U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,233,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
As someone who has family in the East and has lived in Minnesota I can tell you we have MUCH more in common with the East than Iowa, Illinois, or Minnesota. We may be a gradient nicer than the East, but we're a completely different color from the Midwest. Whenever I'd come home for a long period, or return to Minnesota, there was a long period of adjustment. People were sarcastic and straightforward in Cleveland, but those things were considered rude and unacceptable in Minnesota. Minnesotans were passive, indirect, and mild mannered, which didn't jive with Cleveland.

By contrast, whenever I've gone East, it's just faster paced and slightly more abrasive than here, but not the completely different cultural paradigm that the Midwest was to us. To use a language analogy, we might speak a different dialect than the East, but we speak a completely different language than the Midwest.
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree. You give little to no specific examples of how Cleveland is more like New York or Philadelphia than Detroit or Chicago. You are a minority opinion that Cleveland is Northeastern. Just keep preaching to the choir that isn't listening. Cleveland is culturally, linguistically, and demographically much more like a Midwestern city than a Northeastern one.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:30 PM

3,180 posts, read 3,860,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Sorry but I have to strongly disagree. You give little to no specific examples of how Cleveland is more like New York or Philadelphia than Detroit or Chicago. You are a minority opinion that Cleveland is Northeastern. Just keep preaching to the choir that isn't listening. Cleveland is culturally, linguistically, and demographically much more like a Midwestern city than a Northeastern one.
You are free to disagree, but I'm guessing you're not from here. Care to offer some proof to your demographic claims? I remember looking at a website a while back that showed where various ethnicities settled. Cleveland had migration patterns similar to the East, with more Hungarians, Italians, Jews, and Puerto Ricans than elsewhere in the Midwest, where German and Northern European ethnicities dominate. Call us Midwest if you want, but we have much more in common with Pennsylvania, and New York State than Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 10-25-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 10-25-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
You are free to disagree, but I'm guessing you're not from here. Care to offer some proof to your demographic claims? I remember looking at a website a while back that showed where various ethnicities settled. Cleveland had migration patterns similar to the East, with more Hungarians, Italians, Jews, and Puerto Ricans than elsewhere in the Midwest, where German and Northern European ethnicities dominate. Call us Midwest if you want, but we have much more in common with Pennsylvania, and New York State than Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota or Iowa.
I'll go on disagreeing. Besides, Western Pennsylvania and New York State are more like the Midwest than the Northeast, anyway.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Your city just got served with a poll. Let's see who wins: me or you. This will decide once and for all.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 2,202,482 times
I can't get there on I-95, it doesn't border water, and it was settled by Germans. Ohio is the Midwest.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:57 PM

215 posts, read 304,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
I'll go on disagreeing. Besides, Western Pennsylvania and New York State are more like the Midwest than the Northeast, anyway.
This is one of the silliest posts I have seen here in a while! I was going to use another word that started with an S but I am trying to be nice here. Let's pretend for a minute that this is true It still would not matter because Pennsylvania and New York State ARE Northeastern states, so it does not matter if they seem/feel "midwestern" because they are NOT Midwestern. So if someone is comparing Ohio(or any other Midwestern state) with NY and PA and saying Ohio feels Northeastern because it reminds them of NY or PA, then that is absolutely fair! There are some pretty ridiculous things I see here...

Pittsburgh and Buffalo being Midwestern! I won't touch on this one too much because it has been done to death, but I would say they are interior Northeastern cities. Again, New England does not define the Northeast!

"______"(insert whatever city) does not have any New England vibes, so it's not really Northeastern! Again, New England does not define the Northeast!

It seems like some here(from the NE) seem to think it's a huge insult if someone thinks there are some Midwestern states are similar to NE states!! "How dare you compare your backwards midwest state to my glorious Northeast state!!! Did you not know we are superior??"

As for New York state being Midwestern?? New York is one of the biggest states in the Northeast that is extremely varied in landscape/scenery etc It's hard to compare it to anything. It has a little bit of everything to it.

Last but not least..I have not traveled through the Midwest much in my lifetime, but I have been to Ohio and Michigan and honestly did not find there to be a big, gaping difference between those states and other North Eastern states. Truthfully when I hear Midwest I tend to think of farms and cornfields and states like Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana etc I think Ohio and Michigan are anomalies, and maybe to a certain extent Minnesota and Wisconsin! JMO

Old 10-25-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post
This is one of the silliest posts I have seen here in a while! I was going to use another word that started with an S but I am trying to be nice here. Let's pretend for a minute that this is true It still would not matter because Pennsylvania and New York State ARE Northeastern states, so it does not matter if they seem/feel "midwestern" because they are NOT Midwestern. So if someone is comparing Ohio(or any other Midwestern state) with NY and PA and saying Ohio feels Northeastern because it reminds them of NY or PA, then that is absolutely fair! There are some pretty ridiculous things I see here...

Pittsburgh and Buffalo being Midwestern! I won't touch on this one too much because it has been done to death, but I would say they are interior Northeastern cities. Again, New England does not define the Northeast!

"______"(insert whatever city) does not have any New England vibes, so it's not really Northeastern! Again, New England does not define the Northeast!

It seems like some here(from the NE) seem to think it's a huge insult if someone thinks there are some Midwestern states are similar to NE states!! "How dare you compare your backwards midwest state to my glorious Northeast state!!! Did you not know we are superior??"

As for New York state being Midwestern?? New York is one of the biggest states in the Northeast that is extremely varied in landscape/scenery etc It's hard to compare it to anything. It has a little bit of everything to it.

Last but not least..I have not traveled through the Midwest much in my lifetime, but I have been to Ohio and Michigan and honestly did not find there to be a big, gaping difference between those states and other North Eastern states. Truthfully when I hear Midwest I tend to think of farms and cornfields and states like Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana etc I think Ohio and Michigan ar e anomalies, and maybe to a certain extent Minnesota and Wisconsin! JMO
And I say that Ohio and Michigan being Northeastern is equally ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:13 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,818,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie75 View Post

Last but not least..I have not traveled through the Midwest much in my lifetime, but I have been to Ohio and Michigan and honestly did not find there to be a big, gaping difference between those states and other North Eastern states. Truthfully when I hear Midwest I tend to think of farms and cornfields and states like Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana etc I think Ohio and Michigan are anomalies, and maybe to a certain extent Minnesota and Wisconsin! JMO
Ohio and Michigan have a lot of farms and cornfields.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:21 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,864,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
that may depend on perspective, to me I would find Cleveland to have the midwestern niceness

there are gradiant but I am just not seeing this
See that's funny, kidphilly. I consider Philly people nice. New York and Boston are a different story but out of the big 3 Northeastern cities, Philly seems the nicest. I'd compare it's level of niceness to some towns like in the Central Midwest.

Must be the German element, I guess.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:22 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,864,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Ohio and Michigan have a lot of farms and cornfields.
Farms and cornfields don't stop existing once you go East of Ohio or even East of the Appalachians. There's even cornfields in Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or