U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2015, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
28,266 posts, read 26,258,197 times
Reputation: 11726

Advertisements

The arguments for both Baltimore and Cleveland being Northeastern are largely the same.

 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:06 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustInSal View Post
You do know Philly and NYC are usually both associated East Coast accents right? And dont give me no map crap cause everyone knows Philly and NY are both East Coast. So please keep your pre-civil war mentality about the North and South to yourself.

Chicago accents is Midetwern, so is Indy, and Cinci cause they are in Midwestern states.

I am a Ohio native and lived in Baltimore, huge huge, difference between East Coast and Ohio, especially culturally. Ohio is definitely Midwestern and Ohio used to be called the Old Northwest, itsl iterally the first Midwestern state outside the otherwise east coastal states. Like others here have said the history is prime in Midwestern history for Ohio. And if you consider Ohio Northeast youre grouping it in with other East Coast state/city culture.

And tell anyone from the East Coast, from D.C. to Boston that Columbus "should also be Northeastern", and theyll laugh their arse off at you. Cant be serious. But this is the same guy that thinks Baltimore is southern, lmao
Ah, the old "my opinion matters more than yours" argument. Nice.

Also, Philly and Baltimore are East Coast accents that deviate from the rest of the East Coast in that they are rhotic. At least Charleston and Boston have that remaining British trait. By the way, what civil war arguments are being used here? Show me one. Oh, u mad that Cleveland has a Northern dialect unlike Philly? YOU'RE the one using outdated North vs South arguments because you think only Northern and Southern dialects are the only kind. Oh, and some fake category of "Midwestern" dialects. Never mind that no one in Chicago sounds like anyone in Indianapolis but they do sound like Upstate New Yorkers and people from Scranton.

It's like people have this need to associate themselves with some mafioso type of culture. "The East Coast is all the same bro! Mafia types going bada bing and that fast paced lifestyle and tough guys and we all drop the R cuz it's badass! New York stretches all the way down to DC! Everyone from DC to Boston will beat you up 'cuz we ain't nice and we're all 'East Coast' tough guys, capisce????" LMAO who are you kidding. As if everyone from the East Coast looked at the Bos-Wash corridor as some unique cultural entity or as if New Yorkers and Philadelphians were all on each other's nuts or as if Baltimore and DC were unanimously embraced.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Cleveland's accent is Great Lakes / Northern Cities shift. Rochester has it. So does Buffalo. And so does Chicago. I'm not sure how you could use that to say Cleveland is more or less Northeast; it makes distinct from any of the Northeast east of the Appalachians.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 10:54 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Cleveland's accent is Great Lakes / Northern Cities shift. Rochester has it. So does Buffalo. And so does Chicago. I'm not sure how you could use that to say Cleveland is more or less Northeast; it makes distinct from any of the Northeast east of the Appalachians.
The Northern Cities Shift extends as far east as Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Western Massachusetts.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 11:03 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Long Island / NYC
45,990 posts, read 41,998,698 times
Reputation: 14810
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The Northern Cities Shift extends as far east as Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Western Massachusetts.
Meh. The weakest versions of it do exist in western Massachusetts, though very subtle. It's not very noticeable, compared to the western part of upstate NY.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 12:07 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Meh. The weakest versions of it do exist in western Massachusetts, though very subtle. It's not very noticeable, compared to the western part of upstate NY.
Yes it is as subtle as it is in Aberdeen, South Dakota but a large swath of the North is covered by this shift and it gets stronger with time. Point is, it's not just relegated to the Great Lakes cities. It is definitely present in Scranton, PA. It is of course, strongest in the Great Lakes and Chicago, definitely.

I do want to make a side comment about the irony of people claiming I am using North vs. South arguments. These are the same people who see it as only North/South and forget that the Midland region exists. Just shows how they are the ones looking at it as strictly North vs. South. If it ain't their version of Northern, then it has to be Southern. However, they make an exception for linguistics and claim a "Midwest" accent exists and that linguistics are separated by US Census borders UNLESS DC and Maryland are involved, then those borders don't matter because hey, being Northeastern is cool these days.

