U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 12:36 AM

149 posts, read 170,297 times

Advertisements

man...it's freakin weird being a transient right now. I want to settle down and create my life in one of these places. I guess I made the huge mistake of going to Utah. What was I thinking? you were thinking that Utah would be super cool and not all second amendment. Wait isn't Oregon all second amendment too? ahhh, I might need to go back to the east coast and sort this out. New England!?

well...it is weird to be a transient in different cities and towns. Well I think its especially weird to be a transient in Utah. After this I think I might go to La grande Oregon, or some random town in Oregon and see how it feels out there. I need to stay and live my life in one of these dang places. Utah...no way Jose. But...Oregon-Washington I can really see going down.

Washington...maybe Pullman, maybe Ellensburg? and Oregon...again La Grande, or another random college town.

I think if this doesn't work out, I'm gonna try a place on the east coast. Maybe in CT, or Mass, maybe even VT, or NY. Or RI. Yea I guess thats my vibe right now...I can attempt to move to either OR or WA, or just give up and go back to the east. Wait...doesn't the south have some great towns too? Mississippi?! nah...or yea?

ahhh it's tough though because I'm coming in as a transient without any substantial plan. I'll be at risk of homelessness and all sorts of not fun crap. But I don't wanna discuss welfare benefits in this post! That sh*t is so depressing to be going on about all the time!

I just want to express how strange I feel on the inside going into these random places without a true plan, with little financial means and with general insecurity! ahhh...I wouldn't be scared of the east coast as much, maybe I would really like OR.

well okay lets include some quick cash assistance stuff. I want to be able to get a little cash assistance...and most of these places offer no help for individuals, only families and marriages...so now what?
ahhhhhhh

No wait... I want to go somewhere that isn't so car-centric. Maybe a town in Mass where everybody walks about and is just straight chilling. This Utah seems to be a world where everyone is driving on these majorly large roads...OR=bike riding though? Washington=driving insanity? I want to live where there are less cars and more bizarre and some cash assistance for individuals...is this a fail? am I bound to fail? is failure the only option? can somebody come save me from Utah?

ahhhhh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 03:02 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,052,068 times
If you're seeking government subsidies such as cash assistance, food stamps, etc. as a single person, you clearly made a series of mistakes along the way. And no, moving to Utah was not one of them.

I don't often agree with the popular sentiment "it's not the place, it's the person," but if the shoe fits...

Old 05-06-2015, 03:53 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,723,617 times
You should go back home to your family. You over-romanticize Oregon, people here are quite judgmental towards those who can't make a living for themselves, plus it's insanely expensive. I think people are a bit cruel and self righteous about the "bootstrap" crap myself, I've had to deal with it too, but I'd suggest going back to your parents on the East Coast. Maybe you could get a loan from them to move to a cheaper state closer to home? Why not consider Ohio or Minnesota?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:43 AM

4,740 posts, read 8,807,246 times
If you don't like guns or cars stay away from Mississippi and the South.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:37 PM

2,168 posts, read 4,747,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientsalmon View Post
man...it's freakin weird being a transient right now. I want to settle down and create my life in one of these places. I guess I made the huge mistake of going to Utah. What was I thinking? you were thinking that Utah would be super cool and not all second amendment. Wait isn't Oregon all second amendment too? ahhh, I might need to go back to the east coast and sort this out. New England!?

well...it is weird to be a transient in different cities and towns. Well I think its especially weird to be a transient in Utah. After this I think I might go to La grande Oregon, or some random town in Oregon and see how it feels out there. I need to stay and live my life in one of these dang places. Utah...no way Jose. But...Oregon-Washington I can really see going down.

Washington...maybe Pullman, maybe Ellensburg? and Oregon...again La Grande, or another random college town.

I think if this doesn't work out, I'm gonna try a place on the east coast. Maybe in CT, or Mass, maybe even VT, or NY. Or RI. Yea I guess thats my vibe right now...I can attempt to move to either OR or WA, or just give up and go back to the east. Wait...doesn't the south have some great towns too? Mississippi?! nah...or yea?

ahhh it's tough though because I'm coming in as a transient without any substantial plan. I'll be at risk of homelessness and all sorts of not fun crap. But I don't wanna discuss welfare benefits in this post! That sh*t is so depressing to be going on about all the time!

