U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 08:31 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,859,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I can't get there on I-95, it doesn't border water, and it was settled by Germans. Ohio is the Midwest.
So most of Pennsylvania is Midwestern outside of Philly? Philly doesn't border the ocean, either, which I assume is what you meant by water.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,231,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So most of Pennsylvania is Midwestern outside of Philly? Philly doesn't border the ocean, either, which I assume is what you meant by water.
Ohio is Midwestern. I don't get your agenda.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:54 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,859,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Ohio is Midwestern. I don't get your agenda.
Your reply has nothing to do with my post. Like, at all.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:07 PM

20,866 posts, read 36,011,334 times
Quote:
Most of Pennsylvania is Appalachian.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:14 PM

4,635 posts, read 3,981,834 times
Quote:
Think about it. Ohio is closer to New York, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey than it is to the quintessential Midwestern "Plains States". Ohio has very Northeastern demographics. It has high concentrations of Italians and Puerto Ricans. Puerto Ricans are more prominent than other Hispanics. Cleveland is more like Upstate NY than it is like Iowa or Nebraska. Cincinnati has a dialect that sounds a lot like Philadelphian with their "o" sounds and short split A system. In Central Ohio there is t-glottalization like in NYC and Philly. It was also settled by Yankees and at one point a part of it was known as the New Connecticut. Aside from Cincinnati sharing linguistic similarities to Philly, Cleveland shares them with Buffalo and Rochester as well as the inner part of the Northeast as far as Western Mass and Connecticut itself. Youngstown shares linguistics with Pittsburgh. In Dayton, locals call their city "Day-on" with a glottal stop the same way Southern Pennsylvania people would say it and how certain New Yorkers would say it. This shows the cultural tie with the Northeast as they kept that remnant of British English the same way the Northeast did. Cleveland also has that "tough guy" cultural aspect to it like Philly and NYC do.

I think Ohio should reconsider being Midwestern and think more Northeastern.
The Plains are a sub-section of the Midwest west of the Mississippi. East of the Mississippi it is the Great Lakes region. The Midwest is the area between the Appalachians and the Rockies north of the Ohio River east of the Mississippi and ~36.51 degrees north when you get west of the Mississippi.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:25 AM

12,201 posts, read 10,438,641 times
There's nothing "East Coast" about Ohio....not the set-up, not the people, not the way of life. Cleveland has a lot of ethnic whites, but so does Chicago and Detroit.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:25 AM

215 posts, read 303,803 times
Quote:
And I say that Ohio and Michigan being Northeastern is equally ridiculous.
When did I say they are Northeastern? Oh right...I didn't!

Old 10-26-2015, 07:30 AM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Most of Pennsylvania is Appalachian.
Appalachia isn't a major region of the country though, if for no other reason than West Virginia being the only state which is entirely (or almost entirely, if you discount the Eastern Panhandle) within its confines.

Northeast does not equal BosWash corridor. They are different things.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:51 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,231,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Appalachia isn't a major region of the country though, if for no other reason than West Virginia being the only state which is entirely (or almost entirely, if you discount the Eastern Panhandle) within its confines.

Northeast does not equal BosWash corridor. They are different things.
The BosWash corridor is Northeastern however and is the core of the Northeast.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:58 AM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
Quote:
The BosWash corridor is Northeastern however and is the core of the Northeast.
I'd say it's inarguable that most of the corridor is in the Northeast, but people's opinions disagree on whether some or all of the DC metro area is in the South, or if it's some sort of "Mid-Atlantic" region which isn't in either the Northeast or Southeast.

BosWash is by far the most populated portion of the Northeast, but I dunno if that makes it the "core." That's like saying California is the core of the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or