U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,464,129 times

Advertisements

Because underage people could easily buy them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:32 PM

3,737 posts, read 3,849,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Does Japan sell cigarettes in vending machines?

I think it has something to do with not selling products with a legal age attached to them in an environment without human controls. It's too easy for minor to access them.
Yes, they have cigarette vending machines, and they are pretty popular. They have all kinds of machines from cigarettes and alcohol to bananas, dildoes, and used panties. Pretty much anything you can put in a form of a vending machine, chances are it exists. The most popular ones you can see everywhere are the water/juice/alcohol and cigarette/coffee machines though.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:33 PM

33,882 posts, read 42,105,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
Ronald Reagan was the death of pretty much any state/local government setting a lower drinking age than 21. Unfortunately, even though during the Vietnam War (which I'm sure Reagan very much believed in) the drinking age was lowered many places to allow young soldiers to drink, he with the help of MADD threatened all states to raise it back up or lose highway funds.
I just learned something new, that Ronald Reagan is why there aren't alcohol vending machines in the US.

I guess Congress didn't pass that legislation you referenced.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:40 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

I can't provide any specfic knowledge of how the Japanese handle public intoxication, but given the strong belief in subjugation of the individual to a preceived "common good" and the importance of "face". I'd be willing to bet that the penalties are pretty stiff.
Actually I don't believe there are any penalties for public intoxication--and people often drink outside in parks or on the street during festivals and so on. It's more so though--that probably outside of super drunk salaryman(who you'll see completely wasted on the streets or in subway trains passed out) it would be considered shaming to the group you're with or your family to be stumbling around too drunk in public. But Japanese people like to drink and there's no social stigma involved with drinking, I just think that most people know the social decorum involved with drinking during certain events where everyone is having fun is going to be different than just going out being the town lush.

But I mean, I grabbed beer at vending machines and just drank it in the park in Japan a few times and no one cared.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-08-2015 at 01:09 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 12:43 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,133,831 times
I know the scratch-off lottery Self-Serv machines in GA. Scan your Driver Licence or State Issued ID.

Your birthday is encoded in the 3D barcode, and the Licence/ID number, is matched against the state Valid/Stolen ID database. So underage can not play.

People without ID have to have the Store release it for them to make purchase . The Store has a Lottery Issued "Special" barcode card, to activate the machine.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:36 PM

1,140 posts, read 975,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I just learned something new, that Ronald Reagan is why there aren't alcohol vending machines in the US.

I guess Congress didn't pass that legislation you referenced.
WHAT legislation?

Old 05-08-2015, 02:54 PM

33,882 posts, read 42,105,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
WHAT legislation?
The legislation referenced, supported by MADD, which penalized states which didn't raise their drinking ages to 21.

National Minimum Drinking Age Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It passed in a heavily Democratic Congress with veto proof majorities in both the Senate and the House. So yeah, it was Reagan's fault.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yes, they have cigarette vending machines, and they are pretty popular. They have all kinds of machines from cigarettes and alcohol to bananas, dildoes, and used panties. Pretty much anything you can put in a form of a vending machine, chances are it exists. The most popular ones you can see everywhere are the water/juice/alcohol and cigarette/coffee machines though.
Hell, they sell GUNS in vending machines over there...

Imagine that being the case in Detroit.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
In college (a very long time ago) I converted coke machines to beer in a couple frat houses.
For three years I paid for everything, including tuition, in quarters.
I remember hearing a story about a frat house that had a machine that dispensed cans of soda and cans of beer. The machine could only sell cans for one price, and beer cost nearly twice as much as soda. So the guy who filled the machine would alternate empty cans with full ones in the beer column. You had to pay twice to get one beer. The machine would dispense an empty can with the first purchase and a full one on the second.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:09 PM

Pennsylvania (where I live) has been debating whether or not to scrap its system of state-owned wine/spirits stores, which have a total monopoly on wines and spirits at retail except for duty-free shops. The same agency that owns these stores (very similar to the ABC stores in Virginia and North Carolina, but with more wine than spirits) also sets rules for beer stores in the state, despite those stores being privately owned, and thus the beer stores in PA really suck. Unfortunately, the far-left wing labor union that represents state store employees is poisoning people's minds with propaganda that the apocalypse will happen if privatization of the state stores happens. What really sucks is that conservative religious folks have been used as a puppet by the ultra-liberal union propagandists (what a strange alliance!) to silence any and all discussion of privatization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.