U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:11 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,383,727 times

Advertisements

It reminded me a lot of Chicago. I thought it was pretty cool I could take the MegaBus there from Philly haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:16 PM

18,506 posts, read 9,567,372 times
I liked Toronto when I visited but I wouldn't put it on the level with NYC. More like a bigger Minneapolis.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:25 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
Toronto is my favorite city in the world. Which makes sense because my favorite American cities are Minneapolis and Chicago.

It's very comparable to Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, DC... cities on that level. But it is distinctly Northern too, and soooooooooooooooooooooo diverse.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:51 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,462,982 times
Toronto and Chicago is an interesting comparison, though I find Toronto a bit less...grubby?

Both cities put their shiniest faces up against the waterfront of a Great Lake. Toronto has Lake Shore Blvd to Chicago's Lake Shore Drive.

Tough call, since both have charms, but if I had to choose one to live in and one to be a tourist in, I'd be a tourist in Chicago and live in Toronto. You know, if I could afford it.

Maple Leafs vs. Blackhawks...well...

Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
I have lived half my live in Chicago, half in Portland and now am living in Cleveland. I would move to Toronto in a heartbeat if I could A. afford to and B. if they would let me in.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:50 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,595,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
It's a cleaner, safer, friendlier, less impoverished version of Chicago with less to do, less diversity (but still more than most cities), worse bars, less character, crappy beaches, and less options in terms of food (both ethnic and fine-dining).

That said, it's a great city to visit, and I'd be happy living there, but I'd prefer the big cities in the Northeastern and Midwestern USA.

This post is like something straight out of Bizzaro world. Everything is the opposite of what it should be.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:07 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,511,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
This post is like something straight out of Bizzaro world. Everything is the opposite of what it should be.
Do elaborate, please.

Cleanliness: Downtown Chicago is clean, the rest of the city, not as much. Toronto wins.

Crime: Do we really have to discuss this? In 2014, Chicago had 435 homicides; Toronto had 18. This is absurd. Toronto obviously wins.

Friendliness: Canadians, from my experience are the nicest people in the world. Toronto.

Poverty: Much like crime, this really is a no brainer. Canada does a good job of supporting its less fortunate. Toronto.

Diversity: While Toronto is one of the most diverse cities in the world, it still cannot touch Chicago. Chicagoland has over a million Hispanics, over two million African Americans, over 800,000 Polish Americans. Chicago has one of the largest Korean populations outside Korea, a thieving Vietnamese community. Greater socio-economic diversity than Toronto. It's hard to find solid statistics, but I feel that Chicago has more LGBT people than Toronto. Chicago.

Beaches: Chicago has some of the best beaches in the US. The entire lakefront, save for a few blocks in Edgewater is open to the public. How many public beaches does Toronto have? Two? Chicago wins.

Character: Toronto doesn't have the grit of Chicago's Southside, the working-class identity of Beverly, the crazed sports fans of who watch the Bears play outside in freezing weather. Toronto doesn't have loud, rattling el-trains. Toronto does not dye an entire river green for St. Patrick's Day. Toronto was never the hog butcher of the world. Chicago takes the cake here.

Bars: From sports bars in Wrigleyville, to craftcocktail lounges in Wicker Park, to high-end champagne bars in the Gold Coast, to dive bars in Bridgeport, to jazz clubs in Uptown and Bronzeville, to dance clubs in Boystown and Lincoln Park, Chicago knows how to drink. Toronto doesn't come close. Chicago.

Food: With restaurants like Alinea, Grace, Tru, and Sixteen, Chicago has can only be topped by New York (and debatable San Francisco in terms of fine dining). Toronto doesn't hold a candle to the soul food, taquerias, hot dog stands, burger joints, diners, and phu shops. Chicago invented the jiberito sandwich. Chicago.

Character (very subjective) and diversity are perhaps debatable. Everything else is pretty cut-and-dry.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 05-08-2015 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-08-2015, 07:14 PM

1,630 posts, read 3,595,165 times
Cleanliness: downtown Chicago is cleaner than downtown Toronto, while Toronto is cleaner outside the downtown area.

Crime: Yes of course Toronto has a much lower homicide rate, I wasn't really referring to that in my post, however your numbers are wrong as Toronto had 57 homicides in 2014.

Poverty: Chicago probably does have more extreme poverty, but Toronto also has more than its fair share.