I just want to express how strange I feel on the inside going into these random places without a true plan, with little financial means and with general insecurity! ahhh...I wouldn't be scared of the east coast as much, maybe I would really like OR.

well okay lets include some quick cash assistance stuff. I want to be able to get a little cash assistance...and most of these places offer no help for individuals, only families and marriages...so now what?
ahhhhhhh

No wait... I want to go somewhere that isn't so car-centric. Maybe a town in Mass where everybody walks about and is just straight chilling. This Utah seems to be a world where everyone is driving on these majorly large roads...OR=bike riding though? Washington=driving insanity? I want to live where there are less cars and more bizarre and some cash assistance for individuals...is this a fail? am I bound to fail? is failure the only option? can somebody come save me from Utah?

ahhhhh

Seriously?

Just stay away from California please...especially the Bay Area.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
You should go back home to your family. You over-romanticize Oregon, people here are quite judgmental towards those who can't make a living for themselves, plus it's insanely expensive. I think people are a bit cruel and self righteous about the "bootstrap" crap myself, I've had to deal with it too, but I'd suggest going back to your parents on the East Coast. Maybe you could get a loan from them to move to a cheaper state closer to home? Why not consider Ohio or Minnesota?
yes! minnesota...I would go there for sure. It does seem like Oregon is over hyped...hmm well if it was really up to me I would go to Canada so Minnesota might actually be the spot. What about ND, Wisconsin?

okay. But no one has said too much on Washington...should I assume that its a similar vibe as Oregon?

Old 05-06-2015, 04:10 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,469,953 times
Quote:

okay. But no one has said too much on Washington...should I assume that its a similar vibe as Oregon?
Depends on what you mean. WA has a more developed eastern half of the state compared to OR. LaGrande or Ontario OR ain't really much to shake a stick at. LaGrande is technically a college town, but I think you'll find it unlike any college town in the east.

Central/East WA by comparison have some actual viable cities. But they'll lean a bit more like Utah than like Seattle, so whether you'd care for them, eh, hard to say.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
yes! minnesota...I would go there for sure. It does seem like Oregon is over hyped...hmm well if it was really up to me I would go to Canada so Minnesota might actually be the spot. What about ND, Wisconsin?

I don't even think the kind people in Minnesota would appreciate someone who was intentionally trying to cheat their system (though I suspect you have an undiagnosed disability and might actually need the help), but I do think they are probably less into the welfare queen witch hunt than virtually any other state.

North Dakota I wouldn't suggest because there aren't any sizable cities there, and if you're stuck out there in the winter it's even worse than MN and WI. Wisconsin seems a bit more unwelcoming than Minnesota, I know when I suggested interest in Madison on this forum most of the people there seemed to be unwelcoming to the idea while the Minneapolis people generally seemed happy at the idea of a Westerner wanting to live in their city.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Depends on what you mean. WA has a more developed eastern half of the state compared to OR. LaGrande or Ontario OR ain't really much to shake a stick at. LaGrande is technically a college town, but I think you'll find it unlike any college town in the east.

Central/East WA by comparison have some actual viable cities. But they'll lean a bit more like Utah than like Seattle, so whether you'd care for them, eh, hard to say.
Not to mention most parts of eastern Oregon and Washington are cold as balls during the winter, so you definitely do NOT want to be homeless there.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 PM

wait wait... I'm not looking for a big city, not even slightly. Right now I'm in Logan Utah population 49k...and this seems too big in my opinion. I want to aim for a college city/town that is smaller than this. With this criteria I could go probably anywhere. And no I'm not cheating a system, I just want to live somewhere that has a safety net for individuals. That is what it boils down to. And to suggest that I have a disability is false...it's more like I have the type of character who is willing to seek out a way to live in total freedom, rather than marginal or total conformity to the culture we live in. And so...this could probably steer me to be depressed or clinically able to receive benefits, because the society we live in is so structured around will power and pumping out babies. So fundamentally speaking I absolutely do not have anything clinically wrong. If I was in Canada, or Europe my problems would probably not even exist, because there is a safety net for individuals and people at large whereas in US it is still a sh*t show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or