U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:52 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,345,850 times

Advertisements

Ohio has alot in common with Pennsylvania but it has alot more in common with Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan than it does New Jersey, New York, and New England, but I think the "Mideast" would be a perfect term for the eastern Midwestern states if it wasn't for our controversies with the world's Middle East.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:13 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Ohio has alot in common with Pennsylvania but it has alot more in common with Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Michigan than it does New Jersey, New York, and New England, but I think the "Mideast" would be a perfect term for the eastern Midwestern states if it wasn't for our controversies with the world's Middle East.
United Ohio Emirates....Saudi Ohio?

Old 05-06-2015, 08:05 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,345,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
United Ohio Emirates....Saudi Ohio?
Ohioman

Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
When I say Ohio has traits in common with the Northeast, I don't mean Coastal Northeast like NYC and Boston. I mean interior Northeast like Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Western New England, and most of Pennsylvania outside of Philly. But if we include linguistics then Cincinnati could be similar to either NYC and moreso Philly.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 PM

As far as the whole "farmland" being Midwestern, have some of you saying this not traveled to central Pennsylvania? Hell, just being outside of the metro areas, a lot of the state IS farmland.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,922,270 times
Proximity definitely has an effect on similarities between cities. I would add Louisville and Memphis to those similar cities too, so they aren't all in the Northeast.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Proximity definitely has an effect on similarities between cities. I would add Louisville and Memphis to those similar cities too, so they aren't all in the Northeast.
Similar to what? Memphis and Louisville similar to..Pittsburgh???

Old 05-07-2015, 07:20 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,143,293 times
On this to me Ohio to say Chicago is the quintessential Midwest IMHO - maybe is just me.

I really don't care to much one way or another though

But wonder what the definition of the NE is. The NE corridor is much different than the interior of the NE

with that said Pittsburgh os sort of unique to me, sort of nexus of regions and that said making the association of Ohio to Pittsburgh or Erie connects sort of periphery NE areas so to me diminishes the connection in a sense. The Appalachian mountains are a pretty strong divider in many ways for better or worse. PA is sort of an oddball in the NE to begin with so calling out this connection is somewhat flawed from the start IMHO

Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On this to me Ohio to say Chicago is the quintessential Midwest IMHO - maybe is just me.

I really don't care to much one way or another though

But wonder what the definition of the NE is. The NE corridor is much different than the interior of the NE

with that said Pittsburgh os sort of unique to me, sort of nexus of regions and that said making the association of Ohio to Pittsburgh or Erie connects sort of periphery NE areas so to me diminishes the connection in a sense. The Appalachian mountains are a pretty strong divider in many ways for better or worse. PA is sort of an oddball in the NE to begin with so calling out this connection is somewhat flawed from the start IMHO
Well, that is a good point. However, I think the interior Northeast as more similar to the Great Lakes than to what some call the "East Coast". In the interior Northeast, linguistics are closer to Great Lakes than they are to NYC or Eastern New England. The interior Northeast also shares "pop" with the Great Lakes, not "soda" with the Coastal people. Pittsburgh and Scranton, as well as Buffalo and I believe Syracuse also say pop. Demographically those cities are just as Northeastern as the Coast, having high Italian, Irish, and Jewish populations.

Now as far as linguistics go, the area around Pittsburgh is unique BUT it does extend into Eastern Ohio. Must be the Appalachian connection. It goes as far north as Erie, too.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:09 AM

2,825 posts, read 3,264,914 times
Ohio is Midwestern, but not really Midwestern in the vein as Iowa, Nebraska, Missouri, etc. It's Rust Belt-ish Midwestern, Cleveland is the best example. Even Pittsburgh and Buffalo are in the same vein, although Pittsburgh is kinda Appalachia like West Virginia. So no, I don't think Ohio should be considered Northeastern at all. Cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati are not really similar to Philly, Hartford, Newark, Providence, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or