U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Region Has The Most Speeders?
New England 10 15.38%
Mid-Atlantic 16 24.62%
Mid-West 2 3.08%
West 11 16.92%
Pacific West 2 3.08%
Southwest 6 9.23%
South 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:29 PM

1,743 posts, read 961,103 times

Advertisements

People seem to drive very fast here in Texas. In each state on our way to Myrtle Beach, the folks seemed to drive significantly slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:39 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times
Define "speeder"? Is it those who are given high speed limits within which to drive legally, or is it those who significantly exceed the speed limit, whatever it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
People seem to drive very fast here in Texas. .
I would have said the opposite. Yes, traffic on the freeways around Dallas appears fatalistic. But out here in rural Texas, where the speed limit is 70 on FM roads, most Texans drive pretty prudently on those roads, and stay in the 60s or even 50's according to the road condition. Even if enforcement allowe it, maintaining 75 on a road with no shoulder and hills and curves and large mammals with minds of their own can be pretty tiring, and people are inclined to just not do it.

My experience is that pretty much everywhere, people who live in the country don't just speed through, they pay attention to the country that they depend on for a livelihood, even if they do it every day, sometimes just stopping on the road and getting out and tasting the soil for pH.

Here in Victoria, my visitors from the midwest are astonished at how relaxed and easily-paced (they call it "stodgy") the flow of traffic is on the city arterials. I have to keep reminding them to slow down, they are too conspicuous.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-10-2015 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 12:59 PM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
The Northeast, in particular New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Maryland.
Huh? The clowns from these states won't drive faster than 65 in Michigan even though the speed limit is 70.

I drive 80-100 every day going back and forth to work on Detroit freeways.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:47 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,160,499 times
From my experiences MD, PA, NYC, NJ drives the fastest. Within DC city limits, from my experience, is the most aggressive.

Old 05-10-2015, 05:49 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
From my experiences MD, PA, NYC, NJ drives the fastest. Within DC city limits, from my experience, is the most aggressive.
Not my experience for PA drivers at all. They're slow as hell on our highways.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,196,385 times
The south. The idiots on the roads act like nobody else is on them and since they pay like 4 cents a paycheck to roads, they act like they own them and can do whatever they want on them. Plus the speed limits on many interstates down here are over 70 mph.

The Northeast? No. Maybe the most impatient, but they can't average more than 45 mph in the traffic they have up there.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Define "speeder"? Is it those who are given high speed limits within which to drive legally, or is it those who significantly exceed the speed limit, whatever it is?

I would have said the opposite. Yes, traffic on the freeways around Dallas appears fatalistic. But out here in rural Texas, where the speed limit is 70 on FM roads, most Texans drive pretty prudently on those roads, and stay in the 60s or even 50's according to the road condition. Even if enforcement allowe it, maintaining 75 on a road with no shoulder and hills and curves and large mammals with minds of their own can be pretty tiring, and people are inclined to just not do it.

My experience is that pretty much everywhere, people who live in the country don't just speed through, they pay attention to the country that they depend on for a livelihood, even if they do it every day, sometimes just stopping on the road and getting out and tasting the soil for pH.

Here in Victoria, my visitors from the midwest are astonished at how relaxed and easily-paced (they call it "stodgy") the flow of traffic is on the city arterials. I have to keep reminding them to slow down, they are too conspicuous.
I worked in East Texas a LOT throughout my life and the surface street drivers aren't bad, but the interstate drivers are awful. Dallas is tedious but not as bad as Miami, Baton Rouge, or New Orleans.

There are 20+ mile stretches of bridges in South Louisiana where everybody knows cops are going to have a difficult time catching you. If you're driving on I-10 West out of NOLA, and as soon as you get past the 310 change, people will get pissed at you if you don't speed.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,531,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
The south. The idiots on the roads act like nobody else is on them and since they pay like 4 cents a paycheck to roads, they act like they own them and can do whatever they want on them. Plus the speed limits on many interstates down here are over 70 mph.

The Northeast? No. Maybe the most impatient, but they can't average more than 45 mph in the traffic they have up there.
Haha you know nothing about the Northeast!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haha you know nothing about the Northeast!
You wanna back that up?

Speed limits are almost always posted 60 from Philly through Boston (from what I've seen). I've driven that entire way a few times. Speed limit on I-49 through most of LA is 75, flat, and wide open straight for about 20-30 miles a section. Speed limit in West Texas is 80 on I-10.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,992,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
You wanna back that up?

Speed limits are almost always posted 60 from Philly through Boston (from what I've seen). I've driven that entire way a few times. Speed limit on I-49 through most of LA is 75, flat, and wide open straight for about 20-30 miles a section. Speed limit in West Texas is 80 on I-10.

I was driving 80+ when the speed limit was 55. What's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or