U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 03:28 AM

18,522 posts, read 9,574,204 times

Advertisements

Austin comes automatically to mind. Someone mentioned Greenville and I have to say I lived there and would recommend as well though maybe smaller than your target.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:57 AM

61 posts, read 64,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Try moving to South Florida or Central Florida it may be a good fit for you maybe even Las Vegas, NV area.
My brother lives in South Florida. I am not a fan of the areas general seediness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Sounds like Phoenix, Arizona. I can tell you my parent's 4/2 house in the suburbs was no more than 150k. Huge presence of young people thanks to ASU. And believe me, Arizonans are not very fond of immigrants in general. Phoenix has a pretty decent economy I would say. Also, if you prefer living amongst the religious, if you look more at outer-ring suburbs like Queen Creek, Gilbert, Surprise... there are more Mormons than how many there are closer to town but, there are religious people all over Arizona. Crime here is also in certain neighborhoods so as long as you don't live in those neighborhoods, you are good.

As someone who lived in Phoenix for 20 years and has visited Southern California often, I would say Phoenix resembles San Diego more than LA. Though there are many differences even then. Also, you won't experience a "culture shock" if you move to Phoenix.
I don't know where you're smart comments in regards to "immigrants" became warranted. I love immigrants and I am not white. I said that I do not like illegals, calling them immigrants is like calling a squatter a homeowner and is a big spit in the face of people with integrity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
This is just a wonderful description of Arizona. What great religious values you've got out there. The only time you'll ever see me in a church or a synagogue is for a wedding or a funeral. Otherwise I steer clear for all the obvious reasons....
Your rude comments about religion are unwarranted, this is not a thread to showcase your agenda. It is childish for you to hijack my thread into some anti-Christian diatribe. I don't see folks doin this on the 10k threads looking for "a progressive and liberal area" or "somewhere with lots of black culture". Please do not try to desperately inject your agenda into everything it makes you look like a angry child who is red faced that someone would have the audacity to disagree with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Austin comes automatically to mind. Someone mentioned Greenville and I have to say I lived there and would recommend as well though maybe smaller than your target.
Yes, Greenville is nice but quite small. Do you think that suburban Charlotte would work?

Old 05-09-2015, 08:45 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,358,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post

Your rude comments about religion are unwarranted, this is not a thread to showcase your agenda. It is childish for you to hijack my thread into some anti-Christian diatribe. I don't see folks doin this on the 10k threads looking for "a progressive and liberal area" or "somewhere with lots of black culture". Please do not try to desperately inject your agenda into everything it makes you look like a angry child who is red faced that someone would have the audacity to disagree with you.
I am not anti-Christian. I simply don't like intolerance of any kind whether it is a pretend Christian or a Satanic cult member. Your dislike of immigrants and liberals is clear. That is not quite the same as someone qualifying they want to be in a diverse area. Have fun with your hate. I was best man at my best friend's wedding (he is a libertarian, a real one). Have total respect for him. I won't be back to this thread. I agree Northwest Arkansas looks good for you. Good luck to you.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I am not anti-Christian. I simply don't like intolerance of any kind whether it is a pretend Christian or a Satanic cult member. Your dislike of immigrants and liberals is clear. That is not quite the same as someone qualifying they want to be in a diverse area. Have fun with your hate. I was best man at my best friend's wedding (he is a libertarian, a real one). Have total respect for him. I won't be back to this thread. I agree Northwest Arkansas looks good for you. Good luck to you.
I don't dislike immigrants, I dislike illegals. I also don't dislike liberals, I disagree with them.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:31 AM

18,522 posts, read 9,574,204 times
Yes, Greenville is nice but quite small. Do you think that suburban Charlotte would work?[/quote]

Yes, I like Charlotte also and their economy is stronger than Greenville. But Greenville, SC has an outstanding downtown and Main Street area that make it a very pleasant place.

I don't recall what your vocation is but it's likely going to be difficult to get a salary in Greenville or Charlotte equal to an OC County salary. However, my company was headquartered in OC and also had a large office in Greenville. So when they transferred people to Greenville from the Irvine office, they never wanted to leave as their salary was set to SoCal and they were able to live quite well in the very inexpensive city of Greenville.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, Greenville is nice but quite small. Do you think that suburban Charlotte would work?
Yes, I like Charlotte also and their economy is stronger than Greenville. But Greenville, SC has an outstanding downtown and Main Street area that make it a very pleasant place.

I don't recall what your vocation is but it's likely going to be difficult to get a salary in Greenville or Charlotte equal to an OC County salary. However, my company was headquartered in OC and also had a large office in Greenville. So when they transferred people to Greenville from the Irvine office, they never wanted to leave as their salary was set to SoCal and they were able to live quite well in the very inexpensive city of Greenville.[/quote]

I'm currently not working but before I lost my mom I was a manager at a bank. I am not too concerned as long as I can make a living wage. I will be purchasing my home cash (or with a small loan for the tax write off) with my 3rd of the profit from the sale of my parents home. So I don't need to go for the biggest salary, just one that will pay my utilities, property taxes, car payment etc. the biggest expense is housing and for me that will be covered!

I am reading good things about Greenville. Can you recommend a nice area that I can "walk throug" on Google street view and look at real estate?

Old 05-09-2015, 11:38 AM

5,230 posts, read 11,674,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape from Los Angeles View Post
And can you tell me why?

I have also read great things about NW Arkansas
Oklahoma is full of tornadoes and Arkansas doesn't fare so well either although NW AR is quite lovely. I moved from Burbank, CA many years ago to Texas and I'll take the quakes any day to what comes out of the sky. I truly want to move from Texas and get out of the south and am looking into Boise, Idaho or southern Utah when I retire in three years. I would move back to Burbank in a heartbeat, but I can't afford the housing. I sold my home in 1978 for $68,000 and last year, it sold for $769,000. I may be stuck in Texas forever as housing here is quite inexpensive. Of course, at my age, forever isn't that far away. I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited by Canine*Castle; 05-09-2015 at 11:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2015, 11:49 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,782,146 times
I would stay west of the Rockies for climate and social reasons. Reno NV. Portland OR. Colorado Springs CO. Albuquerque NM. or Boise ID. end of my list.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:00 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,512,111 times
OP, I'm sorry to hear that people have been saying hurtful things to you, but I don't see anything inappropriate on this thread. It seems like folks are giving you a lot of really solid, thoughtful advice.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:10 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,285,260 times
Raleigh or Austin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.