Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2015, 12:32 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Great Lakes people know next to nothing of farm and rural living unless they live 2 hours away from a major city center. They're mostly used to highly urbanized regions unlike typical Midwestern people who even if in a city, aren't far removed from corn fields and rural life.
In general you had me until this paragraph.

Have you been to the areas outside of and between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse? Super rural farm country populated highly by Mennonites. And about an hour or so south of them you start hitting Appalachia.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:34 AM

114 posts, read 125,086 times
Buffalo is a baby Cleveland thats where the Northerneastern characteristics stop. Amish areas in Ohio do feel bit confusing regional wise.

Akron, Youngstown are Appalachian at best to me imho. While Pittsburgh is the capital of of Appalachia. Pittsburgh is not Northeastern.

OHIO is the North as Midwestern not Appalachia or North East.

Last edited by logongst; 10-24-2015 at 04:43 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 08:31 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,614,322 times
There are some good size farms just south of Toledo, Ohio. You should tell those Great Lakes farmers they are not really farmers.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:44 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:

Call Western NY not Northeast, but please don't call it Midwest because the Great Lakes region is different from the Midwest.
I always thought the Great Lakes was the quintessential Midwest. That's what I first think of when I hear Midwest.

Old 10-24-2015, 09:51 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:

Linguistics alone are a giveaway. Midwesterners speak in that neutral, accent less speech associated with newscasters for the most part (unless it's Cincy or St. Louis). The Great Lakes have their own accent spanning from the Upper Midwest to the interior Northeast that's a very nasal and grating sound that many outsiders find unpleasant. Basically it combines the nasal Northeast dialect and holds its breath even longer.
I agree the Great Lakes has a strong accent, but I don't believe in the idea of a "neutral" accent. Everyone has an accent; what's neutral to my ears isn't neutral to others.

Quote:
Put simply, if you're going to take West NY out of the Northeast, go ahead, but classify it as Great Lakes and not Midwest because I assure you, Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit share more in common with each other and Buffalo than they do with Cincy, Indy, or St. Louis.
I don't get why Cincy, Indy, or St. Louis are more Midwest than than Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit; both equally so. The latter contain more of the region's population anyway. An interesting breakdown of the Midwest:

The Corner Side Yard: The "Five Midwests" Series, Part 6: The Plains

Last edited by nei; 10-24-2015 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-24-2015, 09:58 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
"Midwestern" is pretty broad. So is "Northeastern" for that matter.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:06 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
In general you had me until this paragraph.

Have you been to the areas outside of and between Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse? Super rural farm country populated highly by Mennonites. And about an hour or so south of them you start hitting Appalachia.
Fair enough, friend. Was referring to extremely large city centers near 1 million in pop. but I didn't do well of explaining that.

I recant that statement as Milwaukee, only 90 minutes away from my home is close to farmland.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I agree the Great Lakes has a strong accent, but I don't believe in the idea of a "neutral" accent. Everyone has an accent; what's neutral to my ears isn't neutral to others.

I don't get why Cincy, Indy, or St. Louis are more Midwest than than Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit; both equally so. The latter contain more of the region's population anyway. An interesting breakdown of the Midwest:

The Corner Side Yard: The "Five Midwests" Series, Part 6: The Plains
Well, what I more so meant is that the GR region spans across two and is culturally apart from either region it's a part of. I just don't find it fair to say Western NY is Midwestern because of the GR cultural connections. We are different up here than down in the central Midwest.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
"Midwestern" is pretty broad. So is "Northeastern" for that matter.
True. Western New England is very different from Boston.

Old 10-24-2015, 03:19 PM

Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and maybe Minneapolis are essentially their own region that is different than

Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Kansas City.

The former have higher White ethnic populations and are faster paced. The latter are less diverse in White ethnic groups and are slower paced. The former speak in their own dialect. The latter in a different one. Great Lakes culture is more immigrant based and not as "Middle American" as that of the Midwest. Many in the GR region stay in touch with cultures of their non-Anglo origins. The dialect alone reflects this. It's more "international". I guess if I had to sum up Great Lakes vs Midwest, Great Lakes is much less WASPy. Up in the Great Lakes, ties to the "old country" are worn proudly. I feel that it's different in other regions wherein being "American" comes before the hyphen.

Btw, I know of Cincy's proud German population. I don't consider that the same because Germans aren't AS prominent in the Great Lakes to the degtee further South and I consider Germans WASPy. Yes, I am well aware of German plurality in Wisconsin and Milwaukee, but the difference is that in the Great Lakes, other White ethnic groups match the German percentages strongly. Further South, Germans and English make up a larger percentage. Also, English Americans don't make up a very significant part of Whites in the Great Lakes. They're even less represented by far than Germans. Again, don't come in here and remind me that cities like Milwaukee and Chicago rep Oktoberfest hard because that is not an argument I am making. German surnames do occur up in the GR region, but they're met with equal amounts of Irish, Polish, and Italian ones. English surnames on the other hand rarely as seen in the Great Lakes in Whites. Blacks are more likely to have them than Whites up here.

Anyway, I think it's inaccurate to say the Midwest begins in Western New York. It's not entirely like the rest of the Midwest. It's a region unto itself. I also know some people are probably going to read this post and think that I am discounting the German presents in the Great Lakes. Again, there is definitely a German presence up there. However, there is way more white ethnics represented up there. It's nowhere near as high as in the Northeast but it still high for the Midwest.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 10-24-2015 at 03:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.