It is definitely NOT [snɔp tʃɔt].

Her pronunciation of "box," "lot," etc. is not specific to California. She has the "cot-caught" merger, in which those two vowels are not distinguished, as a large majority of Westerners (and Canadians) do.

People who pronounce the vowels of cot & caught, Dawn & Don differently are immediately recognizable being from the upper Midwest (Michigan, Illinois, etc.) or from the New York/New Jersey/Maryland area of the East Coast.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:33 AM

163 posts, read 166,724 times
Her vowels are too rounded. There's a happy medium between a miswesterner's "sneeap cheeat" and a Californian's "snop chot". Believe me, I'm not being egocentric about this at all, as I'm keenly aware of my own accent as well.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:36 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,195,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
California has no accent at least all the times I visited it, the transplants from other countries and the Northeastern stand out because of their accents. They still like to say dude, bro and things like that a lot but thats everywhere now.
Ehh, I still don't really know what "no accent" means? People not from America would definitely think that people in California at the very least have "American" accents.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:25 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,597,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Of course you don't hear it. You're a native!

The word I hear the accent most in is "that". Everyone in California says "thot". "Whot? I don't tohk like thot."
Never heard that, but then again you're from Minnesota which has one of the most distinct accents in the USA,

Old 05-07-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I hear her "snap chat" as [snęp tʃęt], nothing at all unusual. It is definitely NOT [snɔp tʃɔt].
Of course you don't hear it like "snop chot", because to your ears, it sounds normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Her pronunciation of "box," "lot," etc. is not specific to California. She has the "cot-caught" merger, in which those two vowels are not distinguished, as a large majority of Westerners (and Canadians) do.

People who pronounce the vowels of cot & caught, Dawn & Don differently are immediately recognizable being from the upper Midwest (Michigan, Illinois, etc.) or from the New York/New Jersey/Maryland area of the East Coast.
The "cot-caught", "dawn/don" mergers aren't equal in all places they occur. For example, in California, both words sound like "coht" and "dohn". Here in Minnesota, it would sound like "caht" and "dahn" to you.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Never heard that, but then again you're from Minnesota which has one of the most distinct accents in the USA,

You do realize she's putting on a fake and extremely exaggerated accent, right?

Old 05-07-2015, 11:55 AM

12,646 posts, read 10,492,420 times
Californians definitely have an accent. Just saw my friend from Orange County yesterday and the way she pronounced some words stood out to me, as always. As others have pointed out, I notice the difference in "o" and "a" sounds the most.

I hate the term "General American." IMO there is no such thing.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:20 PM

6,473 posts, read 4,069,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
Of course you don't hear it like "snop chot", because to your ears, it sounds normal.
Well, I do quite frequently talk to English speakers who aren't from California. And I've not noticed that their "short a" /ę/ sounds odd, so the difference, if any, must be very slight. I'm pretty sure I would notice if someone said "snop" for snap. Those are entirely different sounds.

Quote:
The "cot-caught", "dawn/don" mergers aren't equal in all places they occur. For example, in California, both words sound like "coht" and "dohn". Here in Minnesota, it would sound like "caht" and "dahn" to you.
I have a hard time deciphering pronunciations when they aren't written in IPA. The sound I use for cot and caught is low and rounded: /ɔ/. You might spell it "aw." The vowel of "cot" in areas without the merger doesn't really exist, not just in California, but in the entire Western US and all of Canada.

The merger is stronger in parts of Minnesota than others, as this map shows: https://calvin.enlov.net/blog/wp-con...cot-caught.png . So you're saying that you have the merger, but you pronounce both "cot" and "caught" with an unrounded vowel?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or