U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:33 PM

6,207 posts, read 6,364,366 times

Advertisements

Where can you go to get away from spring allergies?

I hate the northeast in spring. The plants start blooming like cray. I grew up in the "garden state" They call it the garden state for a reason, effing horrible.

Is there anywhere in the states, where the allergies causing particulates are not as saturated as the northeast? Is it the desert states like AZ, or NM? Please help me out here. I need to get out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:15 AM

1,977 posts, read 1,816,806 times
Yeah some dry area with few plants, trees and grass. Arizona, New Mexico etc. But then if you're like me some times the dust from the sand will bother me when the wind blows.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:34 AM

4,346 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Our daughter has bad seasonal allergies and we moved to the Phoenix Metro several years ago for a job transfer. We thought, mistakenly, that she would be "cured" by livingi in the desert Southwest. What we found was that people who are prone to allergies simply develop them to the local flora of wherever they move. We took her to an allergist out there for a follow up visit per the wishes of her allergist in Michigan and found the waiting room to be stuffed to overflowing with kids and adults waiting for their weekly allergy shots. Instead of being allergic to the pollens of the upper Midwest, they were allergic to things like cactus blossoms and mesquite trees. Interesting.

Don't even think about the Southeast. There are times during the spring down there where the pollens are so bad that they coat your car with a yellow/green dust, even in a matter of a couple of hours. I've seen it first hand.

Maybe the mountain west in the higher elevations?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Our daughter has bad seasonal allergies and we moved to the Phoenix Metro several years ago for a job transfer. We thought, mistakenly, that she would be "cured" by livingi in the desert Southwest. What we found was that people who are prone to allergies simply develop them to the local flora of wherever they move. We took her to an allergist out there for a follow up visit per the wishes of her allergist in Michigan and found the waiting room to be stuffed to overflowing with kids and adults waiting for their weekly allergy shots. Instead of being allergic to the pollens of the upper Midwest, they were allergic to things like cactus blossoms and mesquite trees. Interesting.

Don't even think about the Southeast. There are times during the spring down there where the pollens are so bad that they coat your car with a yellow/green dust, even in a matter of a couple of hours. I've seen it first hand.

Maybe the mountain west in the higher elevations?
Hmm, that really stinks for me then. I have lived in Central PA during college years, and did not suffer allergies there for some reason. They have plenty of trees. I guess I am more allergic to flowers than leafy green plants.

But I think I will give the southwest a shot. I am looking for a place to vacation for a bit. Is Southern California the same landscape?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
Yeah some dry area with few plants, trees and grass. Arizona, New Mexico etc. But then if you're like me some times the dust from the sand will bother me when the wind blows.
Dust and dirt I have no problems. I can be in Manhattan in the concrete jungle and I am fine. Though as soon as I venture to close to Central Park, I start to flare up.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:25 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,194,658 times
I think the only place where seasonal allergies wouldn't be a problem is a place that's frozen year-round (as desert plants send out pollen/spores, too).

Maybe try Antarctica?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:51 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,925,255 times
Go to the doctor (or the pharmacy) - they make pills that help allergies.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Go to the doctor (or the pharmacy) - they make pills that help allergies.
They don't work for everyone. I am one of those people. Tylenol, Benadryl, Claritin and all the major brands have no effect on me. Allegra works best, but it does not give me total relief.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I think the only place where seasonal allergies wouldn't be a problem is a place that's frozen year-round (as desert plants send out pollen/spores, too).

Maybe try Antarctica?
I think it is certain plants found in the NYC metro. As I have stated, I have been up in Central PA which is Apalachia, and have been fine. I am looking for a place to vacation as well, but don't want to go back to Central PA.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:00 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,124,145 times
Stay away from Virginia. Once things start flowering here, they don't stop until Winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or