U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 11:38 AM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Eastern Ohio has many similarities to western PA and western NY and northern WV.

In that regard it feels more northeastern-northern Appalachian. Honestly though, once you get west/north of the hills and out of Cleveland Ohio is clearly more typical of the Midwest.
We were in Cleveland this summer. DH is familiar with western PA b/c it's where I grew up. He thought it wasn't quite the same. I bring this up as he is a kind of neutral party to this, being a city boy from Nebraska (Omaha).

Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,226,512 times
Cleveland is not Northeastern. It is completely Midwestern in all it's parts. Ohio is a Midwestern state with Northeastern influences. Maryland today is a Northeastern state with Southern influences.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Cleveland is not Northeastern. It is completely Midwestern in all it's parts. Ohio is a Midwestern state with Northeastern influences. Maryland today is a Northeastern state with Southern influences.
Sure it is: Maryland To Be Third State To Phase Out Confederate Flag License Plates : The Two-Way : NPR

Old 10-18-2015, 12:09 PM

That's an influence. Maryland sided with the Union during the Civil War.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That's an influence. Maryland sided with the Union during the Civil War.
Maryland was a "border state" during the Civil War. Many bloody battles were fought there. They were a slave state.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:21 PM

1,524 posts, read 2,263,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maryland was a "border state" during the Civil War. Many bloody battles were fought there. They were a slave state.
Maryland was in the Union in the civil war, and most men were in the Union army. Border states were just that - border states of the United States, not the Confederate States. Yes, many bloody battles were fought there because the Confederate army invaded Maryland twice. There they met a hostile reception. You are right, Maryland was a slave state, but voted to abolish slavery in 1864. That's right, slavery was abolished by a popular vote in Maryland during the Civil War. Not exactly a very southern trait, considering that the southern states were fighting the greatest war in American history to defend the institution of slavery.

Distant history aside, yes, there are southern influences just like there are southern influences in Illinois. A fun exercise to do as a Marylander is to troll people from Pennsylvania and Virginia that you are a "southerner" and watch their confused reactions. It's hard to tell if someone is being serious or fishing for a reaction. For example, here is are the results of a study conducted by UNC Chapel Hill on southern identity. Only a small minority of Marylanders considered themselves southerners. The results don't inspire much confidence in the southerness of Maryland.

Here are the results of another poll asking Americans what states they consider "the south":

Here we are talking about a state that would be a complete outlier among the south in virtually every respect. Ancestry, accents, economics, politics, climate, you name it and Maryland will have more in common with other northeastern states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey than the south. I mean, when you hear a guy in Baltimore saying "hey yous", does that really strike anyone as southern? Anyways, I'm not a fan of the northeast and it had some influence on my decision to leave Maryland (and New Jersey before that). I prefer the south to the northeast, but come on, calling Maryland the south borders on being a cheesy joke.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Maryland was in the Union in the civil war, and most men were in the Union army. Border states were just that - border states of the United States, not the Confederate States. Yes, many bloody battles were fought there because the Confederate army invaded Maryland twice. There they met a hostile reception. You are right, Maryland was a slave state, but voted to abolish slavery in 1864. That's right, slavery was abolished by a popular vote in Maryland during the Civil War. Not exactly a very southern trait, considering that the southern states were fighting the greatest war in American history to defend the institution of slavery.

Distant history aside, yes, there are southern influences just like there are southern influences in Illinois. A fun exercise to do as a Marylander is to troll people from Pennsylvania and Virginia that you are a "southerner" and watch their confused reactions. It's hard to tell if someone is being serious or fishing for a reaction. For example, here is are the results of a study conducted by UNC Chapel Hill on southern identity. Only a small minority of Marylanders considered themselves southerners. The results don't inspire much confidence in the southerness of Maryland.

Here are the results of another poll asking Americans what states they consider "the south":

Here we are talking about a state that would be a complete outlier among the south in virtually every respect. Ancestry, accents, economics, politics, climate, you name it and Maryland will have more in common with other northeastern states such as Pennsylvania and New Jersey than the south. I mean, when you hear a guy in Baltimore saying "hey yous", does that really strike anyone as southern? Anyways, I'm not a fan of the northeast and it had some influence on my decision to leave Maryland (and New Jersey before that). I prefer the south to the northeast, but come on, calling Maryland the south borders on being a cheesy joke.
When my family moved from northeastern PA to Frederick, MD, the southern accents were very obvious. My sister-in-law, born in 1954, remembers segregated lunch counters in Elkton, MD. That was not happening in PA at the time. It's not a joke.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make a state Southern. Border states either sided with the North or South after the Civil War. What a state was 150 years ago doesn't define what it is today especially in the case of a border state. Missouri, Maryland, and Delaware today are aligned more with the North whereas Kentucky and the vast majority of West Virginia are Southern. The end.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
When my family moved from northeastern PA to Frederick, MD, the southern accents were very obvious. My sister-in-law, born in 1954, remembers segregated lunch counters in Elkton, MD. That was not happening in PA at the time. It's not a joke.
I don't care about your personal experience. Segregation existed outside of the South. Linguistically maps place the vast majority of Maryland outside of the Southern accent zone Frederick included. If you want to go against the study of professionals be my guest then you are a waste of my time and energy. Have a nice life.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:25 PM

13,356 posts, read 7,021,926 times
Quote:
Maryland is the other way around: a Southern state with very significant Northern/Northeastern influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or