Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:54 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,405,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Ha! This reminds me of when I was stationed in Little Creek, Virginia. The golf course had a vending machine with beer in it. They got rid of it after they found a bunch of 14 year old kids buying beer out of it. Thanks for the memory, OP

Rg
Wow! That was Virginia, a state with ABC stores? (though I know beer is found pretty much everywhere, and NOT at ABC stores).

I know a bar in Virginia Beach that still has a 50's cigarette machine, but it's monitored at all times by a security camera as well as by staff, so underage sales aren't ever really a concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:00 PM

813 posts, read 600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Wow! That was Virginia, a state with ABC stores? (though I know beer is found pretty much everywhere, and NOT at ABC stores).

I know a bar in Virginia Beach that still has a 50's cigarette machine, but it's monitored at all times by a security camera as well as by staff, so underage sales aren't ever really a concern.
Yeah, they had ABC stores then (back in early 1980's). The base club actually would sell beer to Navy personnel who were 18 when I first got to Little Creek, but it soon changed to 21 due to pressure from the state of Virginia (which was at 21)

Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Yeah, they had ABC stores then (back in early 1980's). The base club actually would sell beer to Navy personnel who were 18 when I first got to Little Creek, but it soon changed to 21 due to pressure from the state of Virginia (which was at 21)
Ronald Reagan was the death of pretty much any state/local government setting a lower drinking age than 21. Unfortunately, even though during the Vietnam War (which I'm sure Reagan very much believed in) the drinking age was lowered many places to allow young soldiers to drink, he with the help of MADD threatened all states to raise it back up or lose highway funds.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:17 PM

814 posts, read 1,150,307 times
I'm more concerned with open container laws.

Which are probably also a big part of the reason that alcohol vending machines just don't really make sense here, since it's not like you can just crack it open on the street in most places.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Japan has all kinds of vending machines, not just alcohol. We don't.
They have vending machines that sell cheap sushi....yuck. And then there's this:

types of vending machines japan - Bing Images

Talk about marketing to minors!!

Old 05-06-2015, 03:41 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
In college (a very long time ago) I converted coke machines to beer in a couple frat houses.
For three years I paid for everything, including tuition, in quarters.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:27 PM

New Orleans has no open container laws, but that city isn't a good moral example of anything. Its education system is bottom of the barrel, crime is sky high, poverty is sky high, and worst of all, it has an international reputation as a place where tourists only go to stir up trouble.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:36 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,312,539 times
Japan has some of the weirdest things known to man. In Japan you have a cuddle cafe, love hotels, naked festivals, odd game shows, a capsule hotel, and even toilet slippers. It's weird through our eyes but its normal for them. It's just a different culture and way of life.

The thing with Japanese vending machines is that they're not very different from ones found in Europe. It's their location and contents that are remarkable. You can find a vending machine at a temple, mountain top, and farms. You can expect to find underwear, toothbrushes and eggs in vending machines in Japan. The same goes with Alcohol.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:03 AM

I really, really wish religion would die. Religious people in the USA can't seem to keep their religion to themselves. Japan is one of the least religious nations.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:24 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,333,999 times
FWIW, scratch-off lottery tickets, some at up to $30.00 a pop, are offered for sale at vending machines here in Pennsylvania, and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of policing with regard to the age of the purchaser, save for those obvoiusly too young.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.