U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2015, 06:08 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,347,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
Pittsburgh PA isn't even the Northeast.

Orlando has Puerto Ricans, and New Orleans has Italians neither are in the Northeast.

Should Chicago be in the northeast? Milwaukee? St. Louis? They have more in common with Philly than they do with Lincoln Nebraska, but at the same time Elmira NY probably has more in common with Lincoln than NYC.
Yes it does, it doesn't feel that different than New Jersey.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:22 PM

13,358 posts, read 7,027,058 times
Ohio is pretty Midwestern overall. But there are parts of Ohio that are part of Appalachia, so that's kind of an easy connection at least to the Appalachian parts of the Northeast.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:43 PM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
That's actually not what documentation means, but try these:

https://books.google.com/books?id=n3...0image&f=false

Read the section entitled "Creation of an Image'. Of particular interest, Shortridge notes at the end of the section that Michigan and Ohio were the last states to adopt the moniker "midwestern", sometime after 1910...

or, if you really think that links are "documentation" try this one:

Online Etymology Dictionary
Thanks for the links. You seem to like to argue semantics. Documentation is certainly more than me taking your word for it. The first link does not support what you have said, and is more in line with what people think of as the midwest. It does not mention the states of W.Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Arkansas as part of the midwest.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 05-10-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 05-10-2015, 07:48 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,834,364 times
The Northwest Territory

The term*"Midwest*"*is of relatively recent origin. To the early European settlers migrating from the east coast, the Midwest was the "West." It encompassed the Northwest Territory (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and part of Minnesota), which was ceded to the US by the British at the end of the Revolutionary War (in 1783). Chicago's Northwestern University gets its name from the region's former designation. As the US expanded even farther westward in the nineteenth century, the term "West" came to include an ever enlarging area. By the 1880s, the far west had become a major settlement destination, and the term "Midwest" was introduced to identify the Great Plains, while "near west" was supposed to identify the states between the Great Plains and the Appalachian Mountains. "Near west" never became a popular idiom, and eventually "Midwest" came to identify a more eastern region from Iowa and Missouri to Ohio.

Ch 7 - The Midwest

Old 05-11-2015, 07:40 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlyFries View Post
Yes it does, it doesn't feel that different than New Jersey.
NJ is very different depending on what region you're in. South Jersey is a lot different than Northeast Jersey.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:44 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,194,789 times
No part of Ohio felt like any part of Philly. I think that's the litmus test. Ohio, get back in your buckeye area and go Hoosiers (couldn't care less about the rivalry honestly - just said it for effect)!

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-11-2015 at 08:05 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 08:38 AM

12,423 posts, read 11,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
No part of Ohio felt like any part of Philly.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Certainly no part of northeast Ohio feels like Philly. But if you're in the right portions of Cinci, you can squint your eyes and think you're in Philadelphia.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this. Certainly no part of northeast Ohio feels like Philly. But if you're in the right portions of Cinci, you can squint your eyes and think you're in Philadelphia.
You'd have to spin around until you're dizzy and not talk to anybody. (I'm aware - OTR)

Old 05-11-2015, 09:19 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,847,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
You'd have to spin around until you're dizzy and not talk to anybody. (I'm aware - OTR)
Talking to people would help cement the notion, as Cincy and Philly share linguistic similarities abundantly.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Talking to people would help cement the notion, as Cincy and Philly share linguistic similarities abundantly.
Oh. Coming from the south, you could've fooled me on that one. I mean, they're similar kinda like how maybe upscale Miami is similar to upscale Houston ....

To me, Philly has a much, much jerkier way of laying out words. More related to NYC than anywhere in the Midwest. Cinn to me let their words flow into each other much more and have a more typical Midwest "O" - very distinctive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or