Average butthurt response here:

"There are only Northern and Southern dialects. Unless you count the East Coast. Then, the East Coast has its own dialect. And by East Coast I mean Maine to Maryland. These are East Coast accents and all sound SO similar. Everyone in the Midwest speaks the same and much different than us on the East Coast. They probably all sound like Fargo or like Walter Cronkite. But us here on the East Coast we talk that fast, hand movement fuggetaboutit type of way spoken in those HBO shows. This is true whether you're in Boston or the Eastern Shore. We're tough guys. We all drink unsweetened tea, seafood (because no one else in the country eats it), and have no BS attitudes. We all drink cawfee. We all tawk like dis you hee-ah? There is little difference between the way a New Yorker talks and how a Baltimorean talks. It's all that gritty, grimey, East Coast culture. You Midwest people are all corn farmers with no accents and if you have accents, you probably talk slow and overly friendly sounding. The East Coast accent is unique and has not spread West by any means because as soon as you cross into Ohio everyone says you betcha and donchaknoooow. All American accents are based on how the US census divided up the country. Except they got it wrong with Maryland. That's actually Northeast. But everywhere else they're right and therefore the accents match the US census divisions (except Maryland). Midland accents lololol S T F U n00b acting like you know how I tawk. I'm from the East Coast and we all tawk hard and rough. Dafuq is a Midland accent? Accents go according to East Coast, Southern, and Midwest. You in the Midwest don't sound like us at all. And by East Coast I mean everything on the Atlantic that isn't the South. Except Maryland. That's East Coast, too. S T F U about linguistics cuz you don't know me and I bet you never went to the East Coast. Midland accents what even is that? It's either Northern, East Coast, Southern, or Midwestern. BTW Northern is synonymous with East Coast and goes from Maryland to Maine. Stop making me laugh with this Midland sh it. East Coast fah life!"
 
Old 06-02-2015, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (South Central Region)
267 posts, read 239,248 times
Reputation: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Think about it. Ohio is closer to New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey than it is to the quintessential Midwestern "Plains States". Ohio has very Northeastern demographics. It has high concentrations of Italians and Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans are more prominent than other Hispanics. Cleveland is more like Upstate NY than it is like Iowa or Nebraska. Cincinnati has a dialect that sounds a lot like Philadelphian with their "o" sounds and short split A system. In Central Ohio there is t-glottalization like in NYC and Philly. It was also settled by Yankees and at one point a part of it was known as the New Connecticut. Aside from Cincinnati sharing linguistic similarities to Philly, Cleveland shares them with Buffalo and Rochester as well as the inner part of the Northeast as far as Western Mass and Connecticut itself. Youngstown shares linguistics with Pittsburgh. In Dayton, locals call their city "Day-on" with a glottal stop the same way Southern Pennsylvania people would say it and how certain New Yorkers would say it. This shows the cultural tie with the Northeast as they kept that remnant of British English the same way the Northeast did. Cleveland also has that "tough guy" cultural aspect to it like Philly and NYC do.

I think Ohio should reconsider being Midwestern and think more Northeastern.
I think because of the terrain changes from the east and west side of the state, their regional identity is a bit mixed from people that are not from or never been there. There are elements of all three in Ohio; it is culturally and physcially part of the Midwest/great lakes region, it is part of the "Rust Belt" because of all of the heavy industry such as steel and rubber that dominated the economy several decades ago, but are no longer in the forefront of industry I think, and it's part of the Eastern time zone, even though it's not on the coast.


 
Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
11,884 posts, read 10,393,652 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes it is as subtle as it is in Aberdeen, South Dakota but a large swath of the North is covered by this shift and it gets stronger with time. Point is, it's not just relegated to the Great Lakes cities. It is definitely present in Scranton, PA. It is of course, strongest in the Great Lakes and Chicago, definitely.

