U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2015, 02:12 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,224,763 times
Reputation: 846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Ohio is a big state. I'd consider Cincinnati a "midwestern" city. Same for Columbus. But Cleveland? It almost has an East Coast feeling.
Cleveland has no East Coast feeling to it all IMO.

 
Old 11-16-2015, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,224,763 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzanthos View Post
I vote Ohio as a northeastern state based solely on the fact that Ohio's most populous region is the Cleveland area (I.E. the cities of Cleveland, Akron, Cuyahoga falls, Kent, Youngstown, Canton, and Warren) which in my opinion after spending much time there is that it is very similar in culture/customs to western PA, not to mention its proximity to western PA. I'm Pittsburgh born and grew up in both the Akron and Pittsburgh areas.
Youngstown isn't part of Cleveland. And one can make the argument that western PA is more similar to the Midwest in terms of culture/customs than to the rest of the Northeast. Cleveland in terms of culture and customs has far more similarities to the rest of the Midwest than the Northeast.
 
Old 11-16-2015, 03:15 PM
 
2,563 posts, read 2,787,535 times
Reputation: 3479
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Cleveland has no East Coast feeling to it all IMO.
It'll be interesting to see what other people think. My experience is limited. Cleveland is just one of those old cities that has been around forever and has been more or less within the orbit of the east coast. A "Pluto" city of NYC. Out there, but still part of the East Coast. Think of the culture. The art scene. The music scene. The manufacturing base. The ethnic makeup.

I can remember being on a train as a little kid. I think it was the New York Central on the way to NY. The train stopped in Cleveland for what seemed like hours. Lots of mail to load and unload. Once you hit Cleveland, you weren't in Kansas anymore.
 
Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,839,346 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Youngstown isn't part of Cleveland. And one can make the argument that western PA is more similar to the Midwest in terms of culture/customs than to the rest of the Northeast. Cleveland in terms of culture and customs has far more similarities to the rest of the Midwest than the Northeast.
The country was settled East to West not vice versa. Why would these interior Northeast locales like Buffalo and Pittsburgh have a Midwest influence when historically the Midwest was populated by people from further East? Ohio didn't exist at the time many of these places already did, and I don't know of any record of Midwestern people settling East, so what is this idea you propose based on?
 
Old 11-16-2015, 10:11 PM
 
Location: Arch City
1,724 posts, read 1,224,763 times
Reputation: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
The country was settled East to West not vice versa. Why would these interior Northeast locales like Buffalo and Pittsburgh have a Midwest influence when historically the Midwest was populated by people from further East? Ohio didn't exist at the time many of these places already did, and I don't know of any record of Midwestern people settling East, so what is this idea you propose based on?
Go away. I'm not responding to you. and not because I have no comeback. Because arguing with you as a waste of time. You're a broken record you spew the same information. Waste of my time and energy. Don't bother me again.
 
Old 11-16-2015, 11:58 PM
 
Location: Appalachian New York, Formerly Louisiana
4,100 posts, read 4,729,281 times
Reputation: 5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Go away. I'm not responding to you. and not because I have no comeback. Because arguing with you as a waste of time. You're a broken record you spew the same information. Waste of my time and energy. Don't bother me again.
No, he honestly has a point.
 
Old 11-17-2015, 03:49 AM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Reputation: 14655
If it was incorporated by British settlers before the American Revolution, it's not a Midwestern city.
 
Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 AM
 
Location: Western Washington State
17 posts, read 9,350 times
Reputation: 22
Dear Ohio, Lower Michigan, and Indiana,

You can't be in Eastern Standard Time and consider yourself Midwest. Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Wisconsin are solidly in Central Standard Time and more Midwestern. I would consider Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana "Great Lakes States".
 
Old 11-17-2015, 04:34 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,795,852 times
Reputation: 4060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon87 View Post
Dear Ohio, Lower Michigan, and Indiana,

You can't be in Eastern Standard Time and consider yourself Midwest. Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Wisconsin are solidly in Central Standard Time and more Midwestern. I would consider Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana "Great Lakes States".
Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't Great Lakes states?
 
Old 11-17-2015, 05:20 AM
 
Location: Western Washington State
17 posts, read 9,350 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota aren't Great Lakes states?
Yes, they are Great Lake States too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top