U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times

Advertisements

It seems like most of these places are either resort towns [I'll add Key West, Sedona, Jackson (WY), and Monterey, (CA)] or small state capitols (I'll add Carson City and Juneau).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:13 AM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It seems like most of these places are either resort towns [I'll add Key West, Sedona, Jackson (WY), and Monterey, (CA)] or small state capitols (I'll add Carson City and Juneau).
Or corporate HQ locations.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:30 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times
Categories of small cosmopolitan towns in US are most likely:

1. College towns (majority)
2. Resort towns
3. Isolated corporate HQ locations (some, likely only the globalized, technology intensive, or very large)
4. State capitals (some)
5. Suburbs.

Mount Dora, FL; Skaneateles, NY; New Hope, PA are perhaps some combination of #2 and #5, if one sees "cosmpolitan" as a combination of "quaint + arty".

Old 05-08-2015, 11:47 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post

Mount Dora, FL; Skaneateles, NY; New Hope, PA are perhaps some combination of #2 and #5, if one sees "cosmopolitan" as a combination of "quaint + arty".
Cosmopolitan requires more than "quaint and arty" and would include attributes such as worldly, sophisticated or fashionable...and Mount Dora FL is not an example of that.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:59 PM

12,414 posts, read 11,913,851 times
Quote:

2. Resort towns
3. Isolated corporate HQ locations (some, likely only the globalized, technology intensive, or very large)
4. State capitals (some)
5. Suburbs.

Mount Dora, FL; Skaneateles, NY; New Hope, PA are perhaps some combination of #2 and #5, if one sees "cosmpolitan" as a combination of "quaint + arty".
Suburbs are seldom cosmopolitan on their own. But in some areas (particularly Southeastern Pennsylvania) there were a lot of walkable small towns which were later surrounded by suburbia. This has resulted in a form of gentrification which completely transforms the communities.

That said, I'm not sure just because they're walkable, semi-urban, and desirable I'd call them cosmopolitan.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:20 PM

56,517 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Suburbs are seldom cosmopolitan on their own. But in some areas (particularly Southeastern Pennsylvania) there were a lot of walkable small towns which were later surrounded by suburbia. This has resulted in a form of gentrification which completely transforms the communities.

That said, I'm not sure just because they're walkable, semi-urban, and desirable I'd call them cosmopolitan.
A community like West Chester in SE PA may be the best bet in that regard.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:55 PM

5,835 posts, read 10,779,975 times
Quote:

2. Resort towns
4. State capitals (some)
5. Suburbs.

I would agree with this.

Overall, based on what the responses have been, regions that have cosmopolitan small towns in the US:

East:
New York state
Parts of New England
Southeastern section of Pennsylvania
Southern States that touch have an Atlantic coast (Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia wasn't mentioned, but could have areas)
Florida Keys
NW Arkansas

West:
Ski towns in Colorado and Utah
North central New Mexico with their major art colony history
Gateway towns into National Parks (Jackson, Moab, etc.)
Places that have a filming history (Sedona)
Some former picturesque mining towns (Bisbee)
California wine region towns, as well as Central Coast towns along coast

Any others??

Old 05-09-2015, 03:08 PM

86,983 posts, read 102,540,351 times
I would not call most of the ski towns in CO "cosmopolitan". Oh, they may have community theater, a few things like that, but mostly they're just tourist traps. Restaurants selling overpriced food, shops with completely useless bric a brac, etc.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I would not call most of the ski towns in CO "cosmopolitan". Oh, they may have community theater, a few things like that, but mostly they're just tourist traps. Restaurants selling overpriced food, shops with completely useless bric a brac, etc.
What are your favorite towns in the Rockies?

Old 05-09-2015, 04:59 PM

86,983 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
What are your favorite towns in the Rockies?
Steamboat is nice, but still touristy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.