I do want to make a side comment about the irony of people claiming I am using North vs. South arguments. These are the same people who see it as only North/South and forget that the Midland region exists. Just shows how they are the ones looking at it as strictly North vs. South. If it ain't their version of Northern, then it has to be Southern. However, they make an exception for linguistics and claim a "Midwest" accent exists and that linguistics are separated by US Census borders UNLESS DC and Maryland are involved, then those borders don't matter because hey, being Northeastern is cool these days.

Average butthurt response here:

"There are only Northern and Southern dialects. Unless you count the East Coast. Then, the East Coast has its own dialect. And by East Coast I mean Maine to Maryland. These are East Coast accents and all sound SO similar. Everyone in the Midwest speaks the same and much different than us on the East Coast. They probably all sound like Fargo or like Walter Cronkite. But us here on the East Coast we talk that fast, hand movement fuggetaboutit type of way spoken in those HBO shows. This is true whether you're in Boston or the Eastern Shore. We're tough guys. We all drink unsweetened tea, seafood (because no one else in the country eats it), and have no BS attitudes. We all drink cawfee. We all tawk like dis you hee-ah? There is little difference between the way a New Yorker talks and how a Baltimorean talks. It's all that gritty, grimey, East Coast culture. You Midwest people are all corn farmers with no accents and if you have accents, you probably talk slow and overly friendly sounding. The East Coast accent is unique and has not spread West by any means because as soon as you cross into Ohio everyone says you betcha and donchaknoooow. All American accents are based on how the US census divided up the country. Except they got it wrong with Maryland. That's actually Northeast. But everywhere else they're right and therefore the accents match the US census divisions (except Maryland). Midland accents lololol S T F U n00b acting like you know how I tawk. I'm from the East Coast and we all tawk hard and rough. Dafuq is a Midland accent? Accents go according to East Coast, Southern, and Midwest. You in the Midwest don't sound like us at all. And by East Coast I mean everything on the Atlantic that isn't the South. Except Maryland. That's East Coast, too. S T F U about linguistics cuz you don't know me and I bet you never went to the East Coast. Midland accents what even is that? It's either Northern, East Coast, Southern, or Midwestern. BTW Northern is synonymous with East Coast and goes from Maryland to Maine. Stop making me laugh with this Midland sh it. East Coast fah life!"

Sheesh do you have a lot of hangups.

You are the one so concerned about what region states are in. If you want to include Ohio as Northeastern and not Maryland, by all means, do so.

It seems the Midwest has become the kid nobody wants to play with on this site lately.
 
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,834,894 times
Reputation: 699
Damn. The perception of the Midwest must be really bad right now.

To be quite frank, I dont care what people think of this region. Despite the economic hardships in Ohio and Michigan, the Midwest region has by far the most cities with a high standard of living, low poverty, high levels of education. The terrain is diverse, the people are friendly and more 'live and let live' than other regions.

So if you want out, then just leave. If i didnt want to be here id be gone already. But i do want to be here, in the midwest.
 
Old 06-03-2015, 08:24 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Sheesh do you have a lot of hangups.

You are the one so concerned about what region states are in. If you want to include Ohio as Northeastern and not Maryland, by all means, do so.

It seems the Midwest has become the kid nobody wants to play with on this site lately.
Who said anything about the importance of Maryland? What I think about Maryland is irrelevant to the thread at hand. I just find that people's best argument so far is "You think so and so state isn't Northeastern so therefore you have no credibility". What they forget is A) this thread is satire, and B) they don't know what I think about a particular state, they just assume I think a certain way because I see things they don't, but that's not the discussion.

The Northeast is agreed upon as not having a set culture or even standard of living, that's my point. If people want to argue for the NE status of certain states, that's on them but it is ironic when they get butthurt at someone else doing the same thing. They feel they're the only ones who get to redefine the region, apparently.

Take a look at this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North..._United_States

Apparently I'm not the only one who sees potential in Ohio being Northeastern. But hey, let's pretend there aren't people who are so keen on protecting their precious region from outsiders despite the fact that they are, in fact, probably about as Northeastern as Ohioans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top