U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,097 times

Advertisements

Note in advance: This post is being EXTREMELY picky with specifics and I'm most likely describing a mini-utopia that doesn't exist. I'm aware of this. But, I am just posting my ideal place in the hope that somehow there is a place that at least meets a large majority of the specifications listed.

I am 23. She is 27.
I have four years of warehouse experience with some university (not completed) but I am striving to move onto more. She is an illustrator with a master's degree in Graphic Design. She is also into craft-making and attending craft events and selling her own works.
The jobs I can typically land are in the $25,000 per year bracket and she is just now beginning her career in the U.S. so we will just go by my income for now. As a result, we can't live in any extremely expensive areas (such as New York City, San Francisco, etc.).
We have a sizable savings in order to help us establish ourselves.

Neither of us can tolerate the heat and humidity (we currently live in the South and are hating the weather).
60 to 65 degrees Fahrenheit is when we feel the most comfortable.
We love cloudy days.
I don't like heavy snow or having to scrape ice off of my car every morning for half the year.
Light wind is nice, but extremely windy places can get annoying real quick. So preferably not too much wind.

A good public four-year university is a must. I still intend on completing my degree when I find the opportunity to do so.

As for geographic desires, we'd like to be in a larger city with many cultural activities (theater, concerts, fairs, events, and parks) but at the same time be within easy driving distance to nature. Preferably mountains, water, and green forests with hiking trails.
We wouldn't mind living in a smaller suburb of a city if it is in such an areas as I'm describing. I know that in my income bracket that I may not be able to live in the city itself.

As for shopping/dining options... I come from a boring, small suburb which only offers chain restaurants and such. So I'd like more independent, unique places to eat and shop at.

I'm sure I could think of more to say, given time. But for now this is all.
Thanks in advance for any advice and support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:07 AM

892 posts, read 1,097,008 times
Outside of the weather, the rest seems like living somewhere affordable in the Pittsburgh area would be great. Between Pittsburgh, and Cleveland which isn't that far away, there are a lot of craft events throughout the year. If she's willing to go a little further, one of the largest craft fairs in the US each year is in Columbus. Western Pennsylvania is one of the cloudiest areas east of the Rockies. The University of Pittsburgh is a member of the American Association of Universities, and is public.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:34 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,654,765 times
I thought of the PacNW but I don't know if they are affordable to your income. I heard both Seattle and Portland are expensive, however the other towns in the region with similar weather might be more affordable. Possibly Eugene, Oregon? Eugene has University of Oregon and appears to be a nice place.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,361,008 times
Oregon or Washington outside of the two big metro areas (Portland/Seattle).

Old 05-06-2015, 10:45 AM

3,744 posts, read 3,714,391 times
Nashville, TN

Old 05-06-2015, 10:49 AM

21,364 posts, read 21,930,528 times
I too was going to suggest Nashville for you, and I'm thinking Sacramento for your wife

Old 05-06-2015, 11:04 AM

124 posts, read 207,597 times
Salt Lake City

Old 05-06-2015, 11:05 AM

124 posts, read 207,597 times
Metro of well over a million and your never more than 20 minutes from the outdoors. Always something going on in the city, and around 300 days of sun a year. More diverse than it gets credit for as well.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:14 AM

1,196 posts, read 4,343,172 times
Definitely sounds like the northwest. Eugene or Portland would be good choices.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:06 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,471,649 times
Depending on your field, Portland probably doesn't meet your criteria of a "good public 4 year." It's also very expensive.

Elsewhere in OR, Eugene/Corvallis have the stronger universities, but neither has a large market for warehouse jobs. And while Eugene is cheaper than NYC or Boston (and a bit cheaper than Portland), it's notably higher than the national average, and assuming you can find any job, getting by on 25k a year is still going to be a challenge unless you're camping out or maybe doing the co-op life. Corvallis is an even smaller job market and a bit more expensive to boot.

As for crafting, there is a robust crafting community there, but it also means you have to really stand out to make any money doing it.

Sacramento would be a no go I'd say - not very humid but summers are brutally hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or