U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Region Has The Most Speeders?
New England 10 15.38%
Mid-Atlantic 16 24.62%
Mid-West 2 3.08%
West 11 16.92%
Pacific West 2 3.08%
Southwest 6 9.23%
South 18 27.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-2015, 11:09 AM

12,657 posts, read 10,497,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
You wanna back that up?

Speed limits are almost always posted 60 from Philly through Boston (from what I've seen). I've driven that entire way a few times. Speed limit on I-49 through most of LA is 75, flat, and wide open straight for about 20-30 miles a section. Speed limit in West Texas is 80 on I-10.
You think that stops people from going 90? If anything, the fact that speed limits are lower and people STILL ignore them, going 20+ above posted limits, proves the mentality and behavior of drivers here. People simply don't care about speed limits, even on regular roads. 25 means 35 in NJ. 35 means 45. Some parts of the GSP have a speed limit of 55… you actually think people go 55? Hell no, they go 80. Do you think people on Staten Island go 45 in the construction zones on the SI Expressway? Nope again. Try 75. Even with the threat of doubled traffic fines in a construction zone.

Back what up? I live here. Just because you've been through here a few times and see posted speed limits doesn't mean people abide by them. It's quite naive to think people actually listen to speed limits - more like speed "suggestions."

By the question, "which region has the most speeders?" I instantly thought it meant "which region has the most people who ignore speed limits and do what they want?" not "which region has the highest speed limits?" A "speeder" to me is someone who goes beyond the posted limits.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 11:25 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,193,978 times
You think people don't do that in the south - where there's less drivers and more drive time between places?

LA State cops will not pull you over unless you're doing over 85 on I-49 (or you have out of state tags). Also, as I said before, we have flat and straight roads. When you have nobody on the road like the middle of LA has, it's much easier to speed by accident. I-10 west bound is closed right now from New Orleans to Baton Rouge because some 18 wheeler tipped over - thanks to a speeder cutting him off on one of the bridges. This is pretty typical.

These bridges have no on / off ramps for 15+ miles at a time ... think about that.

I'm not lying when I say you are expected to speed coming out of NOLA - people will get mad and will do stupid **** to get around you (if not try to run you off the road and shoot you - somebody attempted to murder a cop by gunfire in St. Charles Parish last month out of road rage). There aren't any segments of road in the country like the roads in South LA - we have 3 or 4 of the longest bridges in the world down here and cops do not set up on them (except the Causeway, which has its own police force) except on days like Mardi Gras (And those fests adds to the idiocy too).

No way on earth the NE speeds more than the south. Maybe vs the northern parts of the south like Arkansas or Tennessee (hilly / more sane), but not more than the I-10 corridor and I-49.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-11-2015 at 11:34 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You think people don't do that in the south - where there's less drivers and more drive time between places?

LA State cops will not pull you over unless you're doing over 85 on I-49 (or you have out of state tags). Also, as I said before, we have flat and straight roads. When you have nobody on the road like the middle of LA has, it's much easier to speed by accident. I-10 west bound is closed right now from New Orleans to Baton Rouge because some 18 wheeler tipped over - thanks to a speeder cutting him off on one of the bridges. This is pretty typical.

These bridges have no on / off ramps for 15+ miles at a time ... think about that.

I'm not lying when I say you are expected to speed coming out of NOLA - people will get mad and will do stupid **** to get around you (if not try to run you off the road and shoot you - a cop was murdered by gunfire in St. Charles Parish last month out of road rage). There aren't any segments of road in the country like the roads in South LA - we have 3 or 4 of the longest bridges in the world down here and cops do not set up on them (except the Causeway, which has its own police force) except on days like Mardi Gras (And those fests adds to the idiocy too).

No way on earth the NE speeds more than the south. Maybe vs the northern parts of the south like Arkansas or Tennessee, but not more than the I-10 corridor and I-49.
I can't speak for other regions, so I don't try to. I only speak from my experience where I live. I'm simply saying you're wrong about where I live.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:34 AM

74 posts, read 57,660 times
The Mid Atlantic part - New York, Maryland, DC, New Jersey

It was night and day compared to where I was staying in North Carolina. Talk about in your face!

Old 05-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I can't speak for other regions, so I don't try to. I only speak from my experience where I live. I'm simply saying you're wrong about where I live.
What part? Not avg more than 45? If I try to drive from Philly to Boston in a most direct way, I'm not going to get very much more than 45 mph on avg (unless I plan it at night time). I'll hit traffic snags in New York for sure. Definitely in Manhattan going through the Bronx (I stood in that parking lot for too many hours). If I go the same distance, the most direct route from Shreveport to New Orleans (I-49 to I-10 deathbed), I'll average around 68 mph for the entire trip - including gas stops every single time (assuming some idiot between Lafayette and NOLA doesn't kill somebody - or me). And that's if I just do 5 over the whole trip.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:51 AM

8,002 posts, read 16,055,973 times
Quote:
I find drivers to be far more aggressive in the Northeast (and we do go as fast as we can when we can), but drivers in the South (in my experience) are just faster because they can be. The only exception to this that I've noticed is Northern Maine. There, the speed limit is 70 on I-95 and trucks and drivers alike regularly cruise at close to 90-100. People will come up on you fast on Route 1 from Houlton to points north as well. It's much more comparable to the South.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 AM

34,371 posts, read 41,455,107 times
I think speeding happens everywhere so where the most speeders would be would be in that place with the highest population density,probably the northeast.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
What part? Not avg more than 45? If I try to drive from Philly to Boston in a most direct way, I'm not going to get very much more than 45 mph on avg (unless I plan it at night time). I'll hit traffic snags in New York for sure. Definitely in Manhattan going through the Bronx (I stood in that parking lot for too many hours). If I go the same distance, the most direct route from Shreveport to New Orleans (I-49 to I-10 deathbed), I'll average around 68 mph for the entire trip - including gas stops every single time (assuming some idiot between Lafayette and NOLA doesn't kill somebody - or me). And that's if I just do 5 over the whole trip.
How about local highways? Ones that don't take you from one major city to another. Like the Garden State Parkway from my exit to the beach? In the winter? Don't tell me about my region and I won't tell you about yours. Quite simple. Of course there will be traffic in the densest part of the country going from one major Northeastern city to another. It doesn't mean people don't speed, even along that same route. Not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Again - my definition of speeders is people who defy the speed limit, by a decent margin. You can go 68 from Shreveport to New Orleans. Congrats. But are you speeding? 68 is not speeding by our standards. That's normal-ish.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
How about local highways? Ones that don't take you from one major city to another. Like the Garden State Parkway from my exit to the beach? In the winter? Don't tell me about my region and I won't tell you about yours. Quite simple. Of course there will be traffic in the densest part of the country going from one major Northeastern city to another. It doesn't mean people don't speed, even along that same route. Not sure what you're trying to prove here.

Again - my definition of speeders is people who defy the speed limit, by a decent margin. You can go 68 from Shreveport to New Orleans. Congrats. But are you speeding? 68 is not speeding by our standards. That's normal-ish.
I can't explain something about "your" region that I know? Okay, I'll just go back to the New Orleans forum and stay there since you run this up in here.

The ability to speed is more abundant in the south, and people take it more often. It's my experience, whether you wanna believe it or not well ... Doesn't matter. I'm still gonna say what I wanna say

Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I can't explain something about "your" region that I know? Okay, I'll just go back to the New Orleans forum and stay there since you run this up in here.

The ability to speed is more abundant in the south, and people take it more often. It's my experience, whether you wanna believe it or not well ... Doesn't matter. I'm still gonna say what I wanna say
What do you know? That there's traffic on highways connecting cities with millions of people? That's not the entire Northeast. The entire Northeast doesn't have traffic 24/7 on every highway or road. Your point is ridiculous and that's what I'm telling you. You sound like you drove a highway like the Turnpike from Philly to NYC at 4 in the afternoon or something once or twice and are trying to base the whole Northeast off the fact that there was traffic. It's a stupid point. Traffic doesn't diminish the fact that people speed. And your comparison is unfair anyway. NOLA doesn't even have 400,000 people and Shreveport has like 200,000. You're comparing this to the stretch between Philly and Boston, cities with millions with New York in between. Where will more traffic be logically?

You're being ridiculous and petty in your argument. Your second paragraph proves that. I don't really care about speeders in the South. I'm talking about where I live and discussing your odd argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or