Diversity: This is where things go into Bizarro Land. There's too much info to type here, so I'll just leave this link here for you to take a look at -- Demographics of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Scroll down to make sure you see all the info pertaining to the metropolitan area). Sorry, but Toronto's depth of diversity is on another level if we're talking about how many large groups of people (in at least the 10s of thousands) from countries and regions all over the world call the city and surrounding suburbs home, not to mention that half of the city is foreign born. Toronto is also one of the gayest cities on the planet, with one of the world's largest pride celebrations.

Beaches: Toronto has a lot more than two beaches, I'm not sure exactly how many there are, but this articles rates the top 5.
The top five beaches in Toronto

Character: Toronto has plenty of grit both East and West of downtown in neighbourhoods such as Parkdale, Kensington, Bloordale, Weston, Chinatown and Chinatown East, Little India, and The Junction Triangle. There are also plenty of gritty hoods in the former boroughs which are full of aging high rise apartments owned by Toronto community housing. Toronto has crazy hockey and basketball fans and it has old, noisy streetcars which rattle down the streets which are every bit as iconic as Chicago's El trains. There are also subways trains here, but we hear them clunking by underneath the street as we walk over the vents on the sidewalk and a gust of air blows up from below.

Bars: Toronto has every type of bar, club or lounge that a person could want, just like Chicago. I don't know why you would assume it was somehow lacking in this area?

Food: Toronto is pretty unbeatable in terms of cheap and mid level ethnic restaurants, they are ubiquitous in every part of the city. The borough of Scarborough was recently hailed by one food critic as being home to the best ethic food offerings in the world. Economist says world's best ethnic food in Scarborough
Chicago is only better for fine dining, that's it.

So, yeah, most of which you consider "cut and dry" has been folded up and put in the drawer.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:43 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,511,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post

Diversity: This is where things go into Bizarro Land. There's too much info to type here, so I'll just leave this link here for you to take a look at -- Demographics of Toronto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Scroll down to make sure you see all the info pertaining to the metropolitan area). Sorry, but Toronto's depth of diversity is on another level if we're talking about how many large groups of people (in at least the 10s of thousands) from countries and regions all over the world call the city and surrounding suburbs home, not to mention that half of the city is foreign born. Toronto is also one of the gayest cities on the planet, with one of the world's largest pride celebrations.

Beaches: Toronto has a lot more than two beaches, I'm not sure exactly how many there are, but this articles rates the top 5.
The top five beaches in Toronto

Character: Toronto has plenty of grit both East and West of downtown in neighbourhoods such as Parkdale, Kensington, Bloordale, Weston, Chinatown and Chinatown East, Little India, and The Junction Triangle. There are also plenty of gritty hoods in the former boroughs which are full of aging high rise apartments owned by Toronto community housing. Toronto has crazy hockey and basketball fans and it has old, noisy streetcars which rattle down the streets which are every bit as iconic as Chicago's El trains. There are also subways trains here, but we hear them clunking by underneath the street as we walk over the vents on the sidewalk and a gust of air blows up from below.

Bars: Toronto has every type of bar, club or lounge that a person could want, just like Chicago. I don't know why you would assume it was somehow lacking in this area?

Food: Toronto is pretty unbeatable in terms of cheap and mid level ethnic restaurants, they are ubiquitous in every part of the city. The borough of Scarborough was recently hailed by one food critic as being home to the best ethic food offerings in the world. Economist says world's best ethnic food in Scarborough
Chicago is only better for fine dining, that's it.

So, yeah, most of which you consider "cut and dry" has been folded up and put in the drawer.
We're pretty much on the same page as far a crime, poverty, and cleanliness.

I think we could agree that Chicago is better when it comes to food. We'll call it a draw for ethnic food, but Chicago is better in terms of street food and fine dining.

As far as beaches, I think your link proves my point. Yes, Toronto has more than two beaches (I knew that--I was exaggerating), but it can't compare with Chicago's 28 miles (45 km.) of public coastline.

So it seems that we're most heavily disagreeing on diversity, character, and bars.

In my post, I wrote that diversity was debatable. And I'd like to hear what other posters have to say.

Character is subject and it shouldn't have been used to compare the two cities. I'll take the blame on that.

In terms of bars, I still feel like Chicago has more bars than Toronto. If someone has hard data, I'd like to see it.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:50 PM

696 posts, read 880,852 times
I think of Toronto as the Most "American" Canadian